therightpath
9spaceking

the purpose of LIFE

9spaceking

therightpath

Pro

What is the Purpose of Life?
A Muslim Perspective
By Arshad Gamiet
Experience IslamWeek
Thursday 6th March 2008
Main Lecture Theatre
Royal Holloway University of London

Dear friends, I greet you with the greeting words of paradise, As-salaamu 'alaykum, warahma
tullaahi wabarakaatuh!May the Peace and Mercy and Blessings of God, Allah, be with you!
These days, our busy lives have become so frenetic, many of us find no time for contemplation,
for reflection, for taking in the Big Picture, and for asking the Big Questions. Our work, study,
sport, recreation and family life keeps us constantly engaged in the detail. But we must
occasionally step outside this routine. We
must reflect and ponder what might seem
imponderable. We enjoy learning about the
natural world, watching David
Attenborough documentaries. We look at the
world around us, from the microcosmic to
the macrocosmic, from spinning electrons in
the realm of quantum physics to those
spectacular galaxies viewed through the
Hubble telescope. Where did all this come
from? How did the cosmos begin? Where
will it end, and most compelling of all
questions, why? Why are we here? What is the purpose of life? What"s the point of my life? An
individual human life, set out on the enormous canvas of space and time, appears to be so
infinitesimally small and insignificant. What is my own place in the great cosmic scheme of
things? What happens to me when I die? Is death just a big black hole, or is there some form of
conscious existence after death? Is this really important? Do I care? Should I care? Or, should I
just push these thoughts out of sight and get on with the laundry, do the shopping, or rush to
complete those work deadlines that must be met?
Now, we can bury those big questions under so many immediate priorities of daily life. But, like
a nagging headache, they lurk in the back of our minds, and they resurface, time and again. Why
am I here? What is the purpose of my life?
Science is very good at telling us how things work, but the why part is another matter.
Programmes on science and astronomy, and David Attenborough"s award winning natural
history films tell us about the fragile, complex relationships that sustain life on our planet. But
they don"t tell us why we"re here. That question belongs to the realm of philosophy and faith.
2
"Why" is probably the most difficult question to answer, if we rely
entirely on our limited human resources. Here I have a pen and a
watch. I know that someone made this pen, and its purpose is to
write. Someone made this watch to tell the time. If the pen writes
beautifully and the watch tells time accurately, then they fulfil the
purpose for which they were made. But what about human beings?
What about us?
What is the purpose of human life? Some people might well ask, does life have any purpose at
all? Are we not simply the product of some chance encounter, a random collision of atoms and
molecules? Did we not simply evolve from the primordial ooze, unaided by any higher
intelligence, over aeons of time since the big bang 14 billion years ago? Surely there"s no place
for God in this equation! Some would argue, there"s no proof that God exists! Life has no higher
purpose, they say. These are all musings from ancient books of religion, with no relevance today!
You know, when I consider the finely tuned laws of
physics and biology that sustain life on our planet,
the dozens of chemical and biological processes that
are at work, right now, within my own body,
keeping me comfortable, healthy and alive, unaided
by my conscious will, I find it hard to believe it all
began by chance. I find it so hard to believe that a
completely random and chaotic beginning could
produce so much order, so much beauty and balance
without an Intelligent Creator behind it. The
mathematical probability of creating so much order,
design and harmony from an utterly chaotic and
cataclysmic event, just boggles my mind. Sir Fred
Hoyle, the noted astronomer who died some years
ago, gave this analogy. He said that if you believe the universe was created purely by chance, it"s
like saying, a tornado can tear its way through a junkyard, and as it passes, it leaves a complete
Boeing 747 assembled and ready for take-off!
My friends, if anyone can believe that, they"ll believe
anything. For me, it seems much more rational and
reasonable to believe that everything around us is the result
of a conscious, deliberate act of creation, not simply a
cosmic accident. This crucial argument is what separates
believers, people of all faiths on one hand, from nonbelievers
or atheists on the other.
In the final analysis, we have a choice: to believe or not to believe. And, as with every other
choice we make in our lives, there are consequences. As long as we accept these consequences,
we can believe whatever we like.
Let us now address the question:What is Islam"s view on the Purpose of Life?
3
Are we here just because God was bored, so He created us for idle sport, or are we part of a
purposeful creation?
The Holy Quran tells us, [in Sura Zariyaat, Ch 52:v56]
"I have not created Jinn and Mankind except that they should worship me." [Sura Dhariyat 51:v56]
In another verse, Allah says that: "Laqad karamna bani Aadam"" "I have truly honoured the
Children of Adam, giving them mastery over land and sea, and over a greater part of My
creation""[Sura 17:v70]
These 2 verses confirm that God created the world for our enjoyment, and He created us to thank
Him, to worship Him. The word for faith, Iman in Arabic, also has a strong connotation of
gratitude. The word kafir has connotes ingratitude, and describes one who denies God, who
denies faith and therefore refuses to thank Him. In another place, Muslims recite in every prayer:
"Truly, my prayer, my sacrifice, my life and my death is for God, the Lord of all the worlds. I do
not ascribe partners to Him, and I am the first of those who surrender their will to God." [Sura 6:162]
At this point, it may be useful for me to explain the precise meaning of terms like Islam, Muslim,
and Allah:
Islam is derived from Arabic root letters, "seen," "laam" and "meem," equivalent to "S" "L" and
"M". Islam literally means "Peace" and it also means "submission" or "willing and joyous
surrender" of the human will, to Allah. "Allah" is the Arabic word for "God" in English. Christian
Arabs also use the word Allah for God. A "Muslim" is therefore one who submits the whimsical
and capricious ego to what pleases Allah.
Muslims generally prefer to use the word Allah rather than God. One reason, I guess, is that
words can often have very different associations. When we speak of God in English, some
people might imagine a wise old man with a long white beard, reaching out so that His finger
touches Adam"s finger. No doubt this mental image has been nurtured by Michelangelo"s famous
fresco paintings on the Sistine chapel ceiling in Rome.
4
Muslims have no such imagery to associate with Allah. He is infinitely beyond anything we can
imagine. And, although we cannot actually see Him with our eyes, we know that He sees us. He
says He is closer to us than our jugular veins. No vision can grasp Him, yet His grasp is over all
vision. We know Allah by the Asmaa" Ul Husna, the 99 Beautiful Names in the Holy Quran.
But, I digress. God, Allah created you and me, and every other creature, to
worship Him. What exactly do we mean by "worship?" Here again, words
and meanings are important. To some people, worship is a private affair,
reserved for synagogues on Saturday or Churches and temples on Sunday.
That"s it.
Worship in Islam is a wider concept that has formal and informal
dimensions. Formal worship is regular prayer, 5 times a day, fasting,
charity and pilgrimage to Mecca. Informal worship is any good deed, however small, that is done
purely out of love and gratitude to Allah. There must be no ulterior motive, no eagerness to make
an impression, no vanity, no desire to massage the ego. Sincerity is the key. In one narration of
Prophet Muhammad sws, God, Allah, describes three people whose good deeds will take them to
hellfire: A martyr who sought martyrdom to impress people, a scholar who sought knowledge to
be admired by people and a philanthropist who gave generously so that people could say, "there
goes a generous man." All three incurred Divine displeasure because they lacked sincerity. They
were massaging their egos. They did good deeds for the wrong reasons. If we want to earn
Allah"s good pleasure, our actions must be absolutely selfless and sincere.
This relationship between us, our creator and the natural world,
our biosphere, is a crucial one. Sheikh Abdul Hakim Murad, a
Cambridge scholar, uses a good analogy. He describes Allah as
the generous Landlord who gives us the keys to His property.
He wants us to enjoy the property on one condition: that we
acknowledge who owns it, and that we treat all the other
tenants with courtesy and respect. And for rent, He only wants
us to say, thank you. That"s all. It really is as simple as that.
Yet, for some people, saying thank you to God seems to be the
most difficult thing to do.
Islam teaches that we human beings are not evil or sinful by
nature, but we are forgetful. And it is to this basically good but
forgetful and infinitely distractible creature that the Holy
Quran, Allah"s revealed Word, is addressed.
Indeed, the Arabic word for humankind is insaan, which also implies forgetfulness. The human
personality comprises a physical body, a mind and a spirit, a ruuh, in Arabic. This is the breath
of Allah that was inspired into us a few weeks before we were born. The body is made of
physical matter, or "sounding clay, like pottery; mud, moulded into shape" as the Quran describes
it. The soul, the ruuh, is from another dimension. It is timeless and space-less. It was created
before time and space began, and it will exist after we die.
9spaceking

Con

What is the Purpose of Life?
A 9spaceking perspective
By 9spaceking
Experience KingWeek
4/22/2014
Debate Dot Org
Topic: weird speech

Dear debaters of DDO, I greet you with the greeting words of paradise, everything is awesome!
! May the Peace and Mercy and Blessings of the Flying Spaghetti Monster be with you!
Now, what the hay is my opponent doing? I'm not 100 percent sure. After he asks a gazillion random questions, he randomly talks about Allah for ten hours then talks about time and space to confuse us. Everyone, this is just a noob trolling. He posts a complex question concerning life, and while we know the answer is 42, my opponent has posted irrelevant and confusing information. But do not worry, everyone! I will tell you all what he means.
My opponent hopes that the 25 instigator point advantage and the 25 point contender disadvantage will discourage any amazing debaters from debating this topic, and upon the added dazzling and craziness of his speech, no one dared.....until one challenger stepped up known as 9spaceking! Do not worry, my elo is low enough so that I won't loose too much.
The formula is D=100*(W+9L)/10W.
If I win, D=100*(2,065+18000)/20650
D=97.167070217917675544794188861985
97-25=72. As you can see, the instigator's plan has failed! And because his speech was irrelevant to his topic, he has lost!
Vote Con.
therightpath

Pro

therightpath forfeited this round.
9spaceking

Con

See? He concedes. Vote con!
therightpath

Pro

therightpath forfeited this round.
9spaceking

Con

Derp win.
therightpath

Pro

therightpath forfeited this round.
9spaceking

Con

I will forfeit the next round due to study reasons. Nevertheless vote MEEEE!
therightpath

Pro

therightpath forfeited this round.
9spaceking

Con

Nevermind, got the computer for a while.
VOTE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Posted by creedhunt 2 years ago
creedhunt
Okay I'm not sure if I can't read or if you can't but I will repeat I am NOT ridiculing you or your beliefs. I am saying that your point should NOT be ridiculed. How did that not come across?
Posted by therightpath 2 years ago
therightpath
my friend whatever i said or my message was conveying God's message, so ridiculing what i wrote is as good as ridiculing God. get that straight
Posted by creedhunt 2 years ago
creedhunt
Okay look at that comment I made again and notice that I was saying that you shouldn't be ridiculed. Get yourself together, man.
Posted by therightpath 2 years ago
therightpath
creedhunt i will give testimony on the day of judgement against you and the likes of you who oppose to accept the truth! God willing, keep on ridiculing the God who created u and the rest of universe. but let me tell you this for free if u don't believe in God and the true religion then what sort of life are u leading???? must be damn boring!
Posted by creedhunt 2 years ago
creedhunt
Well, besides your arrogance in that comment, I completely agree that the points the right path had presented deserve more than to be ridiculed
Posted by therightpath 2 years ago
therightpath
guys i thought u were smarter than this! i urge you to go do your research about God and the true religion, it is very important to know the truth and follow the true religion, ISLAM. guys don't ignore this, do a research on it
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
shhhhh! Don't reveal the secret!
Posted by creedhunt 2 years ago
creedhunt
Nope, I'm actually fairly sure that con is the troll.
Posted by FEARTHEGHUS 2 years ago
FEARTHEGHUS
ummm... why are you talking about islam, it has a prupose, to change all people to beleieving in allah, or to kill them, how can god amke god, or allah make allah, or god be made by allah!?!?!?! allah was made up by a warlord/merchant who wanted to give people a reason to not ahte him as much because of how eveil hi was, so he made it a religion
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
therightpath9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Continuous forfeits by Pro, matched with plagerised arguments. Clear win for Con.
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
therightpath9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Plagiarism, irrelevant argument, forfeits.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
therightpath9spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.