sulayman
Apollo353

the speed limit on Motorways in England be raised from 70MpH

Started: 10/20/2014 Category: Cars

sulayman

Pro

The speed limit in England should be raised from 70 as many of the drivers on the outside lane already travel 80 mph and above.
Apollo353

Con

I stand against this motion as drivers do not in fact travel safely at those speeds. Going up by 10 MpH could be a matter of life or death. Take for example, you are much more likely to survive at let say 20MpH rather than 30MpH and that is why many signs that limit speed are at 20MpH around schools.
sulayman

Pro

sulayman forfeited this round.
Apollo353

Con

A forfeit? That is because there is a lot of logic in what I say. You are just increasing the likelihood of death and is high as it is. Raising the speed limit will just cause more problems. How is it possible to cheaply change every single 70Mph sign in the UK? There is no way and this is why the speed limit should remain at 70Mph.
sulayman

Pro

sulayman forfeited this round.
Apollo353

Con

Just to finish it off, my opposition claimed 'The speed limit in England should be raised from 70 as many of the drivers on the outside lane already travel 80 mph and above.' This is the same as saying, murder happens, better legalize it then. It is the height of bad claims.
Posted by robert_hickman 2 years ago
robert_hickman
To quote the last point made:

You are not comparing apples with apples, murder is far less common and has far more serious implications than traveling 10mph faster on the motorway. From what I've seen 80 is a defacto standard speed limit and is very common. I cannot say if it has any impact on the average fatality rate on the roads, but considering how many do it, it may be more dangerous to travel slower as you could be moving slower than others on the road.

The main argument I've seen against raising the speed limit is driving this quickly increases fuel usage.