nitrodude2000
airmax1227

the spiderman movies could happen

airmax1227
Started: 7/25/2012 Category: Technology

nitrodude2000

Pro

i believe that the movie known as spider man could very well happen.
airmax1227

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for this debate, though I'm not quite sure why he challenged me to it. Nonetheless, Since I only have 10 minutes and 1000 characters for each round, it should be a quick and pithy debate. Good luck to my opponent.

Now on to my first argument:

I disagree.
nitrodude2000

Pro

i believe that there is no magic or goblins or fairies or any stuff like that in these movies. evreting in them can be achieved though science. maybe not with todays technology but perhaps our great great grand children can be truthful when saying" im going to be spiderman when i grow up. i was also looking for a fast debate to pass the time and i decided to invit a friend to it and you were the only one online so, i challenged you. good luck.
airmax1227

Con

There is no reason to believe that human-animal hybrids are possible, and even if they were, that super human powers would be attained by this combination. If some kind of nuclear spider were to bite a human, most scientists would say that the person who was bitten would probably die.

While some of the villains in the movies have some sort of scientific basis for them, it is science "fiction" for a reason. Most of these comic book type stories fall out of the realm of plausibility and could not actually happen.
nitrodude2000

Pro

you used the phrase plausible, which by any means does not mean possible. sciece fiction is based on science fact. even your average off the street nerd can tell you that.
airmax1227

Con

My opponent has the BOP in this debate. While I content that science fiction is often 'plausible', in this case there is no reason to believe that the major facets of the Spider man universe are at all possible. Some guy getting bitten buy a spider and then becoming some super human with super powers and such is not possible at all.

My opponent has made no arguments supporting the idea that such a thing is even plausible.

I'd like to think my opponent for this debate, and anyone who read it.
Posted by airmax1227 4 years ago
airmax1227
In my last round: "Content" should be 'contend' and "Buy" should be 'by'.

10 minute debate rounds really limits proof reading.. oh well..
Posted by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
Actually, I watched a show on the science of Spider-Man (it's a series that looks at different science fiction and fantasy franchises and shows how plausible they are). Of course, being bitten by a radioactive spider would never turn anyone into Spider-Man, but one of the scientists on the show said that it's plausible to give someone spider-like abilities through the use of a retrovirus.
Posted by nitrodude2000 4 years ago
nitrodude2000
it did
Posted by airmax1227 4 years ago
airmax1227
@ Korashk

I had thought of that semantic, but took the resolution in good faith to assume Pro meant, "In real life"
Posted by Korashk 4 years ago
Korashk
They already happened. There are like four of them.
Vote Placed by jwesbruce 4 years ago
jwesbruce
nitrodude2000airmax1227Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Jus' so people are shocked when they click on this page and see that nitrodude2000 actually proved the spiderman movies could happen, I'm giving him three. Maybe for 2 seconds someone will believe it. The three to airmax for the obvious win, it's not likely at all, I agree.
Vote Placed by KeytarHero 4 years ago
KeytarHero
nitrodude2000airmax1227Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Spelling and grammar to Con. Also, arguments to Con since Pro really didn't have an argument and certainly didn't meet his BOP.