debatemoez
32doni32nido32

the uncontrolled drug addict

debatemoez

Con

I'm very much totally outraged by the lack of control an addict has of their own activity
At first, when the new user gets a taste of this drug of choice, they don't think that this will consume their very lives for any time beyond the use. They don't stop to even consider that. They are searching for a high. period.
There are drugs designed now to wrap your mind around them and keep them on there. The drug is produced with that in mind. One of the most heinous acts of humankind toward its own.
So the user is hooked. The user can't get enough and stops at nothing to get more. Each time they head toward the pickup, they are hating themselves for being slaves to the harness, but are salivating at the prospect of the taste of the bit.
The mind spins in circles of how this time would be the last time and how good they will be again and right back around once they come down again, to when they could get another hit and how to go about that.
It's like watching a predator search for it's prey.
The people they rip off and cheat and lie to are inconsequential in the fore mind where the craving lives. The yearning is allowed to take over all reasoning in the mind. The high quiets the shattering of the heart.
Once the user is aware of this cycle and utters their first words of acknowledgement of the power the drug has over them, but still goes and picks up? I lose my sh&^!
Once the user learns the skills on how to shut the yearning up and still goes and picks up? I lose all respect for them
After that, I pity them and how close they have just move their date of death to them.
I pity the family that watch them die, use by use.
I pity the world around them witnessing their state of high and drug paraphanlia out in the world
IF YOU KNOW HOW TO STOP. THEN STOP. ONLY YOU CAN STOP THAT. NONE OF US WANT TO BE PART OF THAT PITIFUL WORLD.
32doni32nido32

Pro

You don't seem to understand this concept fully. The drug addicts aren't doing it for you, they're doing it for themselves; they don't care that you're pissed off.
Now that we've got that covered, let's get down to the science of drugs.
As you said, drugs are made to be addictive so that the makers can get money. But you're angry at the person for their lack of willpower even though it's not completely their fault. That's all that they can focus on because of the way they get the "high" from the drug. It feels so amazing that they want it over and over again, the thought consuming their mind and controlling their every action. The drug calls out to the user, a silent force capable of devastating effects to the user and their relationships. As the dopamine decreases each use, the need to get the same reaction as the first time makes the person lose any control they had once had over themselves. Who cares what happens to their loved ones, future, and/or possessions? All they want is to be on Cloud Nine once again and soar through the bliss that is never truly there.
People lose themselves over these drugs. Rather than insulting him and simply stating that they should get help, encourage them to end their addiction and seek aid to do so in a kind and understanding nature. The first step is to confess of having a problem, and the rest after that relies on how the person plans to fix it (if they plan to do so at all). Some people's willpower isn't that strong, but some others can grow a resistance to temptation as strong as titanium. They don't do this because they care about you, your respect, or your opinions; they do this because they are broken and chose the wrong way to try and cure their depression.

You are not the center of the universe; not everyone cares about what you think.
debatemoez

Con

So wow, I completely understand and have acknowledged the physical 'hook' a drug has in the drug user. I know very well that the only thing they care about it the next hit. You have read my words as though I am offended. I am observing the fact that, once the addict has the tools to stop using permanently - and they don't use those tools, and keep using those tools to stay clean - then I personally draw a line. This is definitely not about me, or the drug addict. This is an opinion page and I certainly have the right to share this opinion. As much as you have the right to critique that opinion.
Maybe a productive suggestion would be to improve the teachings on how to help the addict learn and stay learned and active in their recovery rather than cutting treatment short to help them stay weak in their addiction
32doni32nido32

Pro

Of course, you had a right to share your opinion, you just seemed to come across as if the drug addicts already did and/or should care about what you think.
Getting the tools they need in order for them to recover is the most important step of the process. After that, they should be encouraged by outside sources to keep up with what they had learned
debatemoez

Con

I completely agree with the need for support. Not able to stop supporting when its a loved one it seems. Just have 0 tolerance for the repeat use while ignoring the tools given and taking full advantage of the support system in order to get the hit. Awesome arguments on your side.
32doni32nido32

Pro

Thank you!
I agree that it can be frustrating to see someone turn back to bad and unhealthy habits even after seeking help. They don't apply what they learned and the downwards spiral only keeps going lower and lower. Some may hit the bottom; it's been known to happen. It's an unfortunate fate that some suffer through but if they get the help they needed and don't use it that was completely their choice. The addict made an effort to get out, however didn't have enough willpower to see to it that drugs are not in their system again. That's what addictive substances can do to you. No matter how much one may try to get away from it, the thought creeps back into their mind from the dark recesses of the brain and begins to consume their thoughts again. The person can choose to use what they learned and fight it, or start feeding their addiction again and land back onto square one.
Thank you for debating this topic! It was really interesting.

Sorry if this argument sounds weird. I just came from a poem battle and now my brain is coming up with words to rhyme. Oh well.