wheatley
alexmiller887

the united states should be a democracy

wheatley

wheatley

Con

Rules:
No personal attacks for example "You're a f***tard

First round is acceptance!
alexmiller887

Pro

wheatley

Con

A Democracy is government ruled by the majority (mob rule) this is why the united states should not be a democracy, it should stay a republic.
A Republic recognizes the inalienable rights of individuals while Democracies are only concerned with group wants or needs for the good of the public, or in other words social justice. Lawmaking is a slow, deliberate process in our Constitutional Republic requiring approval from the three branches of government, the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches for checks and balance.

my first argument against democracy is the founding fathers did not want it.
but why did the founding fathers want a republic and not a democracy? well James Madison showed this pretty well in the Federalist Papers No. 10 "Hence it is that democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and in general have been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths... A republic, by which I mean a government in which a scheme of representation takes place, opens a different prospect and promises the cure for which we are seeking."

my second argument is it hurts minorities
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." Thomas Jefferson. in a democracy mob rules and doesn't care about individual rights but in the united states people care very much about rights "it's my right" but in a democracy the group rights are the thing that matters

And my final argument is that of a government that lasts
"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams democracies don't last, we need a government that lasts one that can last for centras one that can survive and not die out so that the united states can live on.

does our government need fixing yes, but should we become a democracy no, because our founding fathers didn't want it men who gave their lives so we could live like we do, it hurts minorities, and finally it doesn"t last there is a reason we are not a democracy and this is just a few reasons why.
alexmiller887

Pro

Sorry, I misunderstood. I surrender to you, because I'm no good at politics debates.
wheatley

Con

oh okay well luck in your other debates
alexmiller887

Pro

As well, I'm a Brit and really don't know much about the federal government.
wheatley

Con

wheatley forfeited this round.
alexmiller887

Pro

I forfeit this round
wheatley

Con

I forfeit this round
alexmiller887

Pro

I forfeit the final round.
Posted by jwcmcorbin 3 years ago
jwcmcorbin
The U.S. is a republic, we elect people to represent us. The official term is a "Democratic Republic"
Posted by alexmiller887 3 years ago
alexmiller887
Posted by wheatley 3 years ago
wheatley
no we are republic
Posted by alexmiller887 3 years ago
alexmiller887
Or, does it mean that it should stay a democracy?
Posted by alexmiller887 3 years ago
alexmiller887
Isn't the US already a democracy?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
wheatleyalexmiller887Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes, somewhat gracefully, but definitely honorably.