liberalconservative
polka-dots323

the war in Iraq should end now

liberalconservative

Pro

this war has economically drained this country of its assets, and has caused numerous families to plunge into the darkness of confusion because there boys are six feet under and across the pond and it's all bush's fault.
polka-dots323

Con

"this war has economically drained this country of its assets,"

How???

I would like to state that war is not a good thing. It causes deaths and destruction, but that is war. There is no such thing as peaceful war. I am by no means promoting war at all, just stating what war is. Think of all the problems that would be caused by drawing out immediately. Everything we have worked for so far would be put to waste. Riots would start and their problems would start all over again. The money spent would be a total waste. So many more problems would erupt. Al Quad would take over the region again and Iraq would be even less safe then before we came in in the first place.

Maybe, instead of immediately drawing out, we should have a slow and gradual decrease in the number of troops there. Along the way, this would help Iraq be more stable and less dependant on the U.S.'s help. This would result in a much more peaceful end to the war.

As I have stated before, war is not a good thing, but the press loves to hit us with the sad and depressing stories such as suicide bombings hitting record highs, etc. There are also so many advances taking place all over Iraq. So many neighborhoods and streets are much safer now than before the war. Good things are happening a mist the negative reports brought forth by the press.

"it's all bush's fault"

What would you have done if Al Quad bombed the Twin Towers. Would you have just sat there and said, it's okay? President Bush knows much more information than we do about the war. He made the decision based off of this information. Although, he may have made some poor decisions according to some people, the war is not "all his fault."
liberalconservative

Pro

liberalconservative forfeited this round.
polka-dots323

Con

I understand from that the comment my opponent has left that he did not personally want to debate this issue and be against the war. Do you think it's possible for your friend to participate in the last round of it? I really wanted to debate this issue with somebody. :)
liberalconservative

Pro

polka-dots323

Con

I am guessing that my opponent has failed to get my actual opponent to debate...so... I will close with the fact that security, lives, and and becoming more stable are all advances in Iraq that are taking place. On ABC's Good Morning America this morning, a soldier came on and talked about how Iraq is improving. He mentioned how last time he left to come home for a break, he saw no soccer games going on. This last time he left, he saw around 100 small games being played of soccer. Although, soccer is not anything too significant, it shows how the people of Iraq are being able to restore their normal lives and are able to be more secure and safe in their country. We should be focusing on training the Iraqi people even more so that they can eventually protect and improve their country on their own without dependance on the US and other countries. Since my opponent has failed to reply, I leave this debate open to others who may want to deabte on this topic. Thanks! :)
Posted by SweetBags 6 years ago
SweetBags
slammin, we are (as rob said) debate "critics". we all read the debate, and (in our heads or on paper) critic the round to see who we think won and deserves our vote. i think that voters should be required to leave a reason for their vote, and i leave a reason (critic if i have time) on every debate i judge. i wish more people did the same...
Posted by Rob1Billion 6 years ago
Rob1Billion
We are all debate critics here.
Posted by slammin 6 years ago
slammin
Uhmm, sweetbags: I don't believe that you are a debate critic are you? Nobody really needs your thoughts on things, so please don't act as though you know everything. Thanks! Sorry if that was harsh sounding- I just hate it when people think that they are always correct.
Posted by SweetBags 6 years ago
SweetBags
pro, decent intro, really didn't do much with the first round though.
con, al quada did not exist in Iraq until after the war started.
pro, never forfeit a round, post at least a sentence or two
con, understandably use of the round
pro, don't leave in the middle of a debate, thats just rude.
con, not a bad conclusion, but i'm not impressed.
i didn't think this was a particularly good debate, but it was decent considering the pro dropped out after the first round.
Posted by sarsin 6 years ago
sarsin
"You know, I don't blame everything on Bush but I'm pretty certain the Iraq thing is his fault. Chuckles roared in there on the notion that there might be WMDs, and decided when we didn't find any that the war was about freedom instead. Now it's not all his fault though. Congress gets a good share of the blame for rubber-stamping this mess."

My original statement. Plenty of blame to go around for everyone.

"Government needs to be scaled back, taxes need to be cut, spending needs to be cut, and the economy will boom. Things will get done with a REAL fiscal conservative in the White House. President Bush, though he is an outstanding Commander in Chief, is not a fiscal conservative."

Now see, I agree with you there. I don't plan on voting for Hillary or Obama, since they pitch a bunch of "Yay government" without a valid way of paying for it. The reason the war upsets me is the stupid amount of my tax money that is going over there and our dummy government didn't take time to consider what problems wiping out the leadership of another country would cause. I just want the government to stop spending my money stupid and leave me alone, and neither party can seem to do that. I just got a little grouchy 'cause I just got a bonus that I busted butt for and the government took about 50% of it in taxes.
Posted by ReaganConservative 6 years ago
ReaganConservative
$504 trillion? Really? You sure? Try $500 BILLION. Just so you know, 60% of all Federal spending is on entitlement programs. 20% of Federal spending goes to the military. We need a REAL fiscal conservative in the White House to cut program spending. No Child Left Behind was a bad idea. It's funny to hear Democrats, not accusing you of being one because I don't know what you are, of complaining about President Bush's overspending, citing it as the primary reason for the large deficit. Hillary Clinton's health care plan costs $110 billion annualy. That's $1 trillion over a 10 year period for poor quality health care! Democrats also want to increase spending in other areas, too. Government needs to be scaled back, taxes need to be cut, spending needs to be cut, and the economy will boom. Things will get done with a REAL fiscal conservative in the White House. President Bush, though he is an outstanding Commander in Chief, is not a fiscal conservative.

By the way, you completely negated the fact that Saddam Hussein was funding terrorist groups and pursuing a WMD program, as I outlined in my previous comment. You also avoided my call that you agreed to put the blame on the shoulders of Democrats, but still had the audacity to say it's "Bush's fault." Explain yourself, champ.
Posted by sarsin 6 years ago
sarsin
"So, we should have let Saddam continue to rule? Is that what you're implying?"
Yes I am. The cost of removing him from power doesn't seem equal to any benefit of safety we have gained. We have spent $504 trillion dollars so far in Iraq. How many border patrol agents could we have hired? I bet that fence would be finished by now with that kind of money huh? Maybe we could have outfitted our planes with anti-missile technology like the air carriers in Israel do. I bet the TSA wouldn't be hiring flunkies that pick through my shampoo. We could have beefed up the CIA and the FBI so they could deal with terrorism more effectively. Maybe we could monitor a bigger chunk of the containers that come into all of our major ports everyday.
Saddam was a bastard to be sure, but there are lots of them leading countries around the world. Can we financially afford to go beating down all of their doors with military might?
ReaganConservative
"Still though, NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11."
--So, we should have let Saddam continue to rule? Is that what you're implying?

"No, they don't. Those spineless monkeys get just as much blame."
--Then why did you say "but I'm pretty certain the Iraq thing is his fault"?
Posted by sarsin 6 years ago
sarsin
Boy, that was a lot of talking about how Saddam was a bad guy. Still though, NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11. The guy who masterminded the thing is still running around making tapes for crying out loud.

"So Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Tom Daschle, and the majority of the Democratic Party who voted for the war all get a free pass"

No, they don't. Those spineless monkeys get just as much blame. Instead of doing their job of checking Presidential power, just just cowered to the fear of "scary brown people" and voted yes on everything that came across their desk.
ReaganConservative
"I like how 9/11 is in there too. Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11. Nada. Zero. Zilch. There were no Iraqis on any of those planes."
--This argument is so tired it's not even funny. You're forgetting Saddam Hussein was in the pursuit of a WMD program. You're forgetting Saddam Hussein provided headquarters, operating bases, training camps, and other support to terrorist groups. You're forgetting Saddam Hussein was harboring a terrorist cell led by Abu Musab Zarqawi, a suspected al Qaeda affiliate and chemical and biological weapons specialist. You're forgetting Saddam Hussein aided the Iranian dissident group Mujahedeen-e-Khalq and the Kurdistan Workers' Party, a separaist group fighting the Turkish government. You're forgetting Saddam Hussein supported the Islamist Hamas movement and channeled money to the families of Palestinian suicide bombers. You're forgetting Saddam Hussein used WMD on his own people and slaughtered over 450,000 innocent Kurds.

"You know, I don't blame everything on Bush but I'm pretty certain the Iraq thing is his fault."
--So Bill Clinton, Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Al Gore, Hillary Clinton, Tom Daschle, and the majority of the Democratic Party who voted for the war all get a free pass? Bush-Derangment Syndrome.
Vote Placed by dbershevits 6 years ago
dbershevits
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by livi 6 years ago
livi
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by eweb53 6 years ago
eweb53
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by SweetBags 6 years ago
SweetBags
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by Noah25 6 years ago
Noah25
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by Oolon_Colluphid 6 years ago
Oolon_Colluphid
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by Kmille11014 6 years ago
Kmille11014
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by Shorack 6 years ago
Shorack
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by Rob1Billion 6 years ago
Rob1Billion
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 6 years ago
liberalconservative
liberalconservativepolka-dots323Tied