kaustubhj
42lifeuniverseverything

the way to promote global understanding is to provide avenues for students to study abroad

kaustubhj

Con

The student's nation's history will be lost as they are busy studying everything else
42lifeuniverseverything

Pro

Ok bring it on. First of all I appreciate your picking con on this because that puts you at a slight disadvantage. Also the question itself is slightly in my favor because the word "understanding" is based upon the idea of someone's actual intellect. That intellect is only increased when studying happens, unless the person isn't really studying and is doing something like procrastinating, watching YT, browsing FB etc. So clearly in that regard the topic is in my favor because as long as the students are actually studying, global understanding is enhanced. So the first thing you need to respond to is my definition of understanding if you want to win.

Definitions

Understanding: The amount of processed information one holds on the way the world works and how to use that information.

Students: In this context, a foreign exchange student, or a student that chose to study abroad without government assistance. Either one applies.

Now that I've cleared that up I'll respond to your argument with several responses.
a) The student's national history is not nearly as important for the student to study as things that would be practically enhancing to that students career, understanding of metaphysical abstracts, and understanding of anything else necessary to live a balanced life. Not saying history is not important, its just not as important as other subjects that the student will study while abroad.

b) The history of the students nation is not "lost" when they don't study it. Maybe this is just me being nitpicky, but the student's native country still has a history.

c) There is such a thing as world history 101, or even majoring in histories of certain time periods and/or countries at certain colleges that accept international students.

d) If they are studying abroad one has to make the assumption that they are borderline extremely smart at the minimum because of strict GPA requirements. This means they can effectively manage time, and possibly study their country on the side some when they wish.

Now I will make some new arguments for how it does indeed enhance global understanding.
First, the economy today is global, and so is the network of ideas. This means that in order to achieve a better run machine in both these areas, the actors in those networks need to have a higher knowledge understanding of the climate they operate in. Hence the need to open avenues for foreign exchange students who can understand and operate within that climate because of their training.

Second, foreign exchange student programs have been known to benefit the nations that adopt them in an economic way because these students live and spend money within their countries of study. They also may for research purposes or entrepreneurship purposes decide to invest in the economy of the country they are in for study. That also benefits.

Third, with a multi-cultural world such as ours, in order to fully gain the knowledge benefits that humanity desires, these programs must be offered where possible. Foreign exchange students can bridge the gap between people who have only ever know their respective native countries, and these relationships that exchange students create can have a significant impact towards global economic progress, a steady path toward global peace, and enhancements in human rights treatment around the globe. All of these things are good yes? Then use these multi-cultural students to help bridge the misunderstanding racial and cultural gaps in order to achieve these benefits.

Finally, studying abroad can have a significant impact on global understanding because these students are a fresh perspective. Sometimes all educators need in fresh insight in order to make the big breaks necessary in research, discovery, and technology. The incorporation of fresh minds into the mix of educators, that come abroad, brings this benefit as well.

Ultimately, I think that the need for foreign exchange students is met because these benefits are necessary to realize. That is why foreign exchange programs for the most part continue, even amongst nations that disagree strongly culturally (i.e. US and Saudi Arabia).

Your response?
kaustubhj

Con

kaustubhj forfeited this round.
42lifeuniverseverything

Pro

Hey I know that you made a three round debate. Forfeiting the second round was not a good idea. For the moment, I win, but if you come back with responses, you can probably win. Forfeit round three if you wish and at your own risk.
kaustubhj

Con

kaustubhj forfeited this round.
42lifeuniverseverything

Pro

If it was not already evident, I win.