sushovan
Zarroette

the wii is a good console

Zarroette

sushovan

Con

the wii is old and vanishing from markets
Zarroette

Pro

Thank you, Sushovan, for instigating this debate.

Affirmative Case

Definitions

The definition of “good” is imperative to this debate, yet my opponent has failed to define it. In absence of my opponent defining it, I will provide what I believe to be a fair definition:
Good: “satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree” [1]

Satisfactory: "fulfilling expectations or needs; acceptable, though not outstanding or perfect" [8].

A1: The experience of a remote control

The Wii is one of the few consoles that has “motion-sensitive” controls. This offers an alternative style of gameplay and interaction not found with the usual keyboard or joystick of almost all other consoles. For this reason, it should be obvious that the quality of console experience, due to its uniqueness, is at least satisfactory in giving users a new experience (of which they may want) [2].

A2: The availability of parental controls

For children that may want to use the Wii, yet their parents are sceptical of the nature of the content which could potentially be seen, the games have OFLC ratings (much like movies) wherein the console can be ordered not to allow the running of highly rated games [2]. This is "good" in the sense that it satifies a parent's usual want to keep her child safe.

A3: There are USB ports

Situated on the console, there is not just one, but TWO USB ports that allow the transfer of information from other devices onto the Wii, provided that the information is compatible with the Wii [5]. This is a useful feature to have and could satisfy people's need to transfer data.

A4: There are a number of exclusive titles

There is a total of 363 exclusive titles to the Wii that can only be played if you have the Wii [6]. Of which, there is The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which was rated a perfect 10/10 by IGN [7]. The Wii is the only console which provides an opportunity to play these often great games, therefore the console is itself good in that it provides the opportunity for people to be satisfied with great games.

Counter-arguments

“the wii is old and vanishing from markets”

There are several problems with this counter-argument:

1. “Old” is merely a qualitative label without any impact, due to my opponent not qualifying any impact.

2. “Vanishing from markets” argues that because something is unpopular, therefore it must be bad. The implication here is that popularity is an indication of whether something is good (i.e. of “satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree”), which is an appeal to popularity, a logical fallacy [3].

3. The problem with both parts of the argument is that they are not backed by any reference, hence they are bare assertions, therefore this type of argument is a logical fallacy [4].

This should render my opponent’s argument clearly fallacious and internally defunct for everyone to see.

The reason you should vote for my side is that given many different reasons the Wii is a “good” (of satisfactory quality) console. These include the ability to use a motion-sensor control (which is interesting and a lot of fun to use), the parental control systems (to keep children safe), the ability to transfer information onto the console (handy for making things on the Wii or storing data) and there are exclusive, excellent titles to the Wii (of which provide great experiences only the Wii can provide). I believe that these things are counted as good because they fulfil many expectations (which is the qualifer of "satisfactory", as given by my definition. My opponent never contests any of these contention, hence they are all dropped.

Conversely, I have shown my opponent’s arguments to be inherently defunct with numerous problems, therefore I believe you should consider them nulled.

Thank you for reading =)

References

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://www.nintendo.com.au...
[3] http://www.nizkor.org...
[4] http://fallacies.findthedata.com...
[5] http://www.dummies.com...
[6] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[7] http://au.ign.com...
[8] https://www.google.com.au...
Posted by Hud4 2 years ago
Hud4
The wii is an old piece of sh*t
Posted by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
If I was able to vote, I would vote for Pro in the categories of Arguments and Sources. I think the other categories are ties. I will mow explain my reasons for my decisions.

Arguments:

Con only made two arguments

1. The Wii is old.
2. It's not popular anymore.

I didn't find either of these compelling. Pro did a good job refuting both. She showed how being old doesn't necessarily mean something is not good. She also showed how the popularity issue was a logical fallacy, and should be rejected. As for Pro's arguments, I found her argument concerning the existence of USB ports compelling. The ability to transfer information to the Wii to be a quality that one could use to define the console as "good". The transfer of information can only increase one's experience with a gaming console.

Only Pro had sources, so hers were more reliable by default.
Vote Placed by ResponsiblyIrresponsible 2 years ago
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
sushovanZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Just when I thought one-round debates were my trademark, I see this! I almost feel a moral obligation to vote on this. Anywho, only PRO offered any substantive arguments backed by sources -- so, obviously, this wasn't even close.
Vote Placed by AlwaysRight12345 2 years ago
AlwaysRight12345
sushovanZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Easy vote.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
sushovanZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was doomed from the start. Keeping your whole debate limited to one sentence [without capitals and punctuation] isn't going to work. Pro had great conduct, made reasonable arguments, and used a lot of sources. Great debate pro.
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 2 years ago
tajshar2k
sushovanZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided sources. And gave a strong argument.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
sushovanZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had refuted all of Con's arguments and more. Plus she had sources.
Vote Placed by WillYouMarryMe 2 years ago
WillYouMarryMe
sushovanZarroetteTied
Reasons for voting decision: No real arguments or refutations from Con.