the world will not end in the year 2012

Hello, I am making a debate on why the world will not end in 2010.
I thank my opponent whoever he/she is.
I would like to state the fact that the Mayans predicted the world would end in 2012 because the calendar ended. but let me also state the fact that the Mayan calendar ended like every hundred years so did it happen? No, so the world will not end in 2012.
Also people predicted the world would end in the year 2000 but we are still here so they were wrong. So that rules out people guessing when the world ends.

Thankyou for creating this debate, this shall be quite entertaining.
I have accepted this debate for the fact that you, as the instigator (pro) have the burden of proof. Meaning you must prove why the world will NOT end, and I must prove you wrong. For this reason, I will let the opposition go first.

These are some scenarios of 2012 and below how it will not happen.

1.A grand alignment of Jupiter and Saturn will gravitationally perturb Earth
For the past several decades there have been doomsday claims that the combined gravity from grand planetary alignments will cause geologic and meteorological upheavals on Earth.

None are scheduled for 2012.

In 1962 an extremely rare grand conjunction of the classical naked-eye planets drove astrologers crazy. The conjunction happened on Feb. 4-5 and was accompanied by a solar eclipse! The most infamous grand conjunction was in 1982 and popularized in a book called "The Jupiter Effect," which predicted earthquakes and massive tides. Life went on as usual both years. The moon has a vastly greater gravitational influence on Earth than Jupiter. It's called location, location, location! At a whopping distance of 400 million miles from Earth, Jupiter's tug is pretty wimpy.

2. The black hole in the galactic center will affect us.
The Milky Way's black hole has no influence on the galactic disk. The black hole is three million solar masses. The Milky Way is several trillion solar masses when we add the tug of dark matter. Any gravitational influence of the black hole over the galaxy would be like the tail wagging the dog. The Milky Way's collision with the Andromeda galaxy will dump gas into the black hole and it will blaze as a quasar. But that's several billion years away.

3. An asteroid will smash into Earth.
A threatening near-Earth asteroid that's gotten the most press is the 900-foot wide Apophis. But its chances of collision have been downgraded to 1 in 250,000 at its next close approach in 2029. In theory, an uncharted asteroid or comet could come out of the blue tomorrow. But if we don't know about it today, the Mayans certainly didn't know about it 1,200 years ago. Earth-killer impacts are tens of millions of years apart. So there's no reason to be a doomsday clock-watcher.

So you see, the world will not end in 2012 by some asteroid suddenly appearing or us being pulled in by a black hole.

I wait for my opponents argument.

Troll forfeited this round.

My opponent forfeited this round so I will add more points to the debate.
I will keep doing on what I did in round 2.
1. Changes in the Sun's magnetic field will lead to powerful flares.

So what else is new under the sun? The sun goes though a well-documented 11-year sunspot cycle that is driven by its magnetic field entangling, reforming and flipping polarity. Yes, the peak of the next cycle is in 2012 (or 2013), and some predictions suggest it might be 30 to 50 percent stronger than the last peak.

But experts say it will certainly not be the biggest peak ever recorded.

The bottom line is that no dragon's breath of flame will stretch across 100 million miles of space and blowtorch Earth. The largest solar flare recorded to date, on Nov. 4, 2003, spewed several billions of tons of plasma in Earth's direction. The flare's X-ray radiation that impacted our protective atmosphere had the equivalent radiation of 5,000 suns.

We're still here.

2. The rogue planet Nibiru will swing by Earth.

There isn't such a planet any more than the planet Naboo from the Star Wars trilogy is real. Purported Internet pictures of the interloper are photographic lens flares or hoaxes. Don't believe every dot you see photographed in the sky.

3.Supernovae or hypernovae will irradiate Earth.

There are no stars that are so close to Earth that radiation from their supernova demise would seriously affect us. The nearest candidate, the red giant Betelgeuse, is predicted to explode in the next 1,000 years. The monster star Eta Carinae is also on a short fuse. Neither doomed star has a spin axis precisely aimed at Earth, so we don't have to worry about being fried by a narrow beam of gamma rays ejected from the core's implosion. In fact the kinds of stars that shoot out these Death Star beams are uncommon in the Milky Way. Earth has a one percent chance of getting zapped over 10 billion years. Scratch gamma ray bursts off of your homeowner's insurance policy.

I wait for my opponent to write something that will help him in his side of the debate.

Troll forfeited this round.
Posted by Prodigy_X 6 years ago
This was bullsh1t. I shouldve won.
sorry for the language.
Posted by Prodigy_X 6 years ago
Oops. In the first round I accidentally wrote 2010 instead of 2012. So its 2012 anyone who wants to know.
Posted by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
Pro needs to get his facts straight. The Mayans never predicted the end of the world. They calculated the end of a 26,000 year cycle and that we will enter a new age.
Posted by Ogan 6 years ago
And I was really looking forward to it! One comment: the end of a cycle on a calender does not mean the end, but a new beginning. Just because a particular school term is over, does not mean the school and its pupils will be destroyed - no... it just means lots of things are going change, some for the better and some for the worse, but this will be temporary until things settle into their new pattern.
Posted by Troll 6 years ago
Despite my name, I am not a troll.