aitanagee
torialyn

there are no rights or wrongs in ethics.

aitanagee

Pro

In order to get an understanding of the topic at hand, we first should know what the definition of ethics is. Ethics are the moral principles of an individual and how they behave themselves accordingly. With that being said, living in one the most diverse countries in the world, we all have different thoughts, ideas, and opinions. So wouldn't our morals be different as well? There is no way to explain to someone that what they hold to be right, isn't. We all live different lives, and all go about them a different way. Then again, there are morals that have been instilled in us by our parents, families, even religious affirmations. However, it is still up to us to decide which ones we want to continue to fulfill in our lives. Life is one big marathon full of obstacles, and we're constantly being tested on our morals. Whether or not we can stick to them is the ultimate question. So are there right and wrongs in ethics? Of course not.
torialyn

Con

Yes, there are rights and wrongs in ethics. Looking at the definition and even though everyone does have a different outlook on life and everything that comes throughout, people still need to follow the main morals of what society puts on us. A person who does wrong does not mean they are all that bad. However, in life we have rules and standards to live by. The main thing that we as people need to follow is the law. One day you cannot just walk in a grocery store and steal what you need because that is what your morals are telling you to do. We follow the morals society and the law gives us because if we don"t then we have consequences to pay. You need to live up to the societies standards to live your life accordingly. You must behave otherwise you will be punished.
aitanagee

Pro

What if you're without a home, and living on the streets? Yes, stealing is a bad thing but what if your life is on the line? Do your morals when you had a home and food to eat still count? At what point do you stop and say what I think is wrong here doesn't count? It's looked down upon by society for females to want to dress like males, and males to want to dress like females, but if that's what they want or feel is right for them then they should do it. We live in the land of the "free" yet there is a lot that we aren't allowed to do. Yes, we do need laws to keep us in check but when it comes to other things like a same sex couple showing affection to one another that's looked down upon. It's looked down upon because it makes a lot of people "uncomfortable." But should that be the problem of the sam sex couple? No. If their morals are telling them it's the right thing to do despite what anyone else thinks their going to do it.
torialyn

Con

If you were without a home, living on the streets, and your life was on the line still does not give you a right to steal. You can"t always be selfish and you definitely need to think of others in a way that the people that you are stealing from work hard to make a living and to keep their business. Therefore, maybe the people who are homeless should try to raise their morals to what everyone else in society is doing. They should get a job and work to support themselves. Stealing in my opinion is the "easy" way out. I completely agree with the fact that people of the same sex should be allowed to marry show PDA etc also that men and women can cross-dress because that is who you are. Society may frown upon it but in order to be happy you definitely have to do what is right for yourself. But that isn"t talking about their behaviors in the way they act towards things. Now, if the law said that they were going to arrest anyone who is bisexual, transgendered, gay or lesbian etc. then that is where it is wrong. But that in case is the "freedom" we do have in this country. We do not get beaten, put in jail or a death sentence if we are anything but straight. However, the morals of yourself and family "should I do it or should I not" comes in major play when is comes to breaking the laws. How about the morals of killing someone because you don"t approve of them. That is when it is a true wrong moral and definitely shouldn"t be accepted.
aitanagee

Pro

Yes definitely killing someone is not something that anyone should think is right. What you believe is right or wrong can go as far as whether or not you think discipling your child is public is right or wrong. Some people think that disciplining your child i public is perfectly fine whether it be a slap on the hand, a tug on the ear, or even yelling at them in the middle of the aisle. Yet, at the same time there could be a middle aged woman walking past, seeing this and thinking to herself," Oh my gosh what a horrible parent to punish her child in public. This woman was most likely raised by parents who either waited until they got home to do something about her behavior, or simply do nothing at all. So she grew up thinking that either you do it in the privacy of your own home, or you don't do it at all. But why should she call the parent a horrible one just because of the way she feels on the situation? That mother or father disciplining their child in public was probably raised the exact same way and thought to themselves," When I have children I want to raise them the same way they raised me." Or maybe, they themselves weren't raised that way yet they still wanted to raise their children that way. As human beings we sometimes forget to realize that everyone has different opinion then our own. A lot of times, mostly in this day and age we grow to be selfish and close minded at the fact that we're all living our own separate lives and living them how we want to live them. I truly do believe that if you live you're life by the morals of someone else you aren't living at all. Yes the laws the government sets for us all to follow should be followed at all costs, however when it comes to doing things in you're life that make you happy, you should be doing them. You should never be afraid to live your life the way you want to live it no matter how difficult you're circumstances may be. And you should make every decision with the mind frame that it was the best and right decision for you.
torialyn

Con

Socially and morality are two separate topics that can combine into one. It may be socially wrong for someone to do something but morally it is right or visa versa. However, there always has to be a line drawn as a threshold. From my example from before how people need be aware that they need to follow the laws, because if a person thinks that it is okay to kill or steal then there needs to be something to prevent that and say that this is morally wrong. Some things might not be socially accepted such as if you were apart of LGBT or punishing your child in public. You should without a doubt live your life to your extent of being happy but if everyone got their way all the time, the earth as a whole would be a complete disaster. Morals are what people expect of one another and they can be positive or negative to other people. Also, each culture has different standards for morals and this is where we can decide what is right or wrong. There could be good or bad or right or wrong so therefore, ethics must have a right and wrong answer.
aitanagee

Pro

I see where you would think the world would go crazy if everywhere were to be free doing what they wanted or what they felt was right. But we're talking about still living in a world with laws and rules, but living in a world free of judgement on the decisions you make. It may sound cliche, but unless you've walked a mile in their shoes, you have no right to decide what is right or wrong for them. A single mother gets penalized all the time by people who believe a mother should never be single or have children out of wedlock. Yet, they have no clue that she might have been in an abusive relationship and left for the sake of the life of her children and herself. So I guess it goes back to unless you know what someone is going through in their life, your opinion is not needed nor is it right because you aren't in that situation. As previously stated in my first argument, what is right to me, might not be right for you. And what is wrong for me might not be wrong for you. It all comes down to what is best for us and only us.
torialyn

Con

We are living in a society that must have laws and rules that everyone must follow otherwise punished. I honestly think that what people do to make themselves happy does not fall under their morals. However, I do think that what people think is right or wrong does follow their morals. Their morals must reach a threshold at one point or another. Yes, you don"t know what that person has specifically gone through, on the other hand they do have to understand that you cannot just do whatever you please whenever. Peoples beliefs do not fall under their morals. Their behavior and their way of living does. There is a point where things are right and things are wrong so there clearly has to be wrongxs and rights in ethics.
Posted by BlueSapphire 3 years ago
BlueSapphire
well done both! I still cannot vote but if I can, it'll still be a tie, coz both of you are awesome and make arguments that has perfect sense. I can't wait for the results.