vi_spex
Splenic_Warrior

there is no such thing as hell

Splenic_Warrior

vi_spex

Pro

i can at best believe in hell.. stories are not real, as i cant see, hear, touch the stories beyond the words being spoken or where ever you get the story from. belief is false, be lie, as i dont know is true, and i have no beliefs

i see that i dont see a dog in my room right now, and i am certain that i am not, but i can believe there is a dog in my room that i cant see

i can believe that i will go to hell, no matter what i do, no matter what religion i believe in, and the evidence to back up this belief is equal to any religious story i can believe about hell

for me to claim, i will go to hell or heaven when i die, is not a true claim, but you claiming you are reading these words on a screen.. to you, is not an imaginary claim

Splenic_Warrior

Con

Pro has made the claim that "there is no such thing as hell." However, his analogy about there possibly being a dog in his room that he cannot see sounds pretty close to an admission that there might be a hell that he cannot presently experience. If this is not a first round concession, perhaps Pro can provide further evidence in support of his resolution.
vi_spex

Pro

possibilities are false, imaginary

possibility has at least 2 sides, so its false by default, reality is 1
Splenic_Warrior

Con

Irrelevant.

You have made a claim: "there is no such thing as hell." The default position is to disbelieve that claim until sufficient evidence has been provided in support of it. Until such evidence has been provided, you have not met your burden of proof. Please provide evidence in support of your claim.
vi_spex

Pro

so hell is true?
Splenic_Warrior

Con

I do not know whether or not a hell exists; I have made no claim and carry no burden. You have still not provided evidence in support of your claim.
vi_spex

Pro

no.. you are telling me hell is a thing.. show me where it is then, how do you know about it?

are stories things?

the evidence is hell is not real..
Splenic_Warrior

Con

Hell is a concept; an idea. Whether or not that idea corresponds to an actual thing in reality is an open question. You are claiming that the idea does not map to reality; it is therefore your place to demonstrate that claim.

Your persistent questioning for me to prove that a hell exists is a fallacy known as Shifting the Burden of Proof [1]. I have no burden, please stop trying to give me one and demonstrate your own.

[1] http://wiki.ironchariots.org...
vi_spex

Pro

stories are not things, concepts and ideas are not things

i cant hear see touch hell.. demonstrated, its not a thing

Splenic_Warrior

Con

I agree. The ideas and concepts of hell are not things; they are not hells. However, this does not demonstrate that there is not a thing out there which these ideas and concepts represent.

The fact that you cannot hear, see, or touch hell does not demonstrate that it isn't a part of reality. It could be beyond your ability to sense. Humans can only see a tiny fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum [1]. Similarly, we can only hear a portion of the total range of frequencies [2]. The senses of touch, taste, smell, and balance are necessarily related to how close you are to an object, so they are irrelevant in the detection of a hell unless you are near to it. The bottom line is that your failure to sense a hell does not mean that a hell does not exist.

As Pro, you claimed that, "there is no such thing as hell." You have not demonstrated that claim, and on more than one occasion, have tried to shift the burden to me. I had no burden to prove that a hell existed, only to show you that you could not claim that it doesn't.

[1] http://cmb.physics.wisc.edu...
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org...
Vote Placed by ThatChristianGuy 1 year ago
ThatChristianGuy
vi_spexSplenic_WarriorTied
Reasons for voting decision: I know I'm not supposed to vote all for one side, but this debate really does deserve it. Pro made no real arguments.