lawrencesabenning
Blade-of-Truth

thw eliminates number grading system

Blade-of-Truth

lawrencesabenning

Pro

Number grading system didnt showing a quality
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I want to thank my opponent for providing this thought-provoking topic. The resolution is clear: This House would eliminate number grading system. I accept this debate and will present arguments as the position of Con.

For clarification purposes, I will first present some definitions:

Number: a numeral or group of numerals. [1]

Grading System:
1. To arrange in a series or according to a scale.
2.
a. To determine the quality of (academic work, for example); evaluate: grading the book reports.
b. To give a grade to (a student, for example). [2]

Quality: how good or bad something is. [3]

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[3] http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Due to their being no specification as to if this round is for acceptance only or not, I will give my opponent the benefit of the doubt and refrain from presenting my arguments until the next round. However, my opponent did make an opening statement which I will address briefly before expanding on it as a full argument later on.

According to my opponent, the "Number grading system didn't showing a quality."

On the contrary, number grading systems are specifically practiced for the very purpose of reflecting the quality of the work done by students throughout their careers as students. A common argument heard is that the grades reflected are not accurate or are even unfair. When putting the subjective nature of grading aside, they are still reflecting the perceived quality of the work done by the student.

I look forward to the remaining rounds, and wish my opponent the best of luck.
lawrencesabenning

Pro

oh ladies and gantleman, the negative side of the house is miss understanding.The motion is about ELIMINATES NUMBER GRADING SYSTEM not for GRADING SYSTEM GOOD OR NO FOR EDUCATION.Out of topic
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I thank my opponent for his speedy reply and would like to take this opportunity to assure the audience that I do not, in fact, misunderstand the resolution at hand. I fully understand that the motion is about eliminating the number grading system. With this said, I was merely expanding on the point that your opening statement attempted to make by showing how incorrect the statement is.

I presented the purpose of the number grading system and how, by its very nature, it contradicts the point my opponent attempted to make about it. Certainly not out of topic. I would also like to remind my opponent that as instigator - it is his obligation and burden to show the audience why the number grading system should be eliminated. My response was a counter-argument to the claim that my opponent made in round 1, because I have a burden as well which is to show the audience why the number grading system should not be eliminated.

I. There is no rational reasoning as to why we should eliminate a system that works.

As I stated in my previous round, grading in education is the process of applying standardized measurements of varying levels of achievement in a course. Numerical grades can be assigned as a range (for example 1 to 6), as a percentage of a total number correct, or as a number out of a possible total (for example out of 20 or 100).

In some countries, all grades from all current classes are averaged to create a grade point average (GPA) for the marking period. The GPA is calculated by taking the number of grade points a student earned in a given period of time of middle school through high school. [1] The GPA (which is a numerical grading system) can be used by potential employers or educational institutions to assess and compare applicants. For clarification purposes: A Cumulative Grade Point Average is a calculation of the average of all of a student's grades for all of his or her complete education career. [2]

The historical practice and continued use of the system implies that it is favorable.

It is wise to understand that while not all systems currently in practice will be considered favorable, when a system remains in practice for nearly 300 years, there is something to be said. Specifically, that if a system was broken enough to be considered for elimination it would most likely be a system that is losing favor in practice which isn't evident in the historical practice and continued use of this numerical grading system at hand.

An article published in The Educational Forum, vol. 57, Spring 1993 by Mark W. Durm [3] expands greatly on the history of the grading system and how it first came to be. According to the article, the first grading system was found to be used at Yale University in 1785 by President Stiles which were nothing more than side notes found in his diary. Yale took the initiative in formulating a scale. In the Book of Averages - Yale University [4], Yale gives reference to marking on a scale of 4. The book notes how this might have been the very conception of the modern GPA system which is practiced in most schooling systems. It also notes how the numbers had no connection to letter grades such as A, B, C, etc., due to their being no letter grading system at the time.

The fact that this numerical system is still in practice, and has done nothing but grown in terms of acceptance - to the point where now most schooling systems measure the students using this system - it is evident that this system is not broken and certainly not something that should even be considered for elimination. Not only has my opponent proposed no alternative grading systems which he would have to deem superior, but there have been no rational reasons presented to the audience as to why we should eliminate such a popular and commonly used system when it has been nothing but vital to the system of rating students based on their scholastic performance and achievements.

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://gpacalculator.net...
[3] http://www.indiana.edu...
[4] http://oir.yale.edu...

II. The numerical grading systems is actually favored among other grading systems.

Since the inception of the numerical grading system, many schools and educational institutions are not only already practicing such a system, but are even opting out of letter grades altogether in order to implement a new standard of numerical grading systems. I will share a few of these instances with the audience so that they might understand the growing popularity in numerical grading systems and see how insufficient the letter grading system is in terms of educator and other administrative opinions.

1) In an article dated October 10, 2011 it was reported that several school districts around the Sumner, Washington area would be experiencing a change in their grading system which involved a departure from letter grades for a more technical numerical grading system.

According to the article:

"Instead of getting one cumulative letter grade per class, students will get several different number grades for each class. Each number reflects the student's ability to meet each of the set objectives of the class. Teachers say the number grades offer a more defined, detailed approach to teaching that focuses on individual skills." [5]

2) In an article dated September 3, 2008 it was reported that elementary schools in the Clarke and Jackson counties of Georgia would be removing the letter grade system to replace it with a numerical grading system that, according to them, will show how close students are to achieving state-required skills.

According to the article:

"The goal is to get more toward an assessment for learning and encourage (students) to continue to learn, instead of just giving them a grade," said April Howard, a curriculum director for the Jackson County School District. "It gives them a significant amount of more information... A simple grade of A, B, or C doesn't lend itself to communicating whether a student has mastered a particular performance standard," said Mike Wooten, spokesman for the Clarke County School District." [6]

3) In an article dated August 27, 2012 it was reported that elementary schools in Janesville county, Wisconsin would also be updating their current grading system from a letter-based one to a numerical one. I will say that this article in particular does a great job at expanding on the actual structure of the new numerical grading system, and also reflects and important point; that after fours years since the article dated 2008 to the date of this article in 2012 the system has yet to fall - but rather, has gained enough support to evidently be spread to other schools districts in completely different states. [7]

[5] http://www.komonews.com...
[6] http://onlineathens.com...
[7] http://www.gazettextra.com...

There are countless articles all showing how this new numerical grading system is improving the quality of grading and evidence the current support that this new system has which is shown by the growing acceptance and application of such a system in our modern school systems. Aside from the age-old tradition of GPA, this new emerging numerical grading system speaks for itself in terms of practicality and popular acceptance. There are no rational reasons as to why such a growing and established system should be eliminated.

In Conclusion,

I have shown why my opponent is incorrect in his claim that numerical grades fail to show quality. I have shown the value of such a continuously practiced tradition and how the numerical grade system is constantly improving in itself and is currently gaining popularity among modern educational institutions. My opponent has failed to uphold his BOP and I extend all arguments that remain unchallenged.
lawrencesabenning

Pro

so what ? the evidence? your argue is weak and there is no fact. We CANT trust you
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent has failed to present any arguments or rebuttals, which leaves me with nothing further to expand on.

It is my hope that the audience will see that my opponent failed to carry out his Burden of Proof as instigator by failing to present any rebuttals or arguments that show why the numerical voting system should be eliminated. I have successfully presented arguments which remain unchallenged, and have also provided rebuttals to any and all claims made by my opponent. Cheap personal attacks and unsubstantiated claims do not, nor ever, belong in a debate.

My position that the numbers grading system should not be eliminated is, as I have shown, the proper position in the context of this debate - and remains standing unchallenged by my opponent.

In regards to the statements made by my opponent in R3, I wish to let the audience determine who had the weaker argument as well as the responsibility to determine who made claims without presenting evidence to validate those claims. I have included several sources to validate the claims I make, and trust plays no role in this debate. You can choose not to trust me, but this doesn't change the fact that my claims are backed up with sources for verification purposes. I have no need nor desire to lie about the facts and information I present to the audience and am confident that the audience will be able to determine who's arguments are weaker and lack sources.

I wish to thank the audience for their time and look forward to any and all challenges from my opponent in the future. Thank you.

Posted by advanced001 3 years ago
advanced001
Can you be more specific on what your trying to debate?
Posted by aburk903 3 years ago
aburk903
Do you mean the letter grading system? I'm not sure I follow your resolution...
Posted by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
Please specify "number grading system" and I'll accept.
Posted by edibleshrapnel 3 years ago
edibleshrapnel
Are you high?
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
lawrencesabenningBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did nothing to prove his point while con tried his hardest
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
lawrencesabenningBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con won this debate from the start. Conduct goes to con because he took the time and effort to actually present an argument, whereas pro did not. Spelling and grammar obviously goes to con, as pro used irregular use of capital letters and had very poor spelling. Con, on the other hand, used the grammar you would use in writing an important essay. Since con was the only one to present arguments, he wins the arguments section. Furthermore, pro failed to effectively refute con's arguments, which just worsened his cause in this debate. Con also used sources and based his facts on expert logics, while pro based his "facts" off of his own mind and used no sources whatsoever. A rare 7-point victory for con.
Vote Placed by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
lawrencesabenningBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro basically forfeited, had an irregular use of capital letters, didn't make any real arguments, and didn't use sources.... lol.