ties are becoming a less important item of clothing

Started: 12/28/2014 Category: Fashion

These days men wear ties less and less often. Years ago men regularly wore a tie. Back in the 1950s my grandparents would always wear their best clothes on a Sunday for no other reason than the fact it was Sunday which nowadays sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Often these days at events such as family parties or in church the older men will be wearing a shirt and tie while the younger men are more likely to be wearing a shirt without a tie. Men working in offices without a tie is also a more common sight now than it used to be and we see men with no tie more often on television. School uniforms are also less likely to include a tie these days.

I believe that as our society becomes more casual and laidback we will see more professional men like doctors, teachers and even politicians wearing shirts with an open top button and no tie. Traditional church weddings are less common than in years gone by a I believe that in the not to distant future more and more men will chose to get married without a tie( I actually think less people will bother getting married at all in the future but thats another topic).

I don't think the tie will disappear entirely within my lifetime(I'm 26) and I don't really want it to either. There will always be some men who like to wear a tie or feel its right to do so in some situations. I would still strongly advise any man attending a job interview to wear a tie as it will hugely increase their chances of getting the job. But overall the tie has become a less common and important item of clothing than it was in the past and this trend is likely to continue

I'd first like to thank my opponent for providing a lighthearted yet interesting topic that is worth giving thought to.

I'll be offering one major point of contention, which is as follows:

1. Ties becoming less popular increases their importance.

To begin my case I'd like to accept everything my opponent states about the use of ties diminishing, and would like to add an additional source to prove that the use of ties is decreasing [1]. That being said, this does not mean that ties are becoming less important. To the contrary, the rarer ties become, the more important they become. If men were to only wear ties in certain instances, that would make these instances stand out, highlighting their importance. For example, most extremely formal events are known as black-tie events. This adds an elite aura to the event, making it seem more important. The rarer and more elite the tie becomes, the more importance it will gain.

sammybow forfeited this round.

My argument about ties becoming less popular leading to increased importance still stands, and I apologize in the last round for forgetting to add a source!

Here it is:

Sorry, thank you, and please vote Con!
Posted by sammybow 1 year ago
it wont let me change the rules or start another debate for some reason. sorry
Posted by warren42 1 year ago
I'd debate you on this if the rules were adjusted in order to make a three or more round debate.
Posted by sammybow 1 year ago
I don't think so. its true. its not as strange as adults debating who'd win a fight between batman and Spiderman as I've seen on this website
Posted by bossyburrito 1 year ago
This is a very strange thing to debate...
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited the final round, which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both had adequate spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Con. Pro built a case based on the fact that because the use of ties are diminishing, they are becoming less important. Con rebutted that by showing that the decrease in use does not lead to a decrease in importance, and that it leads to the opposite effect. Con utilized an example of 'black tie' events to further strengthen his case. Unfortunately, Pro forfeited the final round, which left Con's arguments standing unchallenged. For this reason, Con wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Both utilized sources in this debate in a manner which showcased news articles representing their respective sides. Since they balance out, this is a tie.