crazypenguin
Juggernaut

to much homework is bad for students

crazypenguin

crazypenguin

Pro

Hi,

To much homework is bad for students because it stresses them out and they do not perform as well.

I am open to all arguments.
Thanks,
Juggernaut

Con

I'm sure we share difference of opinions on the words "too much". But I'm sure neither of us wants the education system to give out enough homework to make the students lose sleep or for homework to be greatly reduced (or eliminated).

I wouldn't mind the education systems greatly increasing the workload, as long as students are learning. Pardons should be made for certain students, upon decision of the state and parents, if reducing the workload would be a benefit to their education, though.

1 – The children of today will be future workers and the future voice of this country. The more educated they are, the more successful the next generation as a whole will be. I wouldn't like to know that our country's politics would be going to people who won't be much more educated than this generation is.

2 – A great increase of homework will pressure the students and force them to properly manage their time. Both are needed for success in college and in career. It will allow colleges to easily separate the college-bound from the people who really aren't ready for it. If people are accustomed more work at a younger age, the world will be more industrious and successful in the future.

3 – If the homework increase that I am suggesting would ever be "too much", the schools could allow more in-school time to complete it, make the homework weight slightly less on the grading paper, or be a bit more generous to the students who put great effort into their work, but still fail. But all of this should be a last resort. If students cut their television, video game, and mischief time in half, they would be able to finish the increased homework, no?

I have more to say, but I will wait for my opponent first.

- Juggernaut
crazypenguin

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate,

First to establish what too much means by the merriam webster dictionary: 1 a: great in quantity, amount, extent, or degree.

Now for refutations:

<<1 – The children of today will be future workers and the future voice of this country. The more educated they are, the more successful the next generation as a whole will be. I wouldn't like to know that our country's politics would be going to people who won't be much more educated than this generation is.>>
First of all I never stated that children shouldn't be educated or that they should completely cut off all homework, but merely the hardships and negative effects of TOO MUCH homework, therefore they are still getting all the education they need and will still be extremly successful.

<<2 – A great increase of homework will pressure the students and force them to properly manage their time. Both are needed for success in college and in career. It will allow colleges to easily separate the college-bound from the people who really aren't ready for it. If people are accustomed more work at a younger age, the world will be more industrious and successful in the future.>>
An increase of homework would pressure the students but to to much of an extent. Students will be staying up until 3 a.m just trying to finish their homework and studies show students don't perform when not rested or well slept. Also what is t he sense of separating the people with a couple of time management issues and those with not and make that decide if they get into college. If people get into college it should be those you are fit for it either academically or physically. If a person is very smart but has 4 sports, of course they will not have time to finish their homework, does that mean they shouldn't go to college?

<< 3 – If the homework increase that I am suggesting would ever be "too much", the schools could allow more in-school time to complete it, make the homework weight slightly less on the grading paper, or be a bit more generous to the students who put great effort into their work, but still fail. But all of this should be a last resort. If students cut their television, video game, and mischief time in half, they would be able to finish the increased homework, no?>>
Should life not include television, video game, and mischief all to a certain extent. Life is not just about eat, sleep, do well in school, you have to have some free time to play. I am not suggesting that the schools should not allow time to complete their homework in school or make homework weigh less etc. but that is not the topic the topic is that too much homework is BAD for students.

Now to my points:

Too much homework is bad because it makes them go to sleep late, and they won't perform as well in school.
It also stresses kids out which hurts the brain.
As well as hinder kids from having a little of free time.

Thanks,
Juggernaut

Con

The dictionary definition separates both of our positions. I believe the workload should be greatly increased and you believe it shouldn't. Though, I am not accusing you of saying schools should cut homework. In fact, I stated that I was sure we both agree on that not being the answer.

We both see the words "too much" differently.

I believe homework should be increased as long as it doesn't interfere with the student's health (rest/hygiene/fitness), time with family, a few of their hobbies/activities.

You, making it clear yourself, believe a workload increase is too much when it interferes with the student's time to cause mischief. Also, you believe a student should be pardoned from his/her work, simply because they made the decision to commit themselves to four EC activities.

That is the overall difference of our positions.

Just remember how much free time students really have, even with a homework increase. 180 out of 365 days, in the United States, are school days. That leaves 185 free days for the students, which isn't bad at all (including national holidays).

I do not understand how being physically fit has to do with being accepted into a college. Even though colleges have EC activities and clubs for fitness, the main reason to go to college is for the education. Whether you are moderately fit or a star athlete, colleges accept students for other reasons.

But yes, students should be accepted for academic reasons. Colleges do not want students who can only prove that they can pass the minimum requirements of high school. Colleges want students that can succeed high school AND college.

Stress, pressure, and anxiety are natural in adulthood. If students can learn ways to deal with those problems and how to manage their time at an earlier age, they will have an easier time dealing with the problems when they are faced in their adulthood.

- Juggernaut
crazypenguin

Pro

First to refute my opponents points:

<>
I never stated that they should be pardoned from their work but merely as the topic states it is bad for them. By doing EC activities you get to experience life, stay fit, even pick up a few worthy skills you can use later on maybe for college? Do you think higher education isn't going to look outside of how the kid does academically? Of course they want to know if the student is good all around.

<>
We are not talking about when kids are not IN school so this point is irrelevant, as the topic states to much homework is bad for students, and I do not believe we get homework over break or holidays.

<>
Again, I never said they shouldn't but said that that is not the sole reason. Of course if you are the best swimmer in the world a college will want despite your academic life, that is called RECRUITING.

<>
To what extent are you willing to push the student, until they break? Some of those are natural in adulthood but you have to realize there is a proven study that A LOT of those are harmful to the body and brain. As Toynbee once said "How far can you push a civilization until it has reached an extent where it doesn't perform?"

To summarize:

Too much Homework causes A LOT of stress which is proven to be harmful to the brain.
Too much homework causes kids to be stuck at home and have no outside life.
Too much homework causes kids to reach a limit until they cannot take it any more and crack under pressure.
Too much homework prevents kids from leading a healthy life outdoors and active because they are to busy with Homework.
OVERALL too much homework is bad for students because of the restriction and limits it puts on the children.

Thank you Juggernaut, I have enjoyed this debate.
Juggernaut

Con

Juggernaut forfeited this round.
Posted by knick-knack 8 years ago
knick-knack
"it does not measure how smart you are, just how long you can go before saying "screw it, I'm not doing this work anymore." and flunking out."

Exactly! This is one of the most profound things I have ever heard. :P
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
MAybe she didin't get enough english homework?
Posted by Kleptin 8 years ago
Kleptin
This is an idiotic debate, it's clearly rigged.
Posted by masterzanzibar 8 years ago
masterzanzibar
"to much homework is bad for students" was misinterpreted by the pro and con in this round, which is peculiar for the pro presented the resolution. "to much homework" is the noun in this sentence, whereas "is bad for students" is modifying what the noun is. so really what they should be adressing is the anonymous figure "to much homework". surely if the con meant an excessive amount of homework she would have proposed "TOO much homework is bad for students."
so i say tie, and vote kobe bryant for president in 2012.
Posted by beauty 8 years ago
beauty
Too much homework is brutal for students! This I know from personally! Going to a sequestered high school with 4 subject, that can lead to up to four different tasks a night. Those students who have a part time job as well, you kidding me? Balancing four subject, and a part time job is truly detrimental to a students academic success. Apparently now they are not allowed to deduct late marks for assignments not handed in on time. Students are now given a window of opportunity.
Posted by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
I tend to agree with pro. If you have too much homework, it does not measure how smart you are, just how long you can go before saying "screw it, I'm not doing this work anymore." and flunking out.
Posted by Tinkerbell 8 years ago
Tinkerbell
I agree with Con on this. It say "too much homework" not homework. I have this same problem right now its not the fact of homework its the fact that there are sometimes when its just too much homework it can be very overwhelming and the fact that I stay up until midnight or longer doing my homework and then having to get up to go to school in the morning is very exhausting.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
The resolution is a tautology. Why accept it? lolz.
Posted by TheSkeptic 8 years ago
TheSkeptic
"Too much homework" is quite arbitrary don't you think?
Vote Placed by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
crazypenguinJuggernautTied
Vote Placed by crazypenguin 8 years ago
crazypenguin
crazypenguinJuggernautTied