KingJames123
ColeTrain

tom brady is better than peyton manning

ColeTrain
Started: 4/2/2015 Category: Sports

KingJames123

Pro

hes better more superbowls more sb mvps the only thing is less touchdowns
ColeTrain

Con

Highly respected and decorated NFL coach Vince Lombardi was once quoted in saying, "Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication, and respect for authority." Lombardi was completely right. It is because I agree with the criterion Coach Lombardi has laid that I negate the resolution. Peyton Manning has fulfilled the role as quarterback at a superior level over Tom Brady.

C1: Pre-NFL
When you look at pre-NFL levels of play, Peyton Manning is far superior. Considering college play, Peyton Manning was a serious contestant for the Heisman trophy on three occasions;1995(6th), 1996(8th), and 1997(2nd). His stats were also superior.

C2: Ingenuity
Peyton has such better ingenuity and playcalling ability. His capability of audibles and changing a would-be failure into a success is unmatched, even by Tom Brady.

C3: Statistics
When comparing important stats (such as passing touchdowns in a season and career), Peyton is indubitably on a higher level than Tom.

http://www.sports-reference.com...
KingJames123

Pro

They've both studied their way to the top. "Being around Tom, and I've heard the same thing Jim [Caldwell, Ravens offensive coordinator] said about Peyton, they study more than anybody that I've ever known," Pees said.

Since the 1970 merger, Brady is history's best in career winning percentage (.775), and Manning (.696) is third. They are separated only by a guy named Joe Montana. Incredibly, Brady could go 0-16 next season and still have a better percentage than the second-place Montana.Brady was the league's Comeback Player of the Year in 2009 after having the ACL in his left knee shredded the season before.The other major difference in these two careers is postseason play. Brady is 18-7 in playoff games, and Manning is 10-11. Eight of the 13 times Manning has led his team into the postseason, his team lost its first game.

The three times they've met in the postseason -- Brady is 2-1 -- the winner has gone on to win the Super Bowl. Three times in fives Super Bowl trips, Brady has won the ultimate game. Manning has one championship ring in two trips. In the minds of many observers, that is the deciding factor in the Brady-Manning debate. Peyton Manning has been to two Super Bowls, Tom Brady to five.The one Peyton won was because of how well the defense played through the playoffs. It will take at least one more Super Bowl ring for Manning to pass Brady in the legacy department.
ColeTrain

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for his response. Let's begin.

-=Rebuttals=-
My opponents first argument is that they have both studied their way to the top. This places them both on the same field. As my opponent has not made an argument showing that Tom is better than Peyton. Therefore, the argument should fall in my favor, as we also see that Peyton is more dedicated to the game than Tom Brady. Dan Pompei, of Sports on Earth, interviewed Peyton's father, former Saints QB Archie Manning. He explains, "He got pushed around a little. That probably helped him compete. He seemed like he was more dedicated to it, more serious, than some of his buddies were. Even a game of 20 in the backyard, he was pretty serious about it. He had good friends and he really liked them. But the ones who weren't as serious about sports as he was, he didn't have a lot of patience with." [1] An experienced player, Archie indeed believes that Peyton is one of the most dedicated to ever play the game. USA Today examines this aspect of the game with an interview with Peyton himself. He says, ""I don't think that I do any more than any quarterback should. I get asked, 'How much film do you watch?' I've never logged hours. I've always watched enough to get myself ready to play. "The cerebral part of the game has always been something where I had to get my edge. I really study the opponent, study myself, study my own players, my own routes." [2] Moreover, Brian Costello of the New York Post categorizes Manning by stating, "Manning is not the most athletic quarterback. He is not the strongest quarterback. He certainly is not the fastest. But no one can debate he is the most prepared." [3] This preparedness and game study is what leads him to greatness.

My opponent's second argument focuses on winning percentage. However, it is essential to understand that the game of football is a team sport. That being the truth, the correlation between Tom and the team's winning percentage doesn't prove that Tom was the causation of such a percentage. Thus, this statistic cannot prove Tom's supposed superiority over Peyton, and falls without merit.

His next argument centralizes around postseason play. The "Manning Curse" seems to have affirmed this point, but we also realize that a lot of the losses were not due to Peyton. This playoff "choke" should not tarnish Manning's reputable legacy. The Washington Post explains the reason, "
His playoff record is also frequently talked about, but when you correct for the small sample size, it is not out of line with what we should expect. For example, Manning was just 22-2 as the Broncos starting QB in the regular season home starts but just 2-2 in home starts during the playoffs. If we want to adjust an NFL won-loss record at any point during the season, take eleven games of .500 ball and add them to the actual record. This iwll give you the best estimate of the team's "true" winning percentage talent going forward. So for Denver at home during the regular season with Manning under center, that would be a “true” winning percentage of .786. Over a four-game sample that would mean three wins and one loss, or a one-win difference from what Manning produced in the playoffs for the Broncos. Hardly the performance of a choker." [4]

He continues this notion, saying that this is the deciding factor as to why Brady is supposedly superior to Manning. He says that it will take at least one more ring for Manning to pass prady in the legacy department. Yet, there are other aspects that determine a player's legacy.

-=Claims=-
In regards to my last statement, there definitely is other aspects that determine legacy, and a player's greatness as a whole; the biggest of which being the NFL MVP award. This award is designed to calculate and measure individual skill. In that category, Manning destroys Brady with no competition. With his win this year, Manning takes his legacy to the next level, becoming the most decorated player in NFL history, in terms of league MVP awards. He now has five. This is a huge advantage over Tom Brady, who only posesses two, and hasn't received one in over 4 years (2010). Furthermore, Manning's win this year was statistically unchallenged. Chris Wesseling of Around the NFL documents, "By basic statistical measures, Manning generated the most productive season ever. He set records with 55 touchdown passes and 5,477 yards through the air while leading the Denver Broncos past the 2007 New England Patriots for most points in NFL history." [5] Take note that Manning played for that 2007 Patriots team, and won the MVP. This further proves that Manning has accomplished greater feats in a single season, at an older age. Thank you.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................
[1] http://www.sportsonearth.com...
[2] http://www.usatoday.com...
[3] http://nypost.com...
[4] http://www.washingtonpost.com...
[5] http://www.nfl.com...

KingJames123

Pro

KingJames123 forfeited this round.
ColeTrain

Con

My opponent has forfeited. Extend all arguments.
KingJames123

Pro

KingJames123 forfeited this round.
ColeTrain

Con

My opponent has forfeited. Extend arguments.
KingJames123

Pro

KingJames123 forfeited this round.
ColeTrain

Con

Vote Placed by 16kadams 1 year ago
16kadams
KingJames123ColeTrainTied