Debate Rounds (3)
(2) The purpose of torture is to cause someone to cease to act in accordance with his or her own will and act in accordance to the will of the torturer.
(3) What is moral is ethical.
(4) Ethics is acting in accordance with what is right and wrong.
(5) Cases where the lives of innocents can be saved such as bomb threats and car jacks with children in the car are cases where necessary minimalist torture is morally justifiable.
(6) Necessary minimalist torture is morally justifiable.
(7) Minimalist torture is torture in where the torturee can still physically and psychological functions after the torture occurs.
(8) Torture is morally justifiable if presented with imminent threat to the life or lives of other.
(9) Therefore torture is minimally morally justifiable.
controversial- 5 is true because torture is minimalist when its for the purpose of saving lives.
(2) It is not simply that the person is coerced into saying or doing what they don"t want to do. Breaking a person"s will should be more clearly explained.
(3) This premise is too vague; there needs to be a definition of both morals and ethics.
(4) Contrarily, ethics asks us to pay attention to something beyond ourselves.
(5) There could be a possible situation where the lives of innocents can be saved, but maximalist torture is used instead of minimalist torture.
(6) Since maximalist torture damages the victim"s autonomy and self-identity irretrievably, it is not morally justifiable.
(7) Therefore all kinds of torture are not minimally morally justifiable
controversial- the definition in premise 4 comes from the basics of ethics packet.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 1 year ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||0||0|
Reasons for voting decision: I'm kind of confused. Con manipulated the resolution to be "all kinds of torture are minimally justifiable" while pro thought the resolution to be "torture is minimally justifiable". Since the resolution is too unclear, null vote.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.