Lauren_k
Contra

transcendental meditation for prisoners

Lauren_k

Lauren_k

Pro

I'm debating that transcendental meditation be required for prison inmates. This rehabilitation technique should be a goal during imprisonment. The main goal of prisoner rehabilitation is to help the prisoner come out of the criminal world and live a normal life.

1st round: Acceptance.

2nd, and 3rd round 4th round: Arguments and rebuttal.

5th round: Conclusion and summary
Contra

Con

Well, FIRST OFF, I am going to try to use both real and humorous arguments in this debate.

Plus, since my opponent did not name any definitions, I have the opportunity to lay some down:

Transcendental Meditation (TM): A specific form of mantra meditation, and to the TM movement.

Prisoners: A person who is confined in prison or kept in custody, especially as the result of legal process. Most usually a criminal.

**This Debate will almost certainly use videos to display my position, but they will most certainly not be boring, but will be relating to my position in a way that conveys my side. They will not be long either.

Good Luck!

Lauren_k

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I look forward to your humor, but I'll maintain a more serious stance on the issue to state why Transcendental Meditation (TM) should be implemented into prisons as a mandatory part of their rehabilitation.

TM is a solution to the overcrowding and high rate of repeated incarceration among convicts. So far, there is nothing in place that seems to work towards this problem. Charles Alexander, a Harvard researcher started TM programs in state prisons in Massachusetts, said the federal government is "open to solutions because nothing else has worked."

Building more prisons isn't feasible, and many times convicts are eventually released without the the help and tools they need to become citizens that can lead a successful lives. I will lay out several arguments as to why TM is a perfect moral way to address prisoners as they serve time.

The theory of free will can explain criminal behaviour. Here are two important points.
•����The roots of criminality lie in the way people think and make their decisions.
•� Crime occurs because the criminal wills it or chooses it,
and it is this choice they make that rehabilitation must deal with.
Source: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...

Transcendental meditation's ability to foster inner clarity and peace overrides the desire to commit crimes.

Scientific Proof
On a certain study by a university the rate of repeat convictions dropped to 5 percent from 90 percent in six months, and three prisons had to be closed for lack of demand due to using TM. Its effects and benefits have been documented by more than 600 scientific research studies conducted at 200 universities and research institutions in 35 countries. The National Institutes of Health has contributed more than $21 million to verify the benefits of the TM technique. No other program has received this level of attention�and respect from the scientific community.
Source: http://www.neurosoup.com...

EASY AND EFFECTIVE
TM is effective and easy to learn, natural, and runs no risks. It can be done in just 20 minutes once or twice a day. As a person gets used to it they can increase the time. Little effort and no specific level of education is required, along with so anyone can learn to do it. You don't even have to believe that it works to start.

TM provides a restful alertness, therefore giving a person a more settled state of awareness. In this state, even a person who has committed crimes can find greater creativity, improved learning, higher moral reasoning which are important skill offenders need to acquire.

Another aspect that makes it perfect for all prisoners besides the moral reasons is that it is for all. TM is not a religion, a philosophy, or a lifestyle. Therefore, TM cannot contradict any persons religion, philosophy, or lifestyle. It can be used along with drugs and education. Robert Wynne, dean of faculty at Maharishi said, "transcendental meditation has proven to be an effective drug treatment program."
Source: http://articles.chicagotribune.com...
Contra

Con

Practical Arguments THAT Provoke the Mind:

It is common sense that if you make people do something, they are not usually going to want to do it if it isn't helpful for them. Making criminals do this just aggravates this principle. Here, in the first video I show a man (who is a drug dealer - not known to the cops), who is forced to leave his vehicle and not drive it.

Then, because he was forced to do something with little benefit to himself, he explodes. As you will see, there is no benefit in the end.

From Albuquerque, New Mexico:

Mandate him to do something:
(video 1)

The Explosion:
(video 2)

*violating his rights under the 1st amendment, which is the same for our debate :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, my opponent lists reasons why transcendental meditation is good, and for prisoners, it would also be good.

She basically says it is the only way to reduce crime.

However, there are other things that are effective that we can do. We can:

• Be tough on crime
            • Be tough on the causes of crime
Rebuttals
One such opportunity is to train skills to inmates, because former inmates who can make an honest living at a good wage will be less likely to offend again. [1] It is a great idea, since it attacks some of the main causes of crime: poverty and low incomes.

Also, at first, TM sounds from my opponent's perspective as a promising solution. However, several clinical studies have found that the only health benefits from TM is relaxation. [2] There are other techniquest that can achieve relaxation, including exercise, learning a new skill in a good environment, good sleep, or regular meditation, or therapy.

Unconstitutional

Plus, the US government has determined that TM is a religion or a cult. In Malnak v Yogi, the US courts determined that TM is religious under the establishment clause. [3] [4] It was ruled unconstitutional to teach TM to students in high schools because it violated the separation of church and state. If it is illegal to do it in schools because it violates the separation of church and state, making TM mandatory in prisons would have the same consequence: it's unconstitutional. You would be forcing people to learn a technique of Hindu/ Buddhist origins, which is Unconstitutional.

Conclusion:

TM has been found to have no significant health benefits besides relaxation. Therapy, and other techniques could be just as effective. TM is a religious activity or a cult, this has been determined by the US Court system. If we mandate that prisoners have to learn and use TM, it would be against their religious beliefs in some cases, making TM mandatory therefore Unconstitutional. TM can be voluntary, as it would be a personal choice, and therapy could help prisoners as well. Treating the root causes of crime like I said would be effective. If you want an Unconstitutional mandate for prisoners that violates their civil liberties, you would want to make TM mandatory for prisoners like my opponent is supporting.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...'s_Prison_Service
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://books.google.com...
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...

Lauren_k

Pro

My opponent argues that common sense states:

A prisoner does X
X isn't helpful
Therefore X aggravates the prisoner

The problem with this is that there is no solid argument for why X could be Transcendental Meditation. What evidence shows TM would not be helpful? Therefore why would TM aggravate prisoners?

Be tough on crime
Be tough on the causes of crime

As I have stated: criminality lies in the way people think and make decisions.
TM benefits the prisoner in ways they help them make better choices.

Rebuttals

Con argues that TM should not be mandatory in prisons because there are other ways that also work as promising solutions towards their rehabilitation. Just because there are other approaches to rehab does not give enough reason as to why TM should not be mandatory in prisons. In fact, TM is a perfect complementary practice to other methods, as I have stated in my opening argument. I never said TM must be the ONLY practice, but that it be mandatory.

Con stating that TM only has effects on relaxation is a fallacious understatement. For example recently the American College of Cardiology Symposium Highlights 
Research on TM and Cardiovascular Disease
Q: Is there evidence that the Transcendental Meditation program alone can lower high blood pressure?
Dr. Kaplan: Several studies on both teenagers (American Journal of Hypertension, 2004) and elderly adults (Hypertension, 1999) have demonstrated that high blood pressure is reduced even after a few months of twice-daily practice of the Transcendental Meditation technique. The need for medication is reduced and sometimes eliminated. Anyone on medication who starts practicing the TM technique should follow up regularly with their physician to monitor this positive effect on blood pressure and the need for continued medication. [1]

Effects on Society
Extensive research published in leading scientific journals demonstrates that the powerful, stress-reducing effect of the TM technique has a calming effect in the surrounding population. When individuals practice TM in groups, the research has shown a dramatic and immediate reduction in societal stress, crime, violence, and conflict—and an increase in coherence, positivity, and peace in society. [1]

It should be noted that although exercise and job skills are important for a person's well being does not provide the long term benefits of the TM practice for self-actualization and self-development. This is a key component that is missing in the rehab process. Many prisons have tried TM and had incredible progress, so I believe that all prisons should be given the opportunity to use this technique as well.
http://youtu.be...

Unconstitutional
Millions of people have learned the Transcendental Meditation program from all religious faiths, including priests, rabbis, and ministers, and they find no conflict between the practice and their religions. [2]
The Federal Government never declared the TM program is a religion. Numerous government programs involving the TM program have been approved by the government for implementing or researching the TM program in health facilities, schools, universities, research facilities, prisons and probation programs.[2]
TM program is not Hinduism, therefore, any more than Einstein's theory of relativity is Jewish, or Genetic theory, conceived of by Monk Gregor Mendel is considered to be Christian. No religious beliefs are involved.

To hold the opinion that the TM program is a religion is to ignore an enormous body of scientific research which demonstrates clearly that it is not a religion.

http://www.tm.org... [1]
http://www.truthabouttm.org...[2]
Contra

Con

C1: "TM is Good For You"

My opponent's source is a website that owns a TM program. It is clearly biased. Unless my opponent provides more independent, believable research, we should not take the source used.

Several indpendent studies have found that TM has no health benefits besides relaxation. [1] My sources, are indpendent. My opponent is citing a TM program who financially profits from TM.

It is most likely that the benefits of TM my opponent describes are not from TM itself. It is probably just an internal belief that makes relaxation apparent. TM has shown not to have any health benefits.

C2: Unconstitutional

"Millions of people have learned the Transcendental Meditation program from all religious faiths, including priests, rabbis, and ministers, and they find no conflict between the practice and their religions. [2]

The Federal Government never declared the TM program is a religion. Numerous government programs involving the TM program have been approved by the government for implementing or researching the TM program in health facilities, schools, universities, research facilities, prisons and probation programs.[2]"

By looking at my opponent's source, the second part is plagiarized.

Plus, the US government has determined that TM is a religion or a cult. In Malnak v Yogi, the US courts determined that TM is religious under the establishment clause. It was ruled unconstitutional to teach TM to students in high schools because it violated the separation of church and state. If it is illegal to do it in schools because it violates the separation of church and state, making TM mandatory in prisons would have the same consequence: it's unconstitutional.

^ THIS has not been refuted

"TM program is not Hinduism, therefore, any more than Einstein's theory of relativity is Jewish, or Genetic theory, conceived of by Monk Gregor Mendel is considered to be Christian. No religious beliefs are involved.

To hold the opinion that the TM program is a religion is to ignore an enormous body of scientific research which demonstrates clearly that it is not a religion."

Also plagiarized. Also, I have refuted this.

Conclusion:

Until my opponent can clearly prove otherwise, TM has no health benefits besides relaxation. TM has been found the court system that TM is religious in nature, and therefore would violate the separation of church and state. Thus, making TM mandatory for prisoners would be unconstitutional.

Lauren_k

Pro

I provided all my sources that I retrieved information from, I just didn't number everything and I will make sure to do that better in the future.

The TM program website is not stating anything that hasn't been researched by unbiased sources.
This is from the site: "More than 600 scientific studies verifying the wide-ranging benefits of the Transcendental Meditation technique have been conducted at 250
 independent universities and medical schools in 33 countries during the past 40 years." It's a big claim to say all these studies are biased.

You are correct in the fact that the good solid research of TM just shows regular relaxation. However, you have yet to refute how regular relaxation does not help improve one's health.

Con- It is most likely that the benefits of TM my opponent describes are not from TM itself. It is probably just an internal belief that makes relaxation apparent.
Refute
It is most likely that the benefits of TM my opponent describes are not from TM itself. It is probably just an internal belief that makes relaxation apparent.

The Con has not refuted TM's good use, actually he supported it. TM does help a person by changing their internal belief. That is where problems arise from, and bad internal beliefs are the reason why many prisoners got into their situation. By changing internal beliefs and relaxing, life changing events can occur.

My opponent also focuses on a minute details about health benefits of TM, which are distracting from the main argument of this debate. Prisoners do not need to be cured of heart disease, they need coping skills and personal growth.

He attacks my arguments for plagiarism and calls that a refute, when in fact the information has not been refuted, just ridiculed. Therefore, I have yet to hear why TM is unsafe and of no positive use to prisoners. I would like my opponent to refute why relaxation would be bad for the mind of someone who lives with negative emotions and poor judgement.

Many times inmates suffer from anxiety and depression that can be helped by quieting the mind and learning relaxation techniques. TM provides this in an easy and cheap way. No one is saying that this is going to create world peace and miracles will happen to your health. But Con has yet to refute why this relaxation method should not be mandatory. TM has not been ruled a religion in the United States, just once 27 years ago in one state.

Refute
I will address and refute your claim that TM is a cult. There is only one case in NJ that claimed it was unconstitutional to have TM in schools due to religious conflict. It never claimed to be a cult. Never elsewhere has anyone come to this conclusion that TM interferes with religion. You have not provided any evidence of one court that ruled that TM is a religious cult. This is an Appeal to Ridicule. Just because one bad claim was mentioned against TM, you therefore claim TM to be morally wrong. This is fallacious. One claim does not automatically make TM a cult, a religion, or bad.

By working on emotions that cause unwanted behaviors, TM will help prisoners become more aware in their life and is a complementary aspect in their Rehab.
Contra

Con

In this debate, my opponent has given me the burden of negating the topic at hand. The egistemology of psychological episteme previews my view as such, but would be on a double standard if I did not reveal the multitude of realities that the topic may bring to such a state of subjective reality. It must be exposed that to be candid may go opposed to one's staunch beliefs, but for one the enhanced view is revealed.

From the institution of this epoch, common-place is the event whilst a regime presides over companions of its own type. To preside brutally with no merit on such an occasion is the height of corruption. It is libidinously driven by one's lust and greed, that could deem thyself as impartial, while the time is prevailing to one's wishes and humanity's objective view on morality and philosophy as to be contradicted! To perform such a further extrusion of one's autonomy is hostile to the sacred principles we hold higher than an individual, but to a collective power to improve the individual in a circular, continous cycle.

We do not know. They do not know. It may be just as an esoteric question that presides among the many here on ddo. To reveal the shroud that may appear as larval, we would require a much exspounding push on our fellow beliefs, opening to the gate of uncertainty, unrevelty, and cruelty. Thus, collective movement requires together common and esoteric knowledge, although more of the latter, to complete a full conclusion for which is greater in humanity's struggle verses a view which we see as immoral and unjust. There are countless other states of thought and wisdom to show us, but nonetheless, there are countless other possible preferable states and my opponent cannot know them all. Thus in some way or the other it would be preferable if she looked from a different point of views to contemptly contradict herown.

To defend further:

Optimate conclusions = a, un-optimate results = x

If not a than x
If not x than a
Therefore a, x
Therefore not x, a

The very mere concept of this equation to preside over a complacent result, in actuality, fails to entail an all onto-true equivocation, while failing to show the other continously. While we may conceive of beings as having the property of being unkowing, contemplations and actions are not properties at all, as the promise of human greed perverts all options of generosity, to the unbehest of the person themself. More specifically, positivity is not a perfection, thus it does not entail onto-illogical equivocation. So the second premise is viable. Therefore, this concerns holds if anything is real, and holding pure reason, we can hold that statement be held true, thus fulfilling a true equivocation. We can show that the classic onto-omnia argument fails by keeping the erroneous second premise and replacing the first one with: "Utopia is the most perfect ('the greatest') society conceivable." This parallel conclusion is clearly true. Only observation could determine that such things are natural. To withdraw from this invocation, is to help better a kinship with remarkable steadfastness, character, and unfeasible connection. To do so is local, and otherwise is tedious, and abating to the value beliefs of others that may reside upon further avenues as to such.

Even if pro was abecedarian to the subject we hold to discuss presently, there is no way to argue positively. Furthermore Problematic Obsequiousness would present an argument against this I would remind my opponent. As values are of the most concerning matter, kinship of one's knowledge would better uphold this subjective view, rather than to be held to abidance by force, and in many occasions, violence to the behest of corresponding sides for little gain, for such a tradeoff to the side.

Infinite encompassing plains are clearly probable, which entitles infinite possibilities too this argument. According to deontological theorists hedonistic terms such as intensity, duration, fecundity, effectivety, and likelihood, imply that pleasure can be measured quantitatively.

1. (x) (Bx -> Cx)
2. Bu
3. Cu

Where B = possible alternate places, c = cause, u = universe, and x is to remain the variable unabloom by both corresponding sides.

Universally quantified statements do not commit one to the existence of classes of alternate plains, whereas existential statements (Such as M-P1) do. Hence P1 and M-P1 are not logically equivalent. This Prima Facie concludes the fact that alternate utilities encompass all plains of existence. It may be held to the moral equivalence if it was so, but alas that is negated as values and views are subjective to a kinship or an individual itself. Further, transcendental meditation has resolved thorughout time to cause painful, and acutely harming effects to the individual, during which the individual is unaware of these effects! It would be intensly immoral to put such people in such a parole with no merit, and utilize resources for something harmful on the contrary of prison's means. [2]

I would also like to ask my opponent the following questions. I would also request that she give reasoning to her answers, not just a simple yes or no. No harm, I shall not be uncandid in the following round.

Does intrinsic universalizability and the uncategorical imperative theory go hand in hand?

Is reality an absolute?

Is it possible to disprove a negative?

Is it possible to disprove a double negative, assuming all else is in the state of unrehinged equilibrium?

Do necessary existences entail maximal loga-logical plains of encompassments?

Do alternate fields transfer equally to others in time?

Do objective logical facts exist, or rather are they subjective to an individual?

Do bodies of force exert unfair forces onto others based on the thought of the regime head?

With this, I will close my argument. I hope that my opponent provides a clear response, so we can move on into a useful conclusion of thought.

[1] http://plato.stanford.edu...
[2] http://www.suggestibility.org...

Lauren_k

Pro

My opponent is trying to sound smart, which is fine but for the purpose of this debate he is presenting a 90% nonsensical argument while I am giving clear concise reasons as to why TM is a good ethical tool for all prisoners to have access to.

I state that my opponent is trying to act "smart" because it doesn't require much intellect to copy and paste a bunch of words he probably can't decipher without a dictionary. How do I know this is the case?
people talked about it here:
http://www.debate.org...
and people have used this identical argument:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

I will reiterate my point that I made from the start. I gave numerous reasons as to why TM is 1. beneficial even if only proven for the purpose of self realization and relaxation 2. not a religion or cult so there's no argument for controversy 3. my opponent has not come up with arguments relevant to the topic on this debate, or that hasn't been already refuted my me.

I'd like to thank my opponent for this debate.

I would also like to make the point
big words don't necessarily make a good argument.

To conclude
Be tough on crime
Be tough on the causes of crime

For all that take the time to read this, watch this little video even for a minute about prisoners who have had the opportunity to try TM. I believe that all prisoners should have TM implemented into their rehab program as there are

-no negative side effects
-it can be used in conjunction with other approaches
-in the long run it will be cheaper to fund this than the taxpayers dollars that pay for recurring offenders
Contra

Con

I will be honest, when I joined this debate, I had no real clue of where I stood. My opponent has convinced me to support the resolution.

Vote PRO

(by the way, my last argument did make sense, I just made it in very hard language).
Posted by kyro90 5 years ago
kyro90
I was literally playing on my DS Emu playing pokemon when I read this and when I saw your def for transcedentalmeditation I laughed like so hard! xD
Posted by Lauren_k 5 years ago
Lauren_k
Oh, I did but it didn't come up like yours. just a text link.
Posted by Contra 5 years ago
Contra
You just post the youtube link.
Posted by Lauren_k 5 years ago
Lauren_k
How do you post a video?
Vote Placed by Xerge 5 years ago
Xerge
Lauren_kContraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession...