transgenders are misguided- there's no denying biology
Debate Rounds (5)
Well, I'll get right down to it then.
1. We're born either female or male.
2. Both genders differ significantly. (Think chromosomes, genitalia, brain structure)
3. There's no changing you're genetic makeup.
4. So gender is unalterable.
A transgender with false beliefs about his/herself suffers from a delusion, and may have an underlying mental illness.
(Think of an anorexic who thinks they're fat when they're really not.)
The right thing to do is not indulge transgenders' delusions, just as we shouldn't tell anorexics they're fat.
Lastly, everyone is equal, so transgenders should also be treated with love, compassion, and affection.
2. Yes, and this is probably a cause of gender dysphoria. There is significant evidence that transgender people have a form of brain-intersexedness. Example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
3. This doesn't matter since gender is social and sex is biological.
4. Both gender and sex are alterable. Gender is social, and sex is bendable. Hormones can alter your body significantly to the point that it's like an artificially intersex body.
5. Being transgender is not a belief.
6. Humiliating and insulting people is the opposite of treating them kindness.
Not really. Think of Caitlyn Jenner.
Every cell in his body, accept his sperm cells have Y chromosomes. His body's full of testosterone, he's got male genitals, and most importantly, he thinks like a man because he's go a man's brain. No scientist can alter all of this.
I'm sorry, but it's delusional of him to think he's a woman. Facts don't care about his feelings.
There's no challenging biology and reality. (And I promise you, biology and reality will always win.)
"Humiliating and insulting people is the opposite of kindness."
Acknowledging a mental disorder should never be humiliating. It's the first step in fixing a problem.
The real crime would be denying a person treatment to make them feel better about themselv
2. How does Caitlyn Jenner "think like a man?"
3. I already told you that gender is social and sex is biological. You have decided to ignore this information, and that is cheating.
4. The American Psychological Association is the major authority on psychology in North America. They are the experts on what is and isn't a mental illness and how mental illnesses should be treated. They do not consider being transgender to be a mental disorder. Proof: http://www.apa.org...
You're right- my bad ;)
"I'm not sure if she still has her old genitalia."
Yep, he sure does.
"If chromosomes are the sole identifier of your sex, this lady is a man."
thank you sir!
"2. How does Caitlyn Jenner think like a man?"
He has a guy's brain.
"3. I already told you that gender is social and sex is biological."
I agree with you. However, gender shouldn't counter sex.
That's why transgenders are delusional.
"4. The American Psychological Association...do(es) not consider being transgender to be a mental disorder."
The APA is infested with political correctness. As a result, they're denying sick people treatment in hopes of not offending transgenders.
2. "He has a guy's brain." This is not a real answer. I asked you how, as in what ways, does Caitlyn think like a man? Can you give a specific answer that isn't based on gender stereotypes?
3. "gender shouldn't counter sex." What does it mean for gender to counter sex? If you're going to use unusual wording, you have to define it first.
4. "The APA is infested with political correctness." Evidence, please?
You previously made my point for me, so thank you.
"If sex is determined solely by something invisible to the naked eye, why do you think it matters in society?"
Because genes are the blueprints of who we are, and determine what gender we are. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's irrelevant. (atoms)
"'2. He has a guy's brain.' This is not a real answer."
Just because you don't like what I said doesn't make it not a real answer.
Facts stay true, whether you like them or not.
And the simple fact is Caitlyn has got a man's brain because he was born a man and still is a man.
I'm sure you know male and female brains are structurally different.
2. "Because genes are the blueprints of who we are, and determine what gender we are." You mean like the intersex lady whose body is immune to testosterone?
3. A statement is not automatically a fact. Here is a fact: there is growing evidence that transgender people have an intersex condition of the brain. Proof:
And anyways, this is a transgender debate.
"here is growing evidence that transgender people have an intersex condition of the brain. Proof:"
I wouldn't throw around the word proof. There's may be proof for growing evidence, but no proof that transgenders have an intersex condition of the brain.
I'm sure you know that as far as science goes, its almost impossible to prove anything.
I thought I'd end by saying I'm going to be a great psychologist one day.
Don't worry, I probably won't get many transgenders at my door since they're not looking to be cured
https:// www.sciencedaily.com/ releases/2014/05/ 140528163753. htm
http:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/ 20562024
http:// www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ pubmed/ 21195418
1. The rareness of something doesn't de-legitimize it for making a point.
2. If someone has XXY chromosomes, which some people do, what sex are they?
3. Good luck in your endeavors, but your choice of wording suggests that you were merely trying to get under my skin this entire time. I'd like to make one more point- "transgender" is an adjective.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.