subhasrirayaguru
thett3

universal brotherhood or patriotism

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

subhasrirayaguru

Pro

hello friends!!!!!!!today i am here to debate for the motion that universal brotherhood is more valuable than patriotism.universal brotherhood creates bonding between people but patiotism makes us to be narrow minded not only in our thought but also in our actions.it makes us selfish but universal brotherhood is all about loving the whole world...........
thett3

Con

Thanks for the topic Pro. I'll be arguing that patriotism is over-all more valuable to society than universial brotherhood. I'll be using historical facts as most of my evidence, but if my Opponent asks for a link I will provide one.

=My Argument=

C1. Pride in country leads to competition between states, allowing for societal advancement.

Think of the space program. Think of how much it has brought us, in terms of convienence (cell phones, GPS, ect.), military intelligence, and human achievement and knowledge. Now think back to the begining, why did such a program begin? The answer lies mostly in the competition between the Soviet Union and the United States. If the people running these countries were not patriotic, and did not want to defend and preserve their country, if they were willing to just back down and let the other win these achievements would likely never happen, or if they did they would happen much slower. Even the internet we are both using now comes from advancements brought about by the cold war.[1]. Without pride in country, many of the technological advancements we currently have would not have existed.

C2. Universial brotherhood is impossible.

Save for a few sociopaths, none of us would ever kill a fellow countryman, let alone a brother! To believe that all people could recognize and love eachother as equals is wishful thinking at it's worst. Indeed, violence is a part of human nature[2], so to assume that there would be no wars if there was no pride in country is false. Look at the war's in Iraq and Afghanistan, the vast majority of people do not support them (AKA are not patriotic when it comes to that aspect) yet they still happened,, and in the case of Afghanistan are still happening.

Vote Con!

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://www.sirc.org...
subhasrirayaguru

Pro

subhasrirayaguru forfeited this round.
subhasrirayaguru

Pro

subhasrirayaguru forfeited this round.
subhasrirayaguru

Pro

subhasrirayaguru forfeited this round.
thett3

Con

victory hangs in the balance..
subhasrirayaguru

Pro

subhasrirayaguru forfeited this round.
thett3

Con

umm.....

HERES AN AWESOME SONG!

Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 3 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
All right! I am looking forward to debating this in a month or so. Just love the space debates. PM me whenever you are ready.
Posted by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
Yes sir! Thats what got me to this site in the first place
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Do you debate in real life?
Posted by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
A month or so because I'm working on the september topic right now and probably will be for a while. And no whichever side you prefer I'll go aginst is. I just think it would be good practice
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Why a month? I don't get it. Are you saying that you are going to be debating this in real life and also want to debate on DDO? Or are you saying, you want to debate on DDO in public forum style with a coin flip? Either way, I'm down for it.
Posted by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
Well I have to have a Pro and Con case. In a real tournament the sides are decided by coin flip. So both I guess
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Which side are you going to be on?
Posted by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
Maybe. You know a hell of a lot more about space than I do my friend.

Speaking of that, the October PF topic is "Resolved: Private sector investment in human space exploration is preferable to public sector investment" so once I've reserached and written up some cases willy ou debate it with me? This will probably be in a month or so..
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Thett3, you say that the space race happened because of competition. But isn't it a lot better now that the US and Russia are working together? Was patriotism necessary for space exploration?
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 months ago
Zarroette
subhasrirayaguruthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 3 years ago
Man-is-good
subhasrirayaguruthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: subhasrirayaguru forfeited most of the debate (point to Con), made numerous cases that were based on no sources, and could not counter Con's points that a) universal brotherhood was virtually impossible to achieve b) patriotism encourages competition that, as history demonstrates, has lead to technological advances.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 3 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
subhasrirayaguruthett3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. However, I don't agree with some of Con's contentions. More in the comments section.