bulldog50
j.pearce

uploading of the mind

bulldog50

Con

this is not me trying to beat you over the head with a bible if your not a Christian. if, however you are then maybe this just slipped your mind but to be absent from the body is to be present with the lord. I had the same question as well. while for me, this line from the bible is enough for me, you also have to figure out the problem we would have with overcrowding. if you believe in natural selection this would also prevent it from happening. I admit that if it were possible I would certainly use it. it could No used to allow scientists longer periods of time to research new forms of medical treatments and medicines but die eventually. the soul lives within the mind, if you believe in a soul but that's not the pain hahn, how is one to know if the uploaded you is the real you, there would be no way to prove it. bottom line on this idea is that eventually the earth would be overcrowded, and governments would have to begin t kill off people. like on the movie the giver. they would be released. your mind could be blocked to certain things too. and also venerable to caber attacks. really this is a good idea but the technology does not exist that would allow a fast transfer of trillions of gigabytes of data your brain possesses. your brain remembers everything you have ever seen, felt, touched or heard so even though you can not access it it is still there, locked in the subconscious. you would be able to access that with an uploaded mind. but think of the storage device needed to hold all that memory. in today's time it would most likely (just a guess here) take up about four stories of a large building. a warehouse containing an uploaded brain. and lets not forget this. while the brain is contained in our head, nobody can use, hack it. if it were uploaded it would be verbal to attack, not by organic virus but by caber virus. and if an electromagnetic pulse went off, boom, everybody in that area is out like a light. if you need maintenance or learn another lets say thousand years of information you would have to increase your storage. it may require a system shutdown and whose to say you will still be here when you are rebooted. its a noble idea, curing all illnesses. if there were no risk I would try hard to do it. but being a Christian I cant believe it could happen. but if it could I would like too. my uncle has multiple sclerosis. and is close to being paralyzed. I would use this to save him and cure this illness. but sadly like I said, by the time he was uploaded in today's time and with our current tech he would already be dead. I'm very sceptical as to if this will ever be tried
j.pearce

Pro

It is not really an issue with overcrowding, since with all those pros that people will receive, they probably will lose ability to think emotionally, ergo no love, no spontaneous growth of population. Population will grow only if it is required.
Of course you are right, that no technology currently exist (at least it's not known publicly), but over past 20 years there was a rapid development in informational technologies, so I am optimistic, that soon it will become possible. Maybe I will be alive then :D
An regarding issues with Christianity... well, it's a hard question, but maybe that's what our purpose is?
bulldog50

Con

but a world with no emotion. I couldn't imagine. while we live in a world where freedom has caused terrible things. think of all the good emotion has done. all the art. all the weddings. emotion is what makes us human you know. if I were offered this I would refuse. passing on is a hard thing to deal with. me personally, I wouldn't want to live forever.

if you believe in God and the bible, if it is time for you to go, you will go. I never put any stock into final destination. nobody can prevent their death. if he calls you home there is nothing you can do to say no. and why would you. our lives are like dust in the wind compared to an eternity in heaven you know. there is no pain there at all. if I had the choice to live forever on earth, and see wars and death and sadness and loved ones die or to go when I am supposed to and see my creator. the one who spoke the universe into existence, plus answer all the questions I have for him I would choose to die. while your life on earth may be good or bad as a Christian I believe that you can endure anything for a little while right. while I agree that it may be in his will for us to cure all sickness. I don't think that there is a way to leave your body and still keep your soul on earth. I don't think of death as an end of all ends then there is nothing else. I think of death as something happy. because they will see me again. my uncle who is almost unable to walk will be able to run and jump and be perfect. so will I. I will see all of my family. of course. I'm not saying this to persuade you or tell you this is right and nothing else is. and I'm not trying to offend you if you are not a Christian. but I am saying this is what I believe. heaven is the ultimate reward for me.

back to the emotions thing. if I had to give up my humanity to live for ever on earth I would never agree. you should never give up your humanity. that's to one thing you should always hold on to. there would be no social mobility. our thoughts and actions could be controlled and I've never been one to let people tell me what to do and expect it to be done if I don't want to do it.

you don't have to answer if you don't want to
if you don't mind me asking
are you a Christian?
just me harmlessly asking, not trying to offend you, promise
j.pearce

Pro

I'm an atheist. However I am interested in Christianity concept, but only from philosophical point of view. It is hard for me to accept that there is a being, who has created us all and who probably would know what will happen to the humanity. Generally, I believe that God is inside everyone of us. But I call it morality and conscience. The choice how to live our lives is ours.
When it will be time for me to go and I will be offered a choice to prolong my life with those methods, I probably will agree, because there will be so much more that I can do, for everyone, for myself. If I will be tired of life, then probably I will enjoy the sweet release of death.
I suppose, when it will be possible for a average human to upload their mind into a machine, there will be a lot of tension. Maybe to decrease this tension, only those who really want and will do something good for humanity will be offered a chance for immortality.
bulldog50

Con

bulldog50 forfeited this round.
j.pearce

Pro

j.pearce forfeited this round.
Posted by j.pearce 2 years ago
j.pearce
people are not ready for such thing. Too much possibilities to exploit, to loose yourself. Give it 3-4 centuries, several revolutions, a global civil war once or twice... then probably humanity will learn to value life
Posted by bulldog50 2 years ago
bulldog50
That would be pretty cool. Like you could do stuff you normally couldn't do in the real world but could do in the created world. Infinite possibilities. The greatest game ever created. Select your time period. And bam. Your in ancient Rome. And you can feel it. The feel of the ocean. The sound of the wind in your hair. Nobody would ever want to leave that game. It would be the best and worst invention in history hahaha
Posted by ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 2 years ago
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Theoretically it is possible. Under extreme scanning of some sort, a person could be copied and placed into a digital format. It would just be a copy though. Perhaps there is a possibility that you could even connect your brain directly into the computer and be a simulation of yourself inside of it. The copied version that is uploaded would have the functioning of the brain mapped out in order for that pile of data to function in though as you would in the real world. The connected version of yourself could function by the present brain sending signals to the computer which has prescanned the information your brain has stored over your lifetime.