lord_megatron
Galenodo

usefulness of history for us

lord_megatron

lord_megatron

Con

Learning history isn't useful for us as times change and the old mistakes of the gone can become the correct decisions of the now. Also, as none of us are political leaders on debate.org, I don't see the reason for us to learn history. What do I care if Hitler killed some Jews? Hitler's dead, how is he going to help me?
Galenodo

Pro

I accept the debate topic. I will be debating the vast usefulness of history for our ever-growing societies.

I didn't notice a formula to this debate so I'm going to go straight to my main argument.

Your first sentence is my basis for my argument: "...the old mistakes of the gone can become the correct decisions of the now."
The purpose of history is not to bore you (although in some cases it very well can), it's to make sure that past mistakes will never happen again. As education in Western Societies increases we must look at the pasts pros and cons and analyze the patterns associated with former events.

It also allows us to understand where many of our fundamental ideas about society come from i.e Enlightenment, Scientific Revolution, Renaissance etc.

I looks forward to your additional arguments.
lord_megatron

Con

"The purpose of history is not to bore you (although in some cases it very well can), it's to make sure that past mistakes will never happen again. As education in Western Societies increases we must look at the pasts pros and cons and analyze the patterns associated with former events."
Really, correcting past mistakes? How does the study of world war help US (Not united states, it is us, as in we) ? Will we be able to prevent world war 3 if it happens? We are not in a political leadership position, how does learning about world leaders help us? Hitler made a mistake by killing religious minorities, but even if I didn't study Hitler wouldn't I know killing is wrong? As for patterns in former events, we can't predict war or revolution patterns due to changes in society and the vast varieties of personality of people.

"It also allows us to understand where many of our fundamental ideas about society come from i.e Enlightenment, Scientific Revolution, Renaissance etc."
Apart from historians and interested students, why would anyone want to know about the origin of these ideas? I learnt about the Renaissance, yet it ain't helping me in my life at all. If I know the idea, ain't that enough?

History isn't useful as it is taking up lot of our memory that could be used for storing useful and practical information. We are learning all that history about kings and imperialist rules, but then very few countries are ruled by kings now, aren't they? And I can bet 1000 to 1 we can't become kings or dictators.
Lessons in history such as giving freedom to people and not taking high taxes is known by any person. Through empathy and compassion, it is easy to understand why we should give freedom to others and not make life difficult for other people. Why learn about all those events in history to learn this stuff?

Moreover, history is dividing people. Old grudges such as between majority of the countries and Britain, India and Pakistan, Japan and USA are kept alive as schools teach history to the masses. I am not saying not to record history, I am saying to bury it in the old archives where it belongs and won't bother anyone. History is repeated because people remember old events. If people don't remember old events, they would grow and public opinion would gradually change. Who knows, maybe India and Pakistan would have united had history not been given its fake importance.
Galenodo

Pro

Galenodo forfeited this round.
lord_megatron

Con

So, to conclude, stop studying history
Galenodo

Pro

Galenodo forfeited this round.
Posted by Khaz 9 months ago
Khaz
I'd be interested in actually engaging in a debate on this topic if you want to set up the parameters and debate again
Posted by lord_megatron 9 months ago
lord_megatron
Hertory? What the hell
Posted by Opaque 9 months ago
Opaque
@lord_megatron
We don't have to be in a high political position to make a change. Because we live in a society where we practice representative democracy we are able to call out on a person (in power's) bull.

Yes, we don't need Hitler's actions to clarify what we all know: killing is bad. But we do need to know how it was even allowed for him to get to that point. Without history one might assume he was just a guy already in power and had been pushing his agenda since birth, meaning the citizen's had little to no power to oppose it however, with history we know that he was ELECTED by the people and was the popular party because he gave the people a scapegoat (Jews) for their problems.

We all know that Jews were not the issue yet he convinced the majority to a, a majority of angry, upset, citizens who only wanted a solution to their problems.

Where I'm going with this is that in the future someone might try to do the same (P_P like a certain US political candidates) and knowing the signs can help prevent it from happening again. Yes I agree school should teach more life skills but getting rid of History isn't going to help. Not everyone has compassion and consideration. Sometimes His(/Her)tory is needed to understand the consequences of certain actions. History isn't repeated when we acknowledge it, it's repeated when we dismiss it.

One last note, His(/Her)tory only divided when you let it divide. His(Her)/story in the US doesn't cover all the things it should. In opinion more multicultural His(Her)story classes should be offered so everyone has a chance to learn about their own heritage and others so we can grow closer together. This can't be achieved if it's collecting dust in archives kept who knows where :)
Vote Placed by Ockham 9 months ago
Ockham
lord_megatronGalenodoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con gets the conduct points since Pro forfeited two rounds. Con also gets the points for convincing arguments since Con said that history isn't useful, Pro said that it can help us learn from past mistakes, Con responded that the mistakes it would help us correct are obvious, and then Pro dropped the point. This could have been a really interesting discussion if Pro hadn't left for whatever reason.