meadow_55
Sym626

veganisim is a good life choice

meadow_55

Pro

in todays world, millions of people gourge on meat and expecially in america the human abuses his right to eat meat and engourges in the fact that man is at the top of the foodchain
Sym626

Con

Seeing as my opponent hasn't done so, I offer the following definitions on the topic at hand

Vegan: a vegetarian who omits all animal products from the diet.

"in today's world, millions of people gourge on meat and expecially in america the human abuses his right to eat meat"

Eating is not a privilege; it is an essential part of life. We cannot say that a human abuses his right to eat meat because eating is not a "right" it is a basic biological process(Feel free to offer more clarification).

"engourges in the fact that man is at the top of the foodchain"

By stating this, my opponent has agreed to the fact that man is at the top of the food chain. Therefore, in the natural setup of the food chain, man is and does eat the species under it.

Now on to my points....

1. While vegan-ism lowers the risk of some health problems, it raises the risk of others.

While vegan-ism is successful in lowering the risks of diabetes, heart disease, etc., it heightens the risks of other health problems such as malnutrition. Nutrients such as vitamin b12 are "only naturally occurring in animal cells and yeast or mold cells" (1). Vegan sources to this and other nutrients are scarce.

2. Vegan-ism is largely impractical
As a vegan, you most likely must rely on vitamins and supplements. Since a major premise of vegan-ism is pro-nature, shouldn't the negative agree that it is best to get vitamins and nutrients in nature's natural packaging. By not getting these essential nutrients, the vegan risks health problems. A vegan goes as far as to not wear silk or wool, not to eat eggs, milk, butter, yogurt, cheese, honey, refined sugar (found in most all baked goods), as well as meats. This diet and lifestyle in itself proves to be largely impractical in "today's society".

(1) http://www.starchefs.com...

I await your arguments =)
meadow_55

Pro

while your reasoning's are good some still are debatable considering that "Malnutrition" is not a likely factor. Many foods are available other than meat to proved protein and the nutrients against malnutrition, soy being just one of them, can replace meat that the vegan saves for the others, which will save many animals life's which humans greedfully take
Sym626

Con

*I would also like to remind my opponent that no new points of debate can be brought up in round 3 closing arguments, or they must be ignored by the voters.

" 'Malnutrition' is not a likely factor. Many foods are available other than meat to proved protein and the nutrients against malnutrition,"

The problem with this statement is malnutrition IS a likely factor. Malnutrition doesn't just include a lack of protein, but other nutrients as well.

"Adequate total nutrition includes the following nutrients: protein, energy (calories), vitamin A and carotene, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, biotin, folate, vitamin C, antioxidants, calcium, iron, zinc, selenium, magnesium, and iodine. " (1)

Vegans are also at risk of Osteoporosis, Rickets, Iron-deficiency anemia, Macrocytic anemia, and Emaciation or slowed growth.

That aside we haven't fully addressed the issue of the question at hand "veganism is a good life choice". Veganism is a good life choice for whom? Since the question doesn't specify, let's explore this further...

A simple google search on babies killed or suffering from severe malnutrition because of veganism yields 1,490 results. Babies, children, and the elderly following strict vegan diets are high risk of severe under nourishment and malnutrition. Vegans omit all forms of dairy and eggs, and it's fair to say that even if a vegan was to breast feed, the breast milk of a vegan mother lacks docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA, the omega-3 fat found in fatty fish. It is difficult to overstate the importance of DHA, vital as it is for eye and brain development. (2)(sorry at the moment i don't have the time to fully expand on this)

While veganism has health and environmental benefits, A strict vegan removing all traces of animal products from their diet can face an expensive, difficult, and impractical task. To answer the animal rights issue, moderate eating of meat which takes place in developing countries still allows countless animals to continue living and doesn't abuse their lives or raise them for slaughter. Human hunting of animals such as deer helps reduce overpopulation since in many areas of the United States there is a lack of natural predators. When hunting takes place moderately, it is often the weaker of the species killed. Which, in turn, helps cleanse the gene pool and allow stronger, healthier species to grow. (once again my apologies for not expanding as I would like or giving more facts)

(1)Malnutrition. (n.d.). Nutrition and Well-Being A to Z. Retrieved August 19, 2008, from Reference.com website: http://www.reference.com...

(2) http://www.babble.com...
meadow_55

Pro

Im not saying that some health promblems wont be a factor but the chances are slim to none considering there are dozens of other protein sourses plus if it ever came down that the world would end from global warming first or people like you would eat all the animals!!! good bye I WIN!!!! HAHAHAHA
Sym626

Con

Okay....
Seeing as my opponent hasn't refuted any of my arguments, and ended the debate in a childish manner I'll simply point out some never addressed arguments. Since these arguments were never addressed, we have to assume the aff agrees.

1. Eating meat is not a right
2. Vegan-ism is impractical
3. Malnutrition IS a likely factor if the diet isn't created appropriately.
4. WHO is veganism a life choice for???
5. Eating meat moderately answers the animal cruelty issue

"the world would end from global warming first"
I warned my opponent that any new points brought up in closing arguments have to be ignored....

"people like you would eat all the animals!!!"
Omnivores are not causing animal extinction. I'll simply leave it at that

Ummm...... I think the winner is somewhat obvious...
vote neg!
Posted by Lydia_Rose 7 years ago
Lydia_Rose
i am a vegetarian and i think that people should be allowed to eat meat, if they want to. I chose not to for a healthier lifestyle. Vegetarianism can lead to a longer life, a lower risk of getting heart disease, breast cancer, and other diseases. I've lost 15 pounds going veggie too. The only thing i have a concern for is that even though we do need to eat to survive, we don't need to eat so much! Half of the time, we waste the food. Americans waste so much food that we could actually feed The people of New York for a year. That is a lot of wasted food. And we don't need meat at every single meal to survive either. The highest amount of meat that is recommended daily is only 6.5 ounces.
As for people who say that being a vegetarian isn't a healthy lifestyle, that actually isn't quite true. If a healthy diet is maintained(like, you know, no twinkies or McDonald's, which by the way, isn't real meat at all), all the nutrients can be received. For instance, protein. Many say that vegetarians won't get enough protein. However, tofu, beans, nuts, and other soy products can deliver almost the same amount of protein, plus additional nutrients.
"Eating is not a privilege; it is an essential part of life. We cannot say that a human abuses his right to eat meat because eating is not a "right" it is a basic biological process(Feel free to offer more clarification)."
This, i just want to say, isn't necessarily true. It is highly possible that humans were in fact not meant to eat meat, due to strong similarities that humans have with herbivores (http://www.celestialhealing.net...). On this website you can also find more interesting facts about vegetarianism and eating meat. As for me, i like being a vegetarian. I feel cleaner and fresher than ever in my life. It's been almost a year since i've stopped eating meat, and i don't think i want to go back to eating meat.
Posted by chihiro 7 years ago
chihiro
I find it funny how facist vegans can be.Hmmn...Beisides,the vegan diet isn't for everybody.My mom's on dialysis and because of other health situations her nutritionist keeps pushing her to eat more meat because there are certain nutrients in meat that benefit her whereas a total vegan lifestyle would -literally-kill her.So con pretty much brought up something mom mom has to go through.Also.If you take certain blood thinners,you can't eat any green veggies?The vitamins in them help thicken your blood.But if you're on these thinners it can thicken your blood,causing a blood clot.Not trying to bring up any arguments,but just stating a life story in short here.Especially one that I believe con could've used if I had met him earlier.Interesting all the people you meet in life.
Posted by djhk12 8 years ago
djhk12
I do think that con won by a mile, but that is because pro did a horrible job. As a vegetarian, I challenge Sym626 to try to debate me, as I can refute his/her arguements. I would not like to do that here as that would be pointless because the purpose of this site is to debate formally in the debate section, not the comment section.
Posted by xeberus 8 years ago
xeberus
Con wins by a mile. I can't believe someone voted pro.
Posted by goldspurs 8 years ago
goldspurs
Not wishing for anything to befall Ms. Newkirk, but I wonder if she realizes the meds she takes for her diabetes was tested on animals? Can you say hypocrisy??
Posted by rshortman 8 years ago
rshortman
Oh and those who don't supply their children's diet with animal-based protein are doing a terrible disservice to their children and should be charged with neglect.
Posted by rshortman 8 years ago
rshortman
I saw that episode! I felt PETA should have lost as well. I was kind of pissed that Lewis Black went after the NRA like that. I'm a gun-toting, hunting, NRA member myself and have never had a dark, crazy, conspiracy, fear-based stance on anything! Ever! Not only that, but I stay out of everyone else's business.

PETA, on the other hand, wants you to believe that eating animals or using them to test medications are violations so awful, the people committing them deserve to be assaulted, vandalized or even murdered. Nice people, huh? And I'm not crazy or making any of this up. Ingrid Newkirk herself has stated her beliefs on all of this. But somehow, Lewis Black thinks the NRA is more dangerous than PETA. There goes all my respect for him.
Posted by goldspurs 8 years ago
goldspurs
Did anyone else catch "Lewis Black's:Root of all Evil" last night? Was PETA vs NRA. Friggin hiliarious, although PETA should of lost.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Actually, all species of cat will go blind if they do not receive a steady supply of meat :D
Posted by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
What about lions? I don't think they want to try vegan lifestyle.
Vote Placed by xeberus 8 years ago
xeberus
meadow_55Sym626Tied
Vote Placed by Katie01 8 years ago
Katie01
meadow_55Sym626Tied
Vote Placed by rshortman 8 years ago
rshortman
meadow_55Sym626Tied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
meadow_55Sym626Tied
Vote Placed by CP 8 years ago
CP
meadow_55Sym626Tied
Vote Placed by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
meadow_55Sym626Tied
Vote Placed by gahbage 8 years ago
gahbage
meadow_55Sym626Tied
Vote Placed by Sym626 8 years ago
Sym626
meadow_55Sym626Tied