violence is a necessity.

First round is for acceptance.

No saying you have won the debate before the voters have decided.

No forfeiting.

Good luck!

The definition I will use for violence is: "The intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, which either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation."

This is my source:

With that out of the way, I would like to list my contentions.

Sometimes, violence needs to be used to make arrests for criminals who run away. For example, if police could not use violence to subdue drug dealers, more of them would evade arrest. This would result in more dangerous drugs being transported, and therefore more drug related deaths.

I have used the example of a drug dealer because dealing drugs is not necessarily a violent crime, and it is assumed violence does not exist in this hypothetical situation.

Worse yet, violence not being used would make a society plunge into anarchy. Allowing prisoners to break out of prison without subduing them and allowing drug dealers to get away from arrest would imply to the citizens of a society that they can break laws without any real punishment.

Let me conclude this contention by quoting Niccolo Machiavelli, a famous Italian philosopher.

"Every prince ought to desire to be considered clement and not cruel. Nevertheless he ought to take care not to misuse this clemency....Therefore a prince, so long as he keeps his subjects united and loyal, ought not to mind the reproach of cruelty; because with a few examples he will be more merciful than those who, through too much mercy, allow disorders to arise, from which follow murders or robberies; for these are wont to injure the whole people, whilst those executions which originate with a prince offend the individual only."

In other words, violence is not desired, but it is sometimes needed. (This is a part of "The Prince", by Machiavelli.)

The lack of violence would cause many to lose their jobs. With no violent crime, there wouldn't be as much need for many job positions. Unemployment is already very high in many countries, and seeing as a lack of violence would decrease opening for jobs, it would also increase unemployment. Seeing as unemployment hurts an economy, a lack of violence would be a new problem for these already struggling countries.

I know my opponent will probably say ending violence more important than a few jobs. Well, statistics show that about 16% of US. employees are USA are government workers. A good portion of these workers are police officers, in the military, or judges.

Over to you, Con. Good luck!

I had turkey for thanksgiving!

I would like to ask the voters to give me conduct points, seeing as my opponent is trolling in a a serious debate.

wolf24 forfeited this round.

I specifically said forfeiting was against the rules.

Vote pro.

wolf24 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture