Furyan5
TheChosenOne742

wavelength is not color

Furyan5

Furyan5

Pro

Color is a perception which occurs internally and is not a property of light itself.
TheChosenOne742

Con

I accept this challenge, and will argue that color is indeed a property of different wavelengths of light.
Furyan5

Pro

Thanks for accepting.

The following passage is taken from Isaac Newtons Optiks 1704.

The homogeneal light and rays which appear red, or rather make Objects appear so, I call rubrifick or red-making; those which make Objects appear yellow, green, blue, and violet, I call yellow-making, green-making, blue-making, violet-making, and so of the rest. And if at any time I speak of light and rays as coloured or endued with Colours, I would be understood to speak not philosophically and properly, but grossly, and accordingly to such conceptions as vulgar People in seeing all these Experiments would be apt to frame. For the rays to speak properly are not coloured. In them there is nothing else than a certain power and disposition to stir up a sensation of this or that Colour. For as Sound in a Bell or musical String, or other sounding Body, is nothing but a trembling Motion, and in the Air nothing but that Motion propagated from the Object, and in the Sensorium 'tis a Sense of that Motion under the form of sound; so Colours in the Object are nothing but a disposition to reflect this or that sort of rays more copiously than the rest; in the rays they are nothing but their dispositions to propagate this or that Motion into the Sensorium, and in the Sensorium they are sensations of those Motions under the forms of Colours.

http://www.newtonproject.sussex.ac.uk...

Newton clearly states that light itself is not coloured and neither is color a property of an object but that different wavelengths cause different sensations to be experienced.

The following insert from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy referencing David Hume's remark and listing the many philosophers and scientists who agree.

Not only does the scientific mainstream tradition conflict with the common-sense understanding of color in this way, but as well, the scientific tradition contains a very counter-intuitive conception of color. There is, to illustrate, the celebrated remark by David Hume:

Sounds, colors, heat and cold, according to modern philosophy are not qualities in objects, but perceptions in the mind. (Hume 1738/1911, Bk III, part I, Sect. 1, p. 177; Bk I, IV, IV, p. 216)
Physicists who have subscribed to this doctrine include the luminaries: Galileo, Boyle, Descartes, Newton, Young, Maxwell and Helmholtz. Maxwell, for example, wrote:

It seems almost a truism to say that color is a sensation; and yet Young, by honestly recognizing this elementary truth, established the first consistent theory of color. (Maxwell 1890/1970, p. 75)

http://plato.stanford.edu...

I rest here and await my opponents counter arguments.
TheChosenOne742

Con

TheChosenOne742 forfeited this round.
Furyan5

Pro

Pity. I was hoping for a challenge.
TheChosenOne742

Con

TheChosenOne742 forfeited this round.
Furyan5

Pro

I pass on this round.
TheChosenOne742

Con

TheChosenOne742 forfeited this round.
Furyan5

Pro

What a waste!
TheChosenOne742

Con

TheChosenOne742 forfeited this round.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
You don't get it. The light is not blue. We call it blue light because when light of this FAM strikes our iris it creates a sensation which we call blue. The color does not exist outside of our mind. The sky is not blue. You only perceive it to be that color.
Posted by dr_sepheroth 1 year ago
dr_sepheroth
Wave Length is the FAM rate (Frequency, Amplitude and Modulation) of a colour. All colours have an individual FAM rate, and this explains why the sky is blue and not purple.

Blue is the only wavelength that can get through the earth's atmosphere.

Other wise we would have an Aurora Borealis permanently.
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
http://i1.mirror.co.uk...

do you see a red pill or a blue pill?
Posted by Furyan5 1 year ago
Furyan5
No my argument is that light itself has no color. Light merely has wavelength and frequency which our senses interpret as color. color is a sensation that occurs in the mind and does not exist as a physical property of light.
Posted by diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid 1 year ago
diarrhea_of_a_wimpy_kid
Well it's dependent on frequency, not wavelength. But I know from the past, you're looking for a debate on "measurable" vs "perception." I won't say any more. Title should more accurately say "Frequency", unless that's what you're trying to trip up. In other words, color doesn't change when you view through air or water (which affects wavelength).
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Furyan5TheChosenOne742Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by ssadi 1 year ago
ssadi
Furyan5TheChosenOne742Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Full FF by Con, therefore conduct goes to Pro. Pro sufficiently explained that a wavelength is not a color and their arguments were not challenged by Con; therefore arguments go to Pro! Pro also used reliable sources to back up their claims and no source was provided by Con; so, source goes to Pro!