lasota
Kahvan

we need to keep the U.S postal service

Kahvan

lasota

Pro

It is my belief that we need to keep the U.S. postal service. The U.S. postal service provides many services that are valuable to todays society.

If we were to get rid of the U.S. Postal service then private companies would take up that niche in the economy. This would be bad as prices would rise in the cost to mail items. This would also be bad because then the mail would not be protected by the U.S. government.
Kahvan

Con

Firstly I would like to thank my opponent for this debate.

The U.S. postal service should be privatized. In other words we should not keep our current U.S. postal service system. I will start by refuting my opponents arguments.

1)"If we were to get rid of the U.S. Postal service then private companies would take up that niche in the economy. This would be bad as prices would rise in the cost to mail items."

I would say two things to this. The first is that the competition between companies to compete for customers would keep the price down. Second I would propose that perhaps the U.S. government could put a price limit to keep this from happening. One or both of these null the quoted point.

2)"This would also be bad because then the mail would not be protected by the U.S. government."

To this I would say that the U.S. government could still pose laws and even insure it. Although I would think that private companies could still insure the goods perhaps even better than the government because of competition.

Now I will state why the U.S. government should do away with the postal service.

The U.S. postal services is always in the red. As shown in the link at the bottom it is in the red by copious amounts of money.

By removing the U.S. postal service many companies such as Fed Ex or UPS would fill that niche in the economy. This would be extremely beneficial because then the U.S. government could spend the money that it is spending on the U.S. postal service on other more valuable or more needing programs or projects. Doing this would also increase the quality of the postal system. Why would the quality go up? Competition.

Competition to fill the niche that closing the U.S. postal system would open will have many great effects. Companies would start competing to keep the postage safer. Keep it in better quality. Provide better service. Give better prices. Provide more benefits. All this and many more things would come if we rid ourselves of this carcass of a postal system.

http://www.usps.com...
lasota

Pro

My opponents argument seems to be centereed around privitizing the U.S. postal service. This would be disatrous and would not work. This would not work for many reasons.

"I would say two things to this. The first is that the competition between companies to compete for customers would keep the price down. Second I would propose that perhaps the U.S. government could put a price limit to keep this from happening. One or both of these null the quoted point."

This would not happen. The buisnesses would problably agree on a price that is higher than the one we currently have then they would keep it in that general area. Another reason that the price would go up is that the buisness would need to make a proft.

"To this I would say that the U.S. government could still pose laws and even insure it. Although I would think that private companies could still insure the goods perhaps even better than the government because of competition."

This is absolutly bogus. Rather than the quality of the U.S. postal service that we currently have, if privitized the quality would go down for a number of reasons.

1)the buisnessees would have to cover costs by cutting down on quality.
2)the system would not be held up by government spending.

Now, my opponent has pointed out how the U.S. poistal service consumes more money than it returns. This is true. But it also provides a quality that would not be had if this whole thing where privitized.

Also, what would happen to all the current U.S. postal employees? They would be fired which would add to an already troubled economy. What would happen to the buildings and the trucks and the tools? They would rot away into nothing. The moeny we already put into them would be wasted.

I will offer a final reason as to why we should keep the U.S. postal service. Interaction with other countries. Our postal service official delivers and recieves mail from other countries. The postal service is so entertwined with our interactions with other countries that to privitize it would be repugnant because it would require foriwghn countires to use a privite buisness rather than government buisness.

In conclusion. The U.S. postal service should nto be shut down. It should still stand as an effieiecnt system and as a service to the people of the United States of America.
Kahvan

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for this great debate.

"This would not happen. The buisnesses would problably agree on a price that is higher than the one we currently have then they would keep it in that general area. Another reason that the price would go up is that the buisness would need to make a proft." (business and profit are spelled wrong)

The buisnesses would not want to raises prices because they would loose customers to the internet. The electronical part of communication is already growing exponentially. My opponent has also failed to recognize my proposal that perhaps the government put a price cap on it so that we wouldn't be charged an insane amount to send a letter.

"This is absolutly bogus. Rather than the quality of the U.S. postal service that we currently have, if privitized the quality would go down for a number of reasons.

2)the system would not be held up by government spending."
(buisnessees?)

I think that my opponent absolutely fails to realize what competition does. If the quality went down the (once again) the companies would lose customers to electronics. This would result in even a greater loss of money if they even lose money, and on the reverse of this if they had a better quality they could charge alittle more and nobody would care because the quality would increase.

"Also, what would happen to all the current U.S. postal employees? They would be fired which would add to an already troubled economy. What would happen to the buildings and the trucks and the tools? They would rot away into nothing. The moeny we already put into them would be wasted."

This is a very easy fix. Auction off the goods and work ot a deal to transfer the employees.

"I will offer a final reason as to why we should keep the U.S. postal service. Interaction with other countries. Our postal service official delivers and recieves mail from other countries. The postal service is so entertwined with our interactions with other countries that to privitize it would be repugnant because it would require foriwghn countires to use a privite buisness rather than government buisness."

The actual mail the the U.S. government would send would still be official. I doubt another county would care who delivers it as long as it gets delivered appropriately.

In conclusion the U.S. postal service should be sold because it would have many benefits. It would save the U.S. government money. Actually if the U.S. government taxed it alittle it in money from that industry. Also it would increase the quality of the mail service as well as help to further stimulate a wounded economy.
Posted by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
edit *he/she is what I meant to type.
Posted by Kahvan 7 years ago
Kahvan
Pro is a she. My sister. (for the record)
Posted by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
Conduct: Tie
Spell/Gram: Con, Pro misspelled "business" and "privatize" in round 2.
Arguments: Con, It did not seem like Pro knew much about the topic that he was debating to me.
Sources: Con
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
lasotaKahvanTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
lasotaKahvanTied
Vote Placed by Grape 7 years ago
Grape
lasotaKahvanTied
Vote Placed by True2GaGa 7 years ago
True2GaGa
lasotaKahvanTied