we should ban beauty contests

Started: 10/22/2015 Category: Fashion

1. respect
2. provide links and sources
3. have fun
4. Breaking any rule results in forfeit of all points to me

R1: acceptance
R2: opening statements
R3: ask questions
R4: answer questions
R5: closing statements

Challenge Accepted! :-)

intro: To be a champion, I think you have to see the big picture. It's not about winning and losing; it's about every day hard work and about thriving on a challenge. It's about embracing the pain that you'll experience at the end of a race and not being afraid. I think people think too hard and get afraid of a certain challenge.
Summer Sanders

1. "Dieting, teeth whitening, waxing these are just a few of the procedures that women put themselves through in an attempt to live up to society's impossible standards of beauty. Now more than ever, we are bombarded with images from movies, television, and magazines telling us what is "beautiful" or "attractive." It is an obsession, and a dangerous one at that. Women across the world are harming themselves in the name of beauty. Flip through any fashion magazine, and I can guarantee that it will show living skeletons modeling clothes. Women are being brainwashed into thinking that anything bigger than a size zero means that they are fat. Because of this, women are going to unhealthy extremes to achieve the "perfect body." Americans are spending millions of dollars annually on diet pills, the side effects of which include heart attack, seizure, and even death. Additionally, it is estimated that seven million American women suffer from an eating disorder. Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Talk about "dying to look beautiful."

2. How we are always judged. "Like it or not, you are being judged by how you look, how you dress, and how you carry yourself"and, if you"re lucky, how you do your job.

I had lunch yesterday with an old friend. I"ve known him for over 30 years. In fact, he introduced me to my wife. Unfortunately, we don"t see each other very often and hadn"t sat down across the table from each other for several years.

Let me preface what I"m about to say with, "I"m comfortable with my jeans and sneakers." Dave is a corporate attorney. He entered the restaurant immaculately dressed, although he wasn"t wearing a tie. I was dressed as I usually am (I did wear what I thought was a nice button-up shirt"it was even tucked in). Dave hasn"t changed much since we knew each other in our early twenties, while I am decidedly more rotund, sporting gray hair and a nearly white beard. He could pass for 10 years younger than me, although he"s actually a couple of years my senior (it must be all the time he wastes at the gym). As we left the restaurant together I made an off-handed comment about how I appreciated that he got "all dressed up" to have lunch with me. He didn"t miss a beat, "I guess I just take our friendship more seriously than you do.""

3. What the effects are.
"Beauty Pageants and Children: It"s Not Always Pretty
November 15, 2012 " Contributed by Zawn Villines
44 0 2 0 2 0
Rhinestone tiaraTwo weeks removed from a Halloween that inspired thousands of people to dress as reality television"s Honey Boo Boo, child beauty pageants have again entered the national consciousness. From small festival- and fair-based competitions to elaborate, expensive, national endeavors, child beauty pageants are a $5 billion industry. Parents who enroll their children in such pageants fiercely defend them as the child"s choice, and many participants"particularly on pageant-centered shows such as TLC"s Toddlers & Tiaras"seem thrilled to be involved. But what effects do beauty pageants have on children and their impressionable minds?

Find a Therapist

Enter ZIP or City
Advanced Search
Why Children Enter Beauty Pageants

Children are the masters of fantastical ideas, so it"s no wonder that many girls involved in the pageant circuits relish spending a few days a year as Cinderella. But children can"t enter pageants without their parents" blessing, so involvement ultimately hinges on parental choice rather than the child"s. In a new paper published in the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, University of Arizona professor Martina M. Cartwright emphasizes this point. She calls the phenomenon "princess by proxy," explaining that the real attraction of pageants is for parents who can gain social status, self-esteem, and money when their children participate.

Potential Effects of Beauty Pageants: Eating Disorders and Body-Image Distortion

Pageants, particularly those designed for younger children, focus primarily on appearance, attire, and perceived "cuteness." Talent competitions occur in some pageants and often are a secondary component of the experience. Thus, pageants suggest to young children that there is value in focusing on their appearance as judged through the eyes of others. This can lead to significant body-image distortions, and adults who once participated in child beauty pageants may experience low self-esteem and poor body image.

As with most adult pageants, child pageants often require crash dieting. Parents may encourage children to quickly lose weight so they can fit into small costumes or display tiny bodies in swimsuit-centered fitness competitions. Some parents put their kids on crash diets designed to help them gain energy and enthusiasm. These diets may consist solely of sugary snacks and sports drinks for several days. This can harm both short- and long-term health and teaches children unhealthy approaches to food that can contribute to the development of eating disorders.

Beauty Pageants and the Sexualization of Young Girls

Sexualization is the tendency to view oneself as a sex object, and children who participate in beauty pageants are sexualized very early. Children may dress in highly suggestive costumes and learn that they gain attention and status when sexualized. This may lead to premature sexual activity and can teach the unfortunate lesson that women"s worth is determined at least in part by their status as sex objects.

The Unhealthy Values Built by Beauty Contests

While some pageants are brief events that require little preparation, the world of pageants can be cutthroat and extremely competitive. Children learn a host of unhealthy values, including the desire to defeat their competition at all costs. Tantrums and meltdowns"by children and parents alike"are common backstage at beauty pageants, and long-term participation in pageants can teach children that their primary source of worth is how many pageants they win and how "beautiful" they are perceived to be. Academic achievement, empathy, social skills, athletic pursuits, and other age-appropriate activities may take a backseat in the world of pageants. And because precious few pageant participants grow up to become models or entertainers, this early experience can stunt their development by focusing their attention on something they are unlikely to be able to do as adults."

Conclusion. Side with me and ban beauty contest!

mayahcw forfeited this round.

is you dead?
Are you still debating?
Is anyone going to vote for me?

Yes, I do intend on finishing this debate. I was having a bit of Internet problems yesterday and was having trouble posting my argument. My apologies, Pro. I ask any judges to please not hold the previous round against me. Thank you.

Beauty pageants and contests have garnered quite a bit of negative attention in recent years. They are seen as a source of pride, hightened egos, and unhealthy amounts of self consciousness. But are they really that bad?

Many beauty pageants focus on far more than just a woman's, man's, or child's physical beauty. Some of the most famous pageants, like Miss America, Miss World, and Miss Universe, focus on far more than just physical beauty. These particular pageants require their contestants to have a voice and opinion in politics, to be skilled in various talents, and to be good at public speaking. Beauty is not everything, even when you're Miss Universe.

"...the Miss America program exists to provide personal and professional opportunities for young women and to promote their voices in culture, politics and the community."[1]

"The Miss World contestants (with the help of their Miss World National Organisations) have set up Beauty with a Purpose projects in more than 100 countries. This gives tens of thousands of young women every year, the opportunity to use their abilities to make a real and lasting contribution to the lives of the sick and disadvantaged."[2]

"I credit much of my quick thinking and ability to express myself to pageants."[3]

Beauty pageants involve more than just 'good looks'. Self-confidence, public speaking skills, and community service are all major parts of these contests.

Now, it is true that people have died trying to make themselves 'pretty enough' for a beauty competition or by trying to meet beauty standards. But is it logical to ban something simply because a few people took a little contest too far? Contestants are not required to engage in any dangerous practices. If a contestant in a beauty pageant decides to go on an extreme diet in order to appear thinner, is it the fault of the beauty pageant, or the fault of the contestant? In the case of children's pageants, we are often given a distorted view of what they are really like. Not all children are forced to engage in pageants, and not all children loathe them. Academic and social skills are often part of these contests.

Conclusion: Beauty contests can be quite positive, and thus should not be banned.

[3] Sabrina Nooruddin, University of Georgia,

yes. Beauty pageants are really that bad.

How can we say that "Beauty pageants are really that bad."? Beauty pageants are not bad just because people have taken them to the extreme. A beauty pageant is not necessarily a bad thing. When a contestant enters a beauty pageant and approaches it with a healthy attitude, they can have very promising results.

Let's take a moment and really consider this:
The majority of beauty pageants in general do not require their contestants to do anything harmful or dangerous.
Most beauty pageants judge on more than just appearance. Creativity, community service, character, attitude, and sometimes even grades are all a part of the selection process.
Many national and international pageants focus a large part of their earnings on scholarships, community service, donations to charity, and improving self-worth.

How can this at all be deemed as "bad"? It is really fair to claim that beauty pageants should be banned because of a few unwise parents who put their children on unhealthy diets? Can we ban beauty pageants because some men and women walk away with a scarred ego?

We should all think about the benefits of beauty pageants as well:
Learning to be confident in who you are.
Gaining skills in interviewing and public speaking.
Having a platform to raise awareness to certain issues (especially in national and international beauty pageants)
Having the opportunity to display their talent (many pageants require their contestants to display some form of talent, such as dancing, singing, drawing, etc.)
Raising money for an important cause (many contestants spend much of their time in raising money for various charities)

If a contestant approaches a beauty pageants with a healthy view, they need not worry about any of the so-called negative effects of competing.

Ladies and gentlemen, beauty pageants should not be banned.

I was the only one who followed the rules and round settings. Therefore opponent has forfeited all points to me. We must ban beauty contests to protect the contestants. They are bad and it hurts the contestants physically and mentally. Please side with me.

I fail to understand how I have suddenly broken the rules. If you are reffering to me being unable to post my argument and forfeiting round 2, that was never stated in the rules. I was respectful, I provided links and sources, and I definitely had fun!

Please side with me!
Thank you,