hornet5656
fitter27

we should have cell phones in school

hornet5656

Con

if we had cell phones in school then we could get research done faster and we wouldn't have to log onto our computers, so yeah I think we should have cell phones at school
fitter27

Pro

This argument will be the opposite way round, as you are in fact for the usage of cell phones (mobile phones to readers from the UK - I will be using this term as I am British) in schools, and I am arguing against it.

I would like to begin my argument by first agreeing with your statement. Yes, modern day mobile phones have increasingly faster networking programs coded into them, and recently 4G was introduced and announced as the "fastest mobile internet yet", and I do agree that they are faster than some computers. My own mobile phone is often faster at browsing the internet than my desktop computer.

However, slow internet could be a result of many factors - old computers and old internet connections could be the causes behind slow internet. Also, even if each computer is brand new, and the internet that each computer has connected to is fairly new, extensive usage could be a problem. That is, if many users are on the same connection at the same time. It slows the connection down substantially.

Having said that, one of the reasons mobile phones aren't allowed in schools is because of distraction. Consider this question - if you, and a class full of other students, were researching on your mobile phones, how long would it take for one person to get distracted, and then eventually everyone? It'd be a chain reaction, from one person seeing something on their phone, showing another person, and then they'd show someone else and so on. This could easily happen without the teacher having any idea whatsoever. The reason this would be different on a computer is that it is much harder for a student to hide what they're doing. Many schools have tracking programs installed on all of the computers within their establishment, which is fair seeing as it is the school that owns said computers, and therefore they have the right to do what they feel is required with them, making it easy for teachers and staff to access what students are seeing and doing while using the school computers. It is virtually impossible, and a breach of private life, for teachers to place trackers into an individual's mobile phone as it is entirely the student's possession, and is legally out of reach of the teacher. I believe this to be the main purpose that teachers require their students to use computers already in place at their school.

I now encourage you to present your argument against my above statement. Thank you.
hornet5656

Con

hornet5656 forfeited this round.
fitter27

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this round, and therefore I will take this as a win in this particular round.
hornet5656

Con

hornet5656 forfeited this round.
fitter27

Pro

fitter27 forfeited this round.