subhapriya
DoctorFight

what cannot be cured must be endured

subhapriya

Con

I do not agree with this philosophy that "what cannot be cured must be endured."I beleive in fighting up for one's life so that others don't take you for granted.

So all the best to my opponent.
DoctorFight

Pro

I disagree with your statement of the basis that implies that the fight should be continued for wholly performative means, i.e. so that others won't look down on you, which, quite frankly, asserts that the person in the position has already conceded that what was unable to be "cured" is merely being "endured".

> A cannot resolve B, A must suffer B, and A has sufficiently knowledge to those ends.
> A pretends to try to resolve B to save face for C.
> No matter what face A may save, A has already conceded that B is irresolvable, and is thus still merely enduring it.

The presence of C is irrelevant. The axiom stands.

Q.E.D.
subhapriya

Con

Let us rewind the time a bit, say some thousand years ago. What we find is that some cavemen hunting in the forest trying to gather food and fighting with nature for their survival. Now we come to our present time. We find human beings producing their own food and even making changes in the nature’s laws for their convenience. What made it all possible? Simple, it is the fact that it is not in human nature to endure difficulties but fight it. I shall start my argument by giving some examples.

First: Let us consider the condition of women in our country .For many decades the women have been suppressed and have been denied of their various rights. It was taught to the girls to endure pain and be suppressed. But is it right for us to take the blame for everything and be ignored? No we are not going to sacrifice any more or endure any longer. Now it is our time to fight back because we don’t want to be taken for granted

Second: When we fail in an examination do we sit back enduring the pain accepting our fate? No we don’t do that .We start studying vigorously to prove ourselves to the world.

Third: A person may have an incurable disease but that does not mean he has to endure the pain of it lifelong .He maybe medically ill but he can still lead a quality life by making people around him happy. Cure does not always mean total eradication of the disease. The way one lives his life is his definition of cure.

So from these examples it becomes clear that it needs more effort to cure or solve a problem rather than enduring it. Many weak people find it easier to endure a problem because they don’t want to face the consequences of their action. But this is a mentality of an escapist. So if one wants to be an escapist he can follow this philosophy and blame his fate for his terrible life. But if one wants to be free then he should have the courage to challenge the unchallengeable and cure it . In this path we shall face many ups and downs but at the end of the day we shall emerge as an ideal person and be respected by the society. Someone great had once said that every dream comes with a price tag and the price we have to pay is to say “ NO” to our period of enduring pain and come out of our shell as a better and brighter person to face the world.

DoctorFight

Pro

In any of the cases above, whether or not the affliction could be "cured" was indeterminate. The original argument was not "I believe that anything can be overcome with human ingenuity, and thus nothing cannot be cured, making the aphorism functionally irrelevant", it was "I do not agree that what cannot be cured must be endured, because I believe in fighting up for one's life so that others don't take you for granted". So, in this scenario, we're supposing that whatever the thing is, it is both determinate and knowable that it cannot be fixed.

You have one argument to those ends:

"Third: A person may have an incurable disease but that does not mean he has to endure the pain of it lifelong .He maybe medically ill but he can still lead a quality life by making people around him happy. Cure does not always mean total eradication of the disease. The way one lives his life is his definition of cure."

Right, but he's not actually cured of the illness. We're now moving the goal posts: the fact of the matter is still that he is incurably ill, there's nothing he can do about it, and, in this scenario, he's not even pretending to do anything about it. So he's accepted his illness, and is enduring it, "quality life" or no.
subhapriya

Con

I appreciate the arguments of my opponent .

What I wanted to say is that enduring pain makes a person weak and he should fight for it so that he is not taken for granted.

As I had earlier said that curing does not mean total eradication of the disease but leading a quality life. It does not matter whether he is actually cured of the disease or not. It depends on his mentality to fight it in his own way.

So I defended my arguments but as my opponent has not posted any argument of his own I have nothing new to write.

DoctorFight

Pro

I believe that my opponent's entire argument rests on a Texas Sharpshooter fallacy with moving of the goal posts.

My argument from the previous round stands.