gizmo4me
Kryptic

what is Poverty

Kryptic

gizmo4me

Con

What is poverty ?
Kryptic

Pro

I am answering a question 'What is Poverty'. I am taking the (pro) for side, however since there is no definitive side to take, it appears my only role is to answer his question.

Poverty.
Noun -
1. the state of being extremely poor.
2. the state of being inferior in quality or insufficient in amount.
3. the state or condition of having little or no money, goods, or means of support; condition of being poor.
4. deficiency of necessary or desirable ingredients, qualities, etc.
5. scantiness; insufficiency

Poverty, destitution, need, want imply a state of privation and lack of necessities. Poverty denotes serious lack of the means for proper existence: living in a state of extreme poverty. Destitution, a somewhat more literary word, implies a state of having absolutely none of the necessities of life: widespread destitution in countries at war. Need emphasizes the fact that help or relief is necessary: Most of the people were in great need. Want emphasizes privations, especially lack of food and clothing: Families were suffering from want.

In pure economic terms, income poverty is when a family's income fails to meet a federally established threshold that differs across countries. Typically it is measured with respect to families and not the individual, and is adjusted for the number of persons in a family. Economists often seek to identify the families whose economic position (defined as command over resources) falls below some minimally acceptance level.1 Similarly, the international standard of extreme poverty is set to the possession of less than 1$ a day.

References:
http://dictionary.reference.com...
https://www.google.com.au...
http://www.unesco.org...

With this, I hope I have answered your question, if you have anything else that needs to be addressed, please tell me :)
gizmo4me

Con

How do you end up in Poverty where there are lots of ways to make your situation better, but people can not see they have to change there way they live
Kryptic

Pro

This is more of an opinion gathered from just being aware. But since you're asking me, I won't use sites.
It seems like people, after a while... kind of give up, they no longer try and seize the world and make it theirs. Instead they try and get through the next day, usually this is not the best investment to do. I know many people who were borderline homeless, however they maxed out credit cards on good investments and, well, the rest is history.

Another situation would be opportunity. I am a 19 year old white male who has dark hair and is around 6ft tall, I am also fairly fit looking. Unfortunately in society, this appearance while being educated is the most opportune combination you could be. I have never gone without a meal, never gone without a bed, never gone without clothes or a shower. I have always been supported by everyone who sees me, always being encouraged. People always saying (through my depression) that I have a lot of potential etc. Whether they're just being nice or being honest, I have always had everything I could have ever asked for.

On the other hand, I look at some of my best friends and they don't have this luxury of even walking down the street and being thought as a part of society, even though this idea is more of a racial profiling, the difference with opportunity stays the same through out the world.

After we go through these two situations, if we look at the poverty in 3rd world countries, we will know that there is just SO many people in the same situation. The first thing I mentioned is that they don't pursue the world, but they pursue getting through the night.
The Europeans were so successful in advancements in technology due to always being in wars, they had no option but to pursue knowledge and technology.

When you have a culture of despair and death, with no reason to actually learn things (it sounds harsh, but look at it on a historical perspective), you end up with poverty.
The good thing is, they are slowly becoming educated more and more every year. It's actually one of my passions to go and help them too :)

I hope that helps, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask
gizmo4me

Con

Yes giving up is an easy way out, no backbone no moral no input just plain laziness, they become a burden on the people that like to live a normal life.
Working does help depression you forget to feel sorry for your self, and get on whit your life would you call that opportunity or just using that for not getting up in the morning.
I did not look at the 3rd World that's not where I am coming from, they just live and produce more hardship for them self, they don't know better.
Culture got some plaime for they Poverty not all,
And that's where its fundamentally wrong in many places s that have not experienced a war, it makes people into better people more responsible more dedicated.
Kryptic

Pro

'Working does help depression you forget to feel sorry for your self, and get on whit your life would you call that opportunity or just using that for not getting up in the morning.'
It does help depression, however when you're so deep in depression, you actually need help, the chemicals in your brain are so off balance that death and dying is a successful alternative in your head. I've been through it as many others have.

However another option for this is oppression, in prison or slavery, when you're ordered to do things, you lose that free will. a lot of prisoners kill themselves because they don't know the true luxury of freedom.

As for opportunity, as I stated with my success in life due to my ancestors colour. An African American or Aboriginal Australian will get less opportunity then me due to social ignorance, they assume because there is a large population of uneducated dark skinned people as well as a large percentage of criminals and hoodrats / thugs / gang members, that all of them will be.
This gives them a worse opportunity than me in first impressions.

'I did not look at the 3rd World that's not where I am coming from, they just live and produce more hardship for them self, they don't know better.'

the way I am reading your responses to horrible situations in life makes me feel like you have an intolerance towards their hardship :/ it's not fair for them that they got put in a situation that they did.
Just like it was only chance and luck that I was born into where I am. now obviously my parents were going to give birth to a Caucasian child but it didn't have to be me.

If these people went through wars and had no choice but to learn and grow then they would be in the same spot we are. But the thing is with them is that we are the ones that went in and forced them to change their ways. Now the new generation is paying for that.

'And that's where its fundamentally wrong in many places s that have not experienced a war, it makes people into better people more responsible more dedicated.'

It 'CAN'. look at the middle east, for the last 30 years there has been wars. look at china and Mongolia, look at Persia. The real people who made war advantageous was the people who used the scientific method.
Math started in the middle east and was brought over to rome and Greece as well as a lot of other Europeans parts later on.
We have only really had technology for the last 300 years... that's a splinter compared to how long people have been around.

Overall, greed is a killer, pursuing knowledge breeds liberalism and awareness.
Posted by Kryptic 1 year ago
Kryptic
i answered some questions i guess
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
Wait, so was this really a debate, or a Q&A?
Posted by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
Wow
Vote Placed by Wylted 1 year ago
Wylted
gizmo4meKrypticTied
Reasons for voting decision: This wasn't even a debate, so I can't award arguments, but pro was the only one to use sources, so he gets points for that.