LeastCommonDenominator
Atmas

what is the best/most useful armor in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Atmas
Started: 12/12/2014 Category: Games

LeastCommonDenominator

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance Round 2-4: Debating. I will be away for the weekend. Happy Debating!
Atmas

Con

LeastCommonDenominator

Pro

I propose that Elven armor(or armour) is the best. (I cannot have a more detailed argument due to my phone being slow) It has excellent use, as it provides more armour than dwarven,you can get it pretty early in the game. (Level 16-ish) I wait for your argument.
Atmas

Con

I thank my opponent for introducing a debate about an Elder Scrolls game, always fun.

I have to point out that Elven Armor doesn't actually have better Armor Rating than Dwarven when considering their base. The Armor Skill of the player can make Elven stronger, but at level 15 Armor Skills and level 100 Armor Skills, the Dwarven armor will come out on top.

My argument will be for Orcish Armor, however. Orcish is better than Dwarven, Lighter than Steel Plate and Dwarven (two lower level heavy armors) and you can get a full set at level 1 by going to Largashbur, hoping the mountain to jump into the city, and stealing the Armor from the shrine.

There are other pieces of armor you can get at level 1, like an ebony shield for instance, but I'm assuming you mean full sets of armor and not it's parts.

When it comes to Heavy Armor at level one, a full set of Orcish armor will last quite some time. The looks of the armor is subjective as some might find the crudeness to be ugly and inelegant, while others will enjoy the rugged feel of looking like an Orc Knight.
LeastCommonDenominator

Pro

I see that my Elven armor protection was off, thank you for correcting me, but Elven armor also has the bonus of keeping your speed, which is helpful in any fight. Elven also has the elegant look of the Elves themselves, which many people would like.
Atmas

Con

Since we are talking full Skyrim here, the fact that elven armor is the armor of the Thalmor could have an impact on the appearance of the armor, but I do agree that elven does look very elegant, if abit thin.

Orcish armor is easily superior to Elven in terms of damage reduction and the speed decrease really doesn't matter when it comes to melee combat in an Elder Scrolls game. Your character already moves at low speed as it is (unless you're sprinting, but then you're not in melee range) and another decrease isn't going to really affect your ability to fight all that much, especially since you can turn your character 360 degrees very quickly. While it's true it is better to avoid damage than block it, in Skyrim you will only have the chance to dodge an opponents melee strike when they attempt a power attack, otherwise their swing speed (provided they are wielding a one handed weapon) will outpace even a naked character. Or, in other words, you're going to get hit if you're in melee range, so it's better to mitigate damage than rely on lucky dodging.

Wearing armor while using a ranged weapon is basically pointless as the entire goal is to 'not' be in melee range, but even if a ranger happens to find themselves getting sliced up, Orcish armor will more likely save them than Elven. I will admit that Elven allows one to kite the enemy better when wielding a bow, but most enemies are faster running forward than the player is running backward, so the advantage lighter armor has in that scenario matters little once the enemy has caught up.

The best gameplay use of Orcish armor compared to Elven are the unpredictable moments when your character is being attacked suddenly. Skyrim has lots of these encounters (Sabre Cats, wolf packs, Assassin strikes, Hired Thugs etc) and these encounters are meant to take you by surprise. A "feature" of these surprise encounters is that they are meants to overwhelm and deal a high amount of damage to the player before they've had a chance to raise their guard. Every player of Skyrim knows what it's like to wander the open lands of Whiterun Hold only to hear a growl and see your character lose a significant portion of their health suddenly, A SABRE CAT! Or walk up a hill just to see a group of Thugs gunning for you at breakneck speed.
LeastCommonDenominator

Pro

Many players also know that when they get to the level to obtain the armor, they have enough power to efficiently one-shot any low level bandit or wildlife, except a giant or mammoth, and their armor can protect them.

Also, Elven has the finesse, plus it also has protection, though not as much as heavy armor. Also, the mobility allows you to escape battles, if necessary.
Atmas

Con

True, I will give you that Elven armor, being the lightest armor, offers the best mobility of all the armor in the game (except for robes and such). It looks elegant yet still provides a good armor to weight ratio, however.

Most of Skyrim's content is experienced with combat, and when whether we're talking about lower levels or upper levels, Orcish will simply come out on top during the actual fight. Sure it doesn't have the looks of Elven and it is certainly heavier, but the fact that one of your requirements for armor is accessibility at lower levels, and you can get a full set of orcish at level one, makes Orcish the best armor for combat starting from level one until Ebony armor starts showing up.

I thank my opponent again for this interesting debate.
Posted by LeastCommonDenominator 2 years ago
LeastCommonDenominator
Thanks for debating. May the best man(or woman) win!
LeastCommonDenominator
Let me reiterate, keeping my speed as in, doesn't slow me down.
LeastCommonDenominator
Also, ALL clothes. Rags, robes, armor, etc.
LeastCommonDenominator
Okay, we are determining best by ccessability(How early you can get it), base stats(no enchantments/smithing) and how, well, how awesome it is. Or looks.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Don't know why that posted twice.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Well in pure attribute terms, Deadric is obviously the best with Muffle enchant and the steed stone, but my vote will be for the Ebony Mail, if we're not counting self enchanted armor. Ebony Mail can easily reach the armor cap, has muffle enchant for sneaking, a constant poison aura for combat, and has the best weight to AR ratio. You can't really go wrong with it as it helps each class, plus it looks awesome. I do wonder if my opponent means armor as in light and heavy or also robes? There's some ambiguity I'm hoping they will resolve when they get back.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
Posted by OfTheHookDebaiting 2 years ago
OfTheHookDebaiting
This is technically impossible to determine without underlying reasoning. Given the sheer diversity of the Elder Scrolls series, this argument is determined on what the player's desires are. If you prefer to sneak around, wearing daedric armor may not be the best option. If you want to be a tank that kills a Bandit Chief by looking at him hard enough, you might not want to wear glass. Though sufficiently defensible, and many players would agree this could serve well with this desire, others would disagree. In a nutshell, this question serves on a case-by-case basis.
Posted by Atmas 2 years ago
Atmas
No worries, any topic about the elder scrolls is interesting to me.
Posted by levimeyers2016 2 years ago
levimeyers2016
Just thought id say, good luck to you both. (By the way, im the guy who took the other argument, sorry bout that)
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
LeastCommonDenominatorAtmasTied
Reasons for voting decision: More effort needed from Pro. Many of Con's premises weren't attacked and pro really had no counter for rebuttals concerning the mitigation of his armor's strengths