lexian
WithoutMercy

what it offers for sale is determined not by the seller but by the buyer?

Started: 3/15/2013 Category: Economics

lexian

Con

WithoutMercy

Pro

I accept the argument, as you are con, that means that you are arguing that what is for sale is determined by the seller, and I will be arguing, as pro, that what is for sale is determined by the buyer.

I will leave it up to you to begin the debate.

And as you haven't outlined any rules, it will be the usual stuff: no swearing, or inappropriate language, please respect the oppositions views etc.
lexian

Con

The point I would like to highlight is that do consumers really know what they want? Often, seller will have to identify the desire of consumers in order to provide appropriate products/services to target market. For example, before motorcar invented, consumer would expect a faster horse from seller as a transportation tool, in other words, consumer would demand a greater service/product from seller rather than innovation, because consumers are lack of foresight to oversee what they want and desire. Another phenomenon to support my argument is that, could anyone anticipate what kind of products/services will be innovated for the next few decades? Seller will be the one to innovate the product/service that will fulfill customer unprecedented needs and wants!!
WithoutMercy

Pro

Most buyers do know what they want. When they go to the shops, they have a list of items they want, yes they buy things that aren't on their list, but they have a very good idea of what they want. When a buyer goes to an electrical store, they go there with an idea in their head of what they want, a computer or whatever, they might not know what brand, but they don't go to that store thinking, "oh, I might just duck down to the store and see if anything takes my fancy."

And yes, no one can anticipate what products will be innovated in the next few decades, but take the Apple chain for example. When they do get a new I-pod, the customer dictates whether or not the older models continue to be sold. If consumers continue to buy the 4th generation I-phone, they will keep it on the shelves longer than if no-one was buy the 4th gen I-pod.

Sellers get more stock according to what buyers buy. If customers seem to want a lot of red high-heeled shoes, then the owner of the store will order in more red high-heeled shoes. If these shoes don't sell, than the seller won't get any more stock of them. It is as simple as that. The seller wants to sell what the buyers want to buy. If the seller puts purple shoes on the rack, and there are red ones as well, it is up to the buyer to choose which one they buy, and therefore which one is for sale in the future.
lexian

Con

lexian forfeited this round.
WithoutMercy

Pro

My opponent forfeited the last round, so I'm not going to waste time posting another argument now if they might have disappeared. If they do come back though, I am willing to continue the debate.
lexian

Con

lexian forfeited this round.
WithoutMercy

Pro

Ok, my opponent has forfeited again, so, I'm not going to bother posting an argument.
lexian

Con

lexian forfeited this round.
WithoutMercy

Pro

WithoutMercy forfeited this round.