weather
Brewmaster

when all else fails one should use ducK tape

Brewmaster

weather

Pro

DucK tape can fix anything. need more be said? want examples? If use correctly it can remove warts, cure cancer and fix your leaky pipe.
Brewmaster

Con

An interesting topic to be sure, and I applaud you for your directness. Although I personally have a great love of duct tape, I could not help but notice the potential for seriously misleading arguments being posted here. Reading your first round statements, I seem to be just in time!

Before we begin it seems pertinent to clarify what my colleague means by Duck Tape. It is a fact that there is no kind of "tape" produced by ducks, except perhaps tape worms. What I believe we are talking about here is Duct Tape, a silvery-gray kind of adhesive tape renowned for is versatility, durability, and ease of use. Since he did not clarify, I will assume then that what my opponent meant to say was Duck brand Duct Tape. (1)

Now that we're all on the same page, it's time to address the fundamental flaw in the statement "Duct Tape can fix everything." My opponent is approximately 50% correct in this argument. Duct tape is used entirely to secure items from moving any further, but can do nothing to assist the movement of mechanical pieces that refuse to do so. An easy illustration is the relatively well known joke of "If it moves and it isn't supposed to, use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it is supposed to, use WD-40."

Therefore, while duct tape certainly is a powerful tool in the arsenal of any handyman (or handywoman, for that matter), it's ability is focused in mainly one direction.

Oh, and just so I get the lamest joke in early, here's an old favorite: "Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the universe together." Thank you, thank you.

Vote Obama.

1: http://duckproducts.com...
weather

Pro

I'm gonna stick to my guns in this one.
No Mr Brew, I know what i'm talking about. DucK tape is a tape that looks like ducT tape but is not tested to withstand 109 dagrees Farenhight. Duck tape company holds the record for the largest roll of tape ever. I have a roll of ducK tape in my cabnet.

"Is it Duct or Duck? We don't want you to be confused, so we will explain. The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as "duck" tape (like water off a duck's back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless."- ducktape brothers

If somthing dosen't move and it is supposed to you can use duck tape, Just wrap the componets with ducktape and spit on it and the smoth surfaces will work allow it to move no need for oil.

The only known thing that ducktape can't fix is a broken heart, i know from expirence.

there has been books wrighten on the uses of ducktape, for hurrican preparness, just make a x and you window won't be in 12,345,678,987,654,321 pieces.

you may find these aiding my argument
http://www.ducttapeguys.com...
http://www.ducttapeguys.com...
Brewmaster

Con

I would just like to state again, I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Duck Tape (duct tape). My con stance has nothing to do with my love of said product, but is rather to reaffirm the very real FIXATIVE properties of duck tape, and dispel your argument of duck tape as a cure-all.

Unfortunately, you really haven't made much of an argument. The purpose of this discussion however is to explore the practical limits of just how much of "everything" duck tape can actually fix. In that regard, you have thus far proven to be a duck out of water so to speak: clumsy, awkward, and flatfooted. Also, your tail feathers look silly. But I digress...

While the history lesson on Duck Tape was certainly interesting and informative, it didn't really bring any new conclusions to the table. Your only real argument was "If somthing dosen't move and it is supposed to you can use duck tape, Just wrap the componets with ducktape and spit on it and the smoth surfaces will work allow it to move no need for oil." Although I admire your enthusiasm, this would simply not work to fix something like, for example, a rusty door hinge.

Or perhaps a better example would be this: Say you have an unwelcome houseguest who simply won't get up off your couch and leave. Wrapping them in Duck Tape, then spitting on them would not get them to move in the desired way, or to move at all if you had properly applied the Duck Tape. However, if you sprayed them in the face with WD-40, I should think that they would move very quickly in the preferred direction of the nearest exit.

In conclusion, Duck Tape has a broad but finite amount of uses. Attempting to use Duck Tape outside of these roles is brutish and abusive to the true nature of Duck Tape. Because if there's one thing that's true about Duck Tape, it's that it's wicked classy. (1)

1: http://www.ductapeinnovations.com...
weather

Pro

Uh.. what side are you arguing on? I can't find your argument either, I have proved that duck tape was use for tons of random stuff in the war. With that history lesson, it proves that they had a problem and fixed it with duck tape. and as the topic says "when all else fails one should use ducK tape" if something doesn't work the first time for fixing something (example: bubblegum or scotch tape) use duck tape.

Than you for accepting, glad to see there are more duck tape extremists than me
Brewmaster

Con

Indeed, you have given evidence that "duck tape was used for tons of random stuff in the war." What you have failed to prove even slightly is that duct tape is the very last resort. Actually, you've mostly argued that "before anything fails at all, use some duct tape." You have given no evidence that duct tape can succeed where other products fail, such as how to use duct tape to remove cancer when chemo therapy fails. You also opened your argument with the claim that duct tape can fix anything, which I have demonstrated, factually but in good humor, simply isn't true.

I tried to have fun with this and be silly, but I must say I was hoping for more of an interesting rebuttal from you than continually stating like a stoned out hippie "Duuuude, duct take is, like, totally the best...man..."
Posted by rofflewoffles 8 years ago
rofflewoffles
made me lol
Posted by Brewmaster 8 years ago
Brewmaster
Thank you RoyLatham, spoken like a true engineer.
Posted by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
Pro sorta concedes in Round 2.

In Round 1 he claimed that "DucK tape can fix anything," then in Round 2 continues with "...ducktape can't fix is a broken heart, i know from expirence."

CA - Con
RS - Con
S&G - Con
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
The Argument from WD-40 is insurmountable.
Posted by TheSexicanMexican 8 years ago
TheSexicanMexican
hahah nice
Posted by McBain 8 years ago
McBain
Duct tape can't fix a broken heart! Nice job on conceding your own argument right there. I don't see the need to bring self pity into the debate.

I drink your salty tears of pity!
Vote Placed by rofflewoffles 8 years ago
rofflewoffles
weatherBrewmasterTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 8 years ago
studentathletechristian8
weatherBrewmasterTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
weatherBrewmasterTied
Vote Placed by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
weatherBrewmasterTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
weatherBrewmasterTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
weatherBrewmasterTied
Vote Placed by sorc 8 years ago
sorc
weatherBrewmasterTied