which is better, tower-defense games(pro) vs other action games (con)

Started: 4/26/2015 Category: Games

I think tower defense games are the best category of action games as they require a lot of thinking skills, quick co-ordination and less blood and gore. Some action games have too much blood and gore and difficult controls. I prefer tower-defense games like Kingdom Rush, Bashing grounds etc.

The Call of Duty franchise exists in a battleground between its eternal champions and its virulent critics. Some people love the games, some people hate them, and very few of us are caught in between. Where does one begin? How does one attempt to be right in the eyes of Call of Duty? With Advanced Warfare out tomorrow, I"ve compiled this handy ranking system for you in order to understand which games are worth playing and why. Note that I"ve cut out several retellings and side story games because, honestly, who cares?

10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

call of duty modern warfare 3.jpg

I honestly cannot remember a single thing about this game despite finishing it and playing dozens of hours in the multiplayer. It is the ultimate vanilla product, and it pushed me into a zone where I thought that I no longer cared about this franchise.

9. Call of Duty: Black Ops II

call of duty black ops II.jpg

Here I will confess to believing that I have never played Black Ops II. However, a very good friend of mine claims that we played the game for hours and hours over one weekend when he was on a break from a trip abroad. We go back and forth about this"him with his strong memories, me with a total lack of them. What I can say is that this game was certainly a Call of Duty game.

8. Call of Duty: World At War

call of duty world at war.jpg

I played maybe fifteen minutes of World At War total. I was home from college and a thirteen year old challenged me to a one-on-one deathmatch. I thought that I would be able to win, and more than that I thought I could win quickly. He killed me over and over and over again from every angle and I left ashamed of myself. Also, you can apparently summon a horde of dogs to kill your enemies in multiplayer, which is a pretty weird design decision.

7. Call of Duty: Black Ops

call of duty black ops.jpg

Black Ops was the moment that the Call of Duty franchise really clicked into cruise control on both the single and multiplayer fronts. The former is largely forgettable outside of a few key moments (shooting a fake Fidel Casto; fantasizing about murdering JFK) and the latter steadfastly refused to progress in any way other than in the field of weapon customization. On top of its boring and static qualities, Black Ops might be the most cynical game in the series, featuring a scene where the "protagonist" puts a piece of glass in a prisoner"s mouth and then punches him in the face. It is not a game I ever want to revisit.

Call of duty may be controversial due to 'the effect on violence on children's minds' angle.
You yourself state you don't remember half the game and find it a cynical series. I suggest you play Kingdom Rush, it is better.
I played Call of Duty once maybe, it is like all those shooting games. It is too difficult to co-ordinate arrow key movements to dodge bullets, take aim to fire and then press the fire button. I find this very hard.
Tower-defense games, on the other hand, have towers that will auto-fire which help me keep much more calmer than running on the battle field. In call of duty(not sure which version), the computer allies were of no help, whereas in tower defense the computer is doing most of the job.
Multi-player- Although multi-player is great in Call of Duty, it is as you said 'I was ashamed of myself for losing'. This may even lead to frustration for you at one point, and may end up damaging the computer mouse fire button. Plus the blood, explosion and all that effects are less scarier in tower-defense. You also have to orient yourself in Call of Duty by moving your head with the mouse to see your enemies which may already have killed you in that time, while in tower-defense we have an above view and technically 'we' are not the ones fighting.
Storyline- Lastly, I doubt Call of Duty has a sensible story, as you didn't 'care' about it. Kingdom Rush, on the other hand, has a pretty funny and good story.
Map- No complex roads for me to travel in tower-defense, thank you.
Weapons- In most tower-defense, the towers can't be killed by enemies, and can be upgraded to see a devastating attack effect. In call of duty, I had a bazooka or something, but by the time I figured out how to fire, the enemy killed me, and I had a rifle again. So, that is a disadvantage.
Strategy- I think tower-defense involves usage of brainpower, for you need to determine the arrangement of towers, the type you are gonna use, the money you are saving etc. It is better than just aim and fire.

6. Call of Duty

call of duty original.jpg

I can"t think about this game without summoning up my memories of Medal of Honor: Frontline, a game that appeared on the Playstation 2 a year before Call of Duty was released on any platform. It"s been years since I"ve played it, but I remember thinking that it was a thin shadow of the game that I had spent months playing beforehand. A revisit might be necessary.

5. Call of Duty 3

This installation of the franchise could have been named Streamline of Duty because the separate campaigns that structured the previous games were stripped out entirely in order to suture all the different plots together. Instead of living each campaign through the eyes of a single soldier, you live the war itself through a truly synthetic worldview. Well, "truly synthetic" in the sense that you experience a lot of shooty mcwardude fighting. The rest of the games in the series are variations on that theme.

4. Call of Duty: Ghosts

This game takes place after an apocalypse caused by orbital weapons. In this horrible future, only American soldiers and their dog companions can fight off the horde of the allied Latin American nations attempting to invade and destroy the remainder of our glorious country. It"s typical chest-thumping dude-shooting, but with the strange Tom Clancy-style infusion of contemporary middle American anxieties. In other words, Ghosts is a symptom, just like every other Call of Duty game. It dives head over heels into its paranoia, and the game that comes out of that process is profoundly great in its fear mongering. The multiplayer is polished to a sheen, and I"ve probably put 150 hours into its tight, fulfilling loops. We live in a strange, contradictory world.

3. Call of Duty
Call of Duty 2 continued the American media tradition of World War II shooters completely ripping off the D-Day sequence from Saving Private Ryan. While it needs to be said that this sequence had already been fully mined of all of its patriotic action potential, luckily this game was able to leverage the Call of Duty narrative of "war from multiple angles" to present a particularly great set of missions around Soviet warfare. I remember sitting on a hard chair during a particularly sweaty summer in a house that wasn"t my own and feeling a real, authentic anxiety when I watched my friends and compatriots swarm a city while I followed, firing wildly.

2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 2

I don"t think I ever completed the single-player campaign for this game. Honestly, I only remember three things about the game, period. The first is my experience of killing seemingly-infinite numbers of people who lived in a favela while being very confused about why we were fighting in the first place. The second is being attacked by a dog in that same favela and being forced to kill it. The third is the strange thrill of creating a melee-only multiplayer class and winning with massive scores for the first week after release. What a weird game.

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Released in 2007, Modern Warfare did what Medal of Honor: Frontline had done five years earlier: It set the exact parameters for a successful military first-person shooter. Contemporary videogaming has not recovered from Modern Warfare, and its presence is felt so much that playing games after it, like the relaunched Medal of Honor series, feels hollow because they don"t hit their gameplay and story beats in the way that Modern Warfare did. This game jumped the series from "games about war" to "games about action heroes." Every game after it lives in its shadow, especially in regards to its online multiplayer component. No game since has quite captured the feel of firing an AK at an entire team of pinned-down enemies while your helicopter is attacking them from above. It was beautiful in its simplicity.

The generic argument of "violence is bad for children" is ridiculous. Studies show exactly how (for the right ages and in right amounts of playing time) games like Call Of duty can prove to be a benefit to a persons reaction times and overall wellbeing. Not only is Call Of Duty a great way to release stress and pressure of every day life and exams, you want to go and continuously challenge your mind with the tower defence games. I'm not saying that the tower defence games require intellect (which they do) but they only contribute to the one aspect where as games like Call Of Duty have various game play modes; allowing you to use your intelligence to navigate your way to a checkpoint, or if you feel completely the other way, you can go on a rampage spilling zombie guts. The game has all elements that you can put it which are highly underrated.

To support my claim about the science behind how games like call of duty help the mind I would like you (and the viewers) to watch this short youtube clip;
Daphne Bavelier: Your brain on video games -
I look forward to your response

Yes the violence angle is ridiculous indeed but many sites say so, here are a few.
Furthermore, other sites in google were also con for the topic. I really need to debate this.
'Not only is Call Of Duty a great way to release stress and pressure of every day life and exams, you want to go and continuously challenge your mind with the tower defence games. I'm not saying that the tower defence games require intellect (which they do) but they only contribute to the one aspect where as games like Call Of Duty have various game play modes; allowing you to use your intelligence to navigate your way to a checkpoint, or if you feel completely the other way, you can go on a rampage spilling zombie guts. The game has all elements that you can put it which are highly underrated.'

First of all, Kingdom Rush is great fun as well, with enemies that explode and even cry. Plus you can play easy mode if you don't want a continuous challenge. It is too easy at hard anyway, but still. There are multiple modes in Tower defense games, like survival, 1 life, high difficulty and lesser money etc. Other tower defense games even let you become the enemy, like in plants vs zombies. Reaction time is tested by extra abilities like fire rain and reinforcements. We can also change positioning of our melee troops to block the enemy. Plus, they don't actually increase reaction time in real life. No, you only know how to run a keyboard or mouse fast, not run faster.
Plus, you haven't rebutted rest of my arguments, but just given a list of games.

Firstly the links which you shared show how children are negatively affected by video games. Then later you went on to say how "Kingdom Rush, with enemies that explode and even cry" so by you saying this is a complete and utter contradiction to yourself. You also implied the point that your supporting argument is that tower defence games are good because they offer challenge but then your example of a tower defence game came with your opinion that "it"s too easy on hard (mode) anyway". This should summarise to the audience just how inaccurate and implausible your argument truly is. Regardless another point you made is that tower defence games are good because like in plants vs zombies you can become the enemy. I find that you said this ridiculous as Call Of Duty is known for its world-wide multiplayer option and zombie options. Tower defence games do not offer the same level of physical challenge to players who are challenging each other. They rely on long term building of towns and towers etc. but with Call Of Duty you can fully battle it out right there right then.
As for Reaction time yes it will improve your ability to click a mouse or hit a button on a pad, but you are completely oblivious to running. You said it doesn"t really increase your reaction time in real life. This is false as sprinters must come quick of the blocks. Yes reaction times will not help them run faster, but it will allow them to set off the starting blocks before their opposition therefore giving them the advantage.
To summarise I just want to reinforce my point of how Call of Duty is better and this is not only believed by me, but by millions of people world-wide. More than 6.5 million people bought copies of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 in North America and the United Kingdom in the first 24 hours of its release pulling in more than $400 million.
That makes it one of the largest entertainment launch in history, with sales of more than $400 million. Its reported $483 million take includes the entire world and two days, not just one.

Modern Warfare 3's impressive sales topples last year's record-breaking release of Call of Duty: Black Ops, which managed to sell 5.6 million copies the day it went on sale. That means Black Ops sold $360 million worth of copies in its first 24 hours of release in North America and the U.K. That compared to the $310 million that Modern Warfare 2 pulled in two years ago by selling 4.7 million copies.
"We believe the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is the biggest entertainment launch of all time in any medium, and we achieved this record with sales from only two territories," said Bobby Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard, Inc. "Other than Call of Duty, there has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records three years in a row. Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise exceed worldwide theatrical box office for "Star Wars" and "Lord of the Rings," two of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time."
Eric Hirshberg, CEO, Activision Publishing added, "Call of Duty is more than a game. It's become a major part of the pop cultural landscape. It is a game that core enthusiasts love, but that also consistently draws new people into the medium. It is the most intense, adrenaline pumping entertainment experience anywhere. I would like to thank our incredible teams at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games for making a brilliant game. But most of all, I would like to thank our millions of passionate fans worldwide. We made this game for you."
Activision also announced today that they donated $3 million to their Call of Duty Endowment, a non-profit, public benefit corporation that seeks to provide job placement and training for veterans. This latest donation will be added to the $2 million that Activision has already donated to the Endowment, which has provided more than $1.5 million in grants and scholarships to veterans' organizations across the country since it was conceived by Bobby Kotick in November of 2009.
Now finally that is why Call Of Duty is better. Thank you for the debate I really enjoined it.
Posted by Himans45 1 year ago
Pro's argument consists of other games being too hard for him to play and having blood and gore (Which many see as a good thing) Should be an easy win for con.
Posted by rayhaan779 1 year ago
lord_megatron Call Of Duty is extremely hard and gets even harder once you play with the greats around the world. It takes time to master and learn but the whole factor of it being difficult just shows you the skill level and how you have to be good or you can't play at all. It is a game for the elite. There are also competitions every month where people and clan's play in tournaments for actual money which are hosted by Youtube and this has major popularity and support by millions which also proves its not only me who believes call of duty is awesome.
Posted by lord_megatron 1 year ago
they are qualified as strategy AND action. So that works.
Posted by Diqiucun_Cunmin 1 year ago
Aren't tower defence games classified as real-time strategy, rather than action?