lord_starscream
JimmyBoJangles

which is more popular performing arts like plays, movies and music (con) or visual art (pro)

Started: 5/21/2015 Category: Funny

lord_starscream

Con

Pro has to argue that visual art is a more popular form than performing arts.
JimmyBoJangles

Pro

Okay I am assuming that this debate has no structure whatsoever due to the fact that there are only three rounds, and Kathy did not bring any opening argument to the table in round one. I will write my opening argument in Round 1. I propose that Kathy write her opening argument in round two without any rebutting of what I said in Round 1. I will use my round 2 to rebut Kathy's opening argument, Kathy uses Round 3 to rebut my opening argument, and I will forfeit my round 3. If you accept this, say so in the beginning of your next turn. If you do not show any indication of your decision, and rebut anything of my opening argument in round 2, then I will not forfeit round 3 and you will be at a disadvantage because not only will I get the last word, but an extra round to debate as well. You have been warned.

This topic is very close to home as I am an artist myself, specializing in space ceramics (a form of visual art). I have many pieces featured in museums around the world, and even one in the Louvre. I admit that much of the population finds going to museums and such very boring. However, there are very many other forms of visual art very popular. This is because essentially everything is visual art. Tables are visual art and are very important to today's society, and are pretty popular considering that many people love eating and you place your food on a table. Food itself is a visual art. Just go on Instagram and search #delicious. Thousands of pictures of plates of food that many people find aesthetically pleasing can be found. Virtually everything that humans create is visual art, so all you have to do is take everything that humans find popular, subtract performing art, and you get the popularity of visual art, which is higher than performing art, because performing art takes up a smaller fraction of what humans find popular. Heck I could even argue that performing art is visual art itself, but I won't due to my excellent sportsmanship. Humans themselves are visual art, forged in the beauty that is the uterus. And look at just how aesthetically pleasing and popular humans are. http://blogs.psychcentral.com... . Also, nature is a visual art created by the lord Jesus Christ, and the Great One. No, not Wayne Gretzky. Calm down Canadians. No, not Daunte Culpepper. But he was pretty great. I'm talking about God with a capital G. Many people enjoy going out for a hike and being in nature. Reddit's 19th most popular sub-reddit is /r/Earthporn, a subreddit entirely devoted to beautiful nature scenes. How awesome is this? http://imgur.com... Would you rather experience that, or watch a movie?

Thanks for your time Kathy.
lord_starscream

Con

My opponent mentions someone of 'Kathy'. This is for humor or what?
Pro talks about visual art being present everywhere, such as food and table designs. But I talk about the main form, which is painting and sculpturing. Furthermore, then like you said even performing arts would fall in visual art, hence there shall be no reason to debate. Blindness is a symptom everyone would want to avoid due to high amount of visual stimuli received.
But I talk about the visual ARTS, which is mostly painting, coloring and sculpturing.
Performing arts include plays, movies and music, which are the extremely popular forms of art. Visual art has only museums that people see, and over-expensive paintings that common people can't buy. On the other hand, performing arts is well known by people, is cheap for 1 person but wields large profit when many people see it, so both the sides are pleased. No common man can buy a piece of artwork though. So, due to its compatibility with the audience it has reached new heights of popularity, while the arts have not progressed on such a wide scale.
JimmyBoJangles

Pro

Kath... hold up a minute. You just rebutted in round 2, so I will now be forced to debate in round 3, as my previous statement said. First of all, Pro Tip: post all of your definitions before the debate, and don't just expect people to share your definition if you don't post it. Then you have two incoherent sentences that I don't know if they should connect. Generally if you want to make your sentences flow, you should make it more obvious, and read them out loud to make sure they flow smoothly. Then you talk about how boring museums are (I said the same thing) and talk about how popular music and movies are. However, visual art covers a lot more areas than just what you see in museums. I ask you Kathy to rebut my arguments in a way besides defining what visual arts are after I have already presented my arguments. Also, paintings and the forms of visual art that you are more familiar with aren't all expensive. Parents are often very proud and pleased with a drawing that their child gave them for free, and all that costs is a piece of paper and a box of crayons.
lord_starscream

Con

'Kath...hold up a minute' that is Lord_Starscream to you.
Definitions- The conventional form of visual arts is paintings drawings and ceramics. Now does food art coming in your mind before these when visual arts is being said? I'll post my definitions from next time though.
I probably have lost this debate already.
I didn't say museums were boring, but they are certainly boring compared to the great movie theater.
The famous artwork is expensive, why do they come in news otherwise. And when a child makes that sketchy drawing and parents smile, they do it to please the child, they actually find the artwork very unattractive and unskilled. Also making a movie or anime pleases parents even more, and singing or playing music can be praised as well.
Although visual art is present everywhere like Pro says, it is not exactly acknowledged everywhere. Therefore I can try and add more things to performing arts. One could be television, which has no other form to match its popularity. Even dance can said to be a performing art. How can visual arts have more popularity than these?
JimmyBoJangles

Pro

JimmyBoJangles forfeited this round.
Posted by henryzietlow 1 year ago
henryzietlow
I didn't really see much of an argument on Kathy's part. My vote is with Jimmy