repressiveassholessuck
Dilara

white privilege is a thing

repressiveassholessuck

Pro

White privilege is a generalized term, and no not all whites have it good some are in the same ghettos that black people live in, but as a whole as a society white people are not only privileged but they are oppressing blacks. First we were slaves, then we were separate but "equal" which meant blacks got the worst of everything and were treated like dirt but hey at least we weren't being whipped in fields anymore. it is now 2016 and we are integrated but still not equal. We have less access to education. http://www.usnews.com... we have lost the right to fair trial. http://www.nydailynews.com... . And thats only for those lucky enough to make it to trial. Racist officers are gunning down innocent people purely because of their color. https://www.rt.com... and thats only one of the disturbing cases that have been presented in the last year. Yes one black gunman from a law enforcement hate group did kill five cops, and that is horrible, but this is actually a 1%
it would be like calling all people of Arabian decent terrorists. 99% of that population share the main belief of peace and equality for all while like any group they do have a small portion of extremists. Black people have been treated unfairly for too long it's time for us to recognize this cultural divide and start filling the gap.
Dilara

Con

White people are not oppressing blacks.
You talk about slavery, and that being evidence for white oppression of blacks. Only 1.4% of white Americans owned black slaves. White Americans also played a huge role in ending slavery. After slavery ended, many whites helped with the civil rights movement.
The first article shows that a classism exists in the education system, not racism. The same problems exist among poor whites. A lot of the info in that article is about how black families do less to help their kids in school, reading to them less and so on. This is not the fault of white people. White people are not forcing black people not to read to their children and whites are not forcing black people to have lower expectations. The article also talks about book characters being mostly white.I think diversity in childrens books is important, but I do not agree that this responsibility should be put on all white people. People have a right to put whatever characters they want in their own books. If you want more black characters write them in your own books. The same goes with black teachers. If you're black and you want to be a teacher great! and if you dont its not anyone elses fault. The article also mentions how black students are more likely to be suspended and expelled. Maybe this is because they are more likely to act up than white students. They are more likely to be arrested because they are more likely to commit crimes. This article later talks about college. With affirmative action black students who are less qualified are let in over white peers who are more qualified. The reason fewer blacks in college graduate is because they are more likely to have gotten in on affirmative action and therefor were less qualified to begin with. http://dailysignal.com...
The second article shows the unfairness between two cases only. Black people are only given longer prison sentences because of passed convictions. African American sell and use drugs at higher rates than whites according to the US Department of Health and Human Services. Black people are more likely to go to prison because they are more likely to commit crimes.
There is no epidemic of police killing black men. Black men are more likely to commit violent crimes and therefor more likely to have violent encounters with police. Only 20 unarmed black men are killed by police unjustifiably a year. I should also mention that black police men have killed white people but those cases got less attention because they didn't fit the narrative. http://www.foxnews.com...
Attacks against police, especially white police have been happening a lot recently. In Dallas and Tennessee white police were specifically targeted. http://www.cbsnews.com... There have also been hate crimes against white non police. http://www.dailymail.co.uk... Did these hate crime victims have white privilege? With all thats going on these types of attacks are bound to happen again. In fact More white people are killed by black people than black people are killed by white cops a year.
Saying all white people are oppressing black people is like saying all Muslims are terrorists or all black people are thugs. It does not take into account the white individuals who don't fit that narrative.
repressiveassholessuck

Pro

your last point is 100% inaccurate 'saying that white people oppressing blacks is like saying that all Muslims are terrorists'. Yes it is generalized but it is not a 1% it is not a small portion of our society it is more like 80% of the black population that is either being brought up in poverty where there only choice is to commit crimes, whereas many white people who commit crimes do it only to make the rich get richer. As to what you said at the beginning of your argument, yes white people did play a big role in ending slavery, who else was going to? It's not like one day the slaves could wake up and say 'you know what today I'm no longer a slave' if they did try to revolt then they would be shot. I mean hey if you want to pat yourselves on the back and say yay us only 1.4% of americans owned slaves then go ahead, but that doesn't change the fact that millions of black people were slaves, and thousands were killed. Moving forward a few decades you're surprised why black people aren't happy that they are still being killed. In your example of a white man being killed by a black cop there is actually no proof that the man posed no threat, and also doesn't seem to have anything to do with racism whereas the recent cases have shown on video a black man being shot SEVERAL times in most of the cases far more than necessary to disarm him and even to kill him http://www.dailymail.co.uk... this video is extremely graphic and horrifying. As for black people having it easier when it comes to getting scholarships and getting into better colleges thats because (again in general) they have more tribulations when trying to go through school they are raised in ghettos and many of their neighbors and friends will grow up to be drug dealers, and instead of taking that route the individual who went through the school system and flourished (it's not like you could have a 3.0 GPA and still get into an ivy just because your black) Colleges want people who will do well in the real world and as a fairly true stereotype black people have proven their resilience and promise by getting as far as they did and doing as well as they did. Also ever think of why colleges started giving black people a little advantage... OMG! I think it's because they need a leg up when they are surrounded by all this WHITE PRIVILEGE ! ;)
Dilara

Con

Only a small percentage of white people today are genuinely racist.
Stop excusing criminals. Does poverty explain why black men are more likely to rape than other demographics? Are you going to excuse rapists? White people who commit non violent crimes do them for the same reasons as black people--they might be desperate or maybe they're just selfish jerks. Most white criminals are not rich.
White people played a large role in ending slavery, so don't judge all whites and say they were all racist. That was my point. The pat on the black goes to the actual people who ended slavery not their decedents or anyone else.
Black people are being killed disproportionately...by other black people. They are not disproportionately being killed by police. The reason they are more likely to be killed by police is because they are more likely to commit violent crimes.
How do you know that the shootings in Louisiana and Minnesota were results of racism? In the MN shooting the cop was Hispanic.
Affirmative action harms minorities. If you get into a college based on your race when you were not qualified enough to get in otherwise you are more likely to fail out. It would be much better for those students to go to colleges they are qualified for and wont drop out of. By letting them into places they'll fail out of you are doing them a disservice and not giving them an advantage or a leg up. They might have experienced the real world but they aren't qualified. Also, black students are more likely to have hard times in school due to class. White poor students in trailer parks or urban white ghettos have the same problems as black kids in black ghettos. If black people having more problems in school is why you support affirmative action, and the reason they have more problems is class, than you should support class based affirmative action. Isn't it unfair that a rich black person can be given a spot over a poor white person who didn't have as good an upbringing as them? In that case you wouldn't be evening a playing field you would be creating a bigger disparity. You would be giving the "advantage" to someone who didn't need it. Whose more privileged? The white kid who grew up in a trailer park or a middle class black kid?
repressiveassholessuck

Pro

sure, in the last example you gave the middle class black person would have more privilege, but what I am arguing is that most of the black community is lower class whilst only a small portion of the white community actual lives in these ghettos, or suffers from this staggering poverty. I absolutely do not excuse any violent crimes committed by blacks or other, but history has shown that any group that is being oppressed, or is being provoked ,treated unfairly, discriminated against, and abused is likely to lash out. Usually it is because that group is suffering from segregation, and prosecution. Even the most mundane affiliations today probably suffered prosecution due to adversity. Christians, Jews, Pakistani, Armenians, LGBT community, and blacks. These organizations or groups they all fought to get out from under the thumb of whomever was considered the standard, or superior race. Since the beginning of time black people have been among the under valued under appreciated pariahs of our society. Only for us the torment still has not ended it still looms over us every day like a dark cloud. If you think racism only exist in small quantities then your eyes have yet to be opened to the life in the day of a dark skinned individual http://www.huffingtonpost.com... . Not to say that your opinion is invalid, but white people, and people outside of the problem in general are so blind to the divide that is shattering America. Everyday black people are faced with not only crippling poverty, and the inability to rise up in life without doing the only thing they are taught how to do (being criminals of some sort), but also the staggering racism that I can say confidently still exists, and is not only prevalent but growing. Every time the black community holds a peaceful protest their is back lash from outsider parties.
A racist person can say what they are doing or saying is not offensive, but at the end of the day it is not their call whether what they do is offensive or not . You, a privileged white person are not the one who gets to make the call on whether there is such thing as white privilege or not, we do. The people who see it everyday with their own eyes the people who gain animosity towards you every day because nobody is doing anything to make a change it is being passed over and pushed under the rug, and because we wont go down without a fight that makes us animals, criminals...inferior.
Dilara

Con

Since most blacks are lower class class based affirmative action would help them right? And it wouldn't create unfair disparities between middle class black people/women and poor whites/men. You don't have to live in a black ghetto to be poor, and plenty of white people live in urban or rural poor areas in similar conditions to poor black people. There are 20 million poor whites in America.
Since the beginning of time black people have been mistreated? So for the hundreds of thousands of years humans existed? I think you mean since the beginning of American time. I don't deny that it still hangs over lots of people.
When did I say racism only exists in small quantities? I said that most of the disparities between whites and blacks are class based. Not all blacks are poor and not all whites are middle class.
In the article you gave this woman is talking about how people didn't like a previous article she wrote where she basically said that all whites who were not fighting racism were part of the problem. She didn't understand that there are whites involved in other causes and whites who have their own problems and can't actively fight racism. Reacting to a stupid article does not mean ignoring racism.
BTW white people have experienced racism in history and do today. https://en.wikipedia.org...
Most aren't "blind" to racism they just have other problems. There is anti black racism sure.
There are lots of backlashes against black lives matter because of the way they act.
I am the one who gets to make the call on whether my life is privileged or not. People who don't know me and have no idea what my life is like DO NOT get to tell me what my life is like. I was raised MUSLIM after 9/11 and dealt with terrible discrimination, yet because I'm white I have privilege? You have no idea who I am or what my life has been like so you do not get to tell me I have privilege. White people, if anyone, should be the ones deciding if they are privileged or not. We know what our own lives are like. People who don't know what our lives are like should not be telling us "how great we have it."
I did not say that black people who fight against racism are "animals' or "inferior" or "criminals." I said that actual criminals are...criminals and have no excuses to commit violent crimes. I am fine with people fighting racism, but if you block high ways, shut down events and harass people like black lives matter does, than you are morally "inferior." Black lives matter does disgusting things when "fighting against racism." Not appreciating their harassment does not equate to racism .
Posted by Dilara 5 months ago
Dilara
Repressive Whiteflame did explain why he voted for me. Your arguments were ridiculous.
Posted by Dilara 5 months ago
Dilara
white flame. Can you vote?
Posted by Dilara 5 months ago
Dilara
Actually out of the 13 million killed in the holocaust 6 million were Jews.
I guess you are saying that blacks were the main victims of slavery in world history. That is likely true, but whites were also enslaved in the millions. https://en.wikipedia.org...
In the US there were white slaves as well. And most black people who were enslaved were enslaved by Arabs and other blacks, not whites,
Posted by whiteflame 5 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Letsdebate24// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to make any convincing arguments.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) The voter doesn't explain conduct, S&G or sources. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter merely restates the decision without examining the specifics of the debate.
************************************************************************
Posted by repressiveassholessuck 6 months ago
repressiveassholessuck
http://www.innocenceproject.org... source
also many christians were killed in the holocaust, but that in no way diminishes the fact that jews were the main victims. Same thing with slavery, and the many decades of segregation.
Posted by Dilara 6 months ago
Dilara
Whites have been enslaved in the millions, mostly by Arabs, Turks and other whites. https://researchnews.osu.edu...
Blacks who were enslaved and taken to the Americas were first enslaved by black chieftans because their tribe lost a war. They were then sold to Europeans.
"Also close to half of the blacks who are arrested and found guilty of violent crimes, are actually innocent but not declared so due to prejudice, and un fair trial." Sources?
repressiveassholessuck
yes of corse but not even in a fraction of the amount that blacks were, and also most whites that were enslaved were in that position because of being captured during a war, or being an enemy not simply because they were seen as inferior. Also close to half of the blacks who are arrested and found guilty of violent crimes, are actually innocent but not declared so due to prejudice, and un fair trial.
Posted by foxxhajti 6 months ago
foxxhajti
About the first paragraph, @repressive, you know that whites have been enslaved as well right?
Posted by repressiveassholessuck 7 months ago
repressiveassholessuck
... guess we'll see
Posted by Dilara 7 months ago
Dilara
You started the debate. And you don't want it because...
My facts are annoying you? BTW I repeated my self because you didnt understand the first time
I proved that white privilege isnt a thing.