mattabeto
tregitsdown

who would win a a battle of detectives, my team of... Skulldugery Pleasant, Near, Mello and Valkyrie

mattabeto

Pro

my argument is now pitched to detective lovers everywhere in the form of a who would win. my team being Skullduggery Pleasant and Valkyrie Cain from the Skullduggery Pleasant series, and Near and Mello from the deathnote series. The team that tregitsdown will choose will be entirely up to him. I have debated this person before and I would be lying if I said it will not be fun

first round is acceptance
every other round plays out like our last debate did
have fun
tregitsdown

Con

Okay, I accept you challenge, and can't wait to have another great debate. My detectives are L, Sherlock Holmes, Detective Conan, and my trump card... Batman! The master detective! Can you please set the scenario? Such as say, how much time they have, their goal, and such and such?
mattabeto

Pro

fair call on the scenario, maybe a Scooby Doo mystery, in the second actual movie, there is the "monsters stolen, bad guy reviving them", sort of storyline so if a send a link, base your arguments off how long it would take to solve the mystery...
I would also ask if you are basing Sherlock Holmes off the novels or movies, my assumptions are off the movies.

i shall start with why my detective team would trump your's in a straight up detectives battle, Near and mello have succeeded L in every way, thy survived where he died, they captured the criminal where he failed, they actually captured the criminal in half the time it took L. Since they are actually alive at the end of their storyline and catch light, they win.

batman is countered by Skullduggery pleasant who is a world class martial artist, a detective of a grand scale who gets called on by the leaders of the Whole planet, "not just Gotham city", solving crime after crime and who just happens to be the key elemental magic user in all of Ireland. I'm sure your Batarang would do "lots" of damage against a fire breathing tornado. If he actually survived that i would give him props.

Conan shall be countered by the wonderful, beautiful and talented miss Valkyrie Cain, I mean, who do you think would win, A seven year old who can play soccer or the known destroyer of planets who helps skullduggery solve all of his cases by pointing him towards the clues before he even sees them. she could rip his head of before they started the case...

this is a detective battle but i could beat all of your characters before we start. but i won't beecause my characters can still outsmart yours...

tregitsdown

Con

good arguments, but you overestimate yours and underestimate mine. Near and Mello had to work together somewhat, and Mello was undoubtly L's inferior, being defeated by Near, and while Near managed to finish off the Kira case, he already had the advantage of using the evidence L had already achieved, as well as Mello's help, but I will accept using both of them to counter L, theoritically. Skulduggery, for all his magical abilites, is simply outclassed by Batman when it comes to deductive abilities, because while Skulduggery may be a prime detective, Batman has deductive feats such as matching minds with and defeating the riddler almost every time, detecting Clark Kent's facade in no man's land through the dirt on his body, and having amazing knowledge of ballistics as demonstrated in Batman: Arkham City, where he is capable of determining the position of Deadshot, a expert marksmen, and many more. I still however, have Sherlock Holmes, who I am using the book version, who is the original greatest detective, to the point where his own reputation should be known already, but has such feats as: 1. Determine Irene Addler to be the theif in "A study in Scarlet." 2. Determining the cause of death of Sir Charles Baskerville in "The Hound of Baskerville," among others. And finally, I have Conan Edgowa, a child prodigy known as the Sherlock Holmes of the east, who has solved many, many cases throughout his series. My weakest link would be Conan, but assuming it takes Mello and Near to trump L, and Skulduggery Pleasent and Valkyrie, as it should, since they are partners, and Valkyrie isn't even a prime detective, to defeat Batman and Sherlock Holme's deductive abilites, with great emphasis on assuming, all it would take is Conan to tip the scales in my favour.
mattabeto

Pro

... a detective team works together in every way, so this original match up I had would only last until my team, with their through the roof intelligence, found out that the can re-arrange the line up so they had the full advantage, honestly it wouldn't take that long as your characters flaws are mostly there, sure being the destroyer of a planet Is bad but that's nothing compared to Sherlock.

"This is a man who uses drugs when he is bored, tends to becomes depressed, is rude, dismissive of the police and is even a bit lazy". this taken from the character analysis on yahoo answers. is he really trustworthy in a team where he is best working alone? He doesn't really have the best work ethic does he, I mean he starves himself on cases that lead to a lot of dead ends just because he seems to be close to a point of truth. what good is a detective on a low stomach.

my character are a detective team that is split up into two, two person cells, in inquiry and information team, this Being near and Mello, Their teamwork is legendary and they're deductive skills are far beyond matching Sherlock and Conan.
and the second team being a more hands on team. So this would be an interrogation and infiltration team. being able to change his appearance using a rune etched into his collarbone Skullduggery is a perfect infiltrator and could easily gain access to any spot required by changing into a high up member in the organisation, his skills in adaptation mean that he would not miss their personality traits either. The amazing Valkyrie is easily one of the most capable interrogations directors I have ever read about, her cunning, charming good looks and cut throat efficiency are the skills she employs to get a person to spill their secrets, and if they don't answer quick enough, their blood.

this is a fun but rather askew debate and I'm not sure who will win this one
Matt Murray
tregitsdown

Con

Good arguments, but Near and Mello working together? Mello hates Near, and has a massive inferiority complex which makes him join the mob, while Near is a detached savant who needs a adult to go on a plane despite being a adult himself, and plays with toys! If they were on a team, it would end in attempted murder. And while your argument of Skulduggery pleasant as a infiltrator interests me, and they would be good partners, but you only pointed out Sherlock's flaws, which are barely anything compared to Near and Mello's. Skulduggery and Valkyrie would make a good team, but Near and Mello are already gone.
mattabeto

Pro

In the end Near and Mello did work together, In their respect for L. Your arguments are solidly based on what you think is fact and I do applaud you for coming to that conclusion. I mean, it is the conclusion that anybody that has a mediocre knowledge of death note would come to. The personality of Mello is that he did join the mob, but only to Succeed L in every way. Which in fact he and Near do, proved by the fact that they STAY ALIVE whilst finding Light as Kira...

It is pointed out in the Death-note manga character profiles that Near plays with toys as L played with sugar cubes, in the way of using toys to point out the major points in his plan. Like L makes sugar cube towers like a Three year old. Near only plays with rather creepy figurines to get across that he is a not so innocent childish prodigy and a more than capable N. Only using other task force members to hide himself from Kira. As for the detached part I have no Idea what you are talking about because Near throws himself into every investigation with all of his heart.

sure they are not the perfect match but they will get the job done. In the way that they did with the Kira case and caught the 4 year elusive Kira that even fooled and killed L.

watch what your members say to each other as Skullduggery may be there in disguise listening in
Matt Murray
tregitsdown

Con

My argument was not to prove they wouldn't work together, but wether that they were just as flawed as Sherlock Holmes, also, Near survived, but Mello died by death note. They worked together, but barely, and at point Mello nearly blows Near's brains out. Mello hates Near, and in fact, in How to read, which gives the stats of the charecters, Mello has a 8/10 inferiority complex. http://deathnote.wikia.com...
When I say Near is detached, I refer to his life skills, which according to your analysis of Sherlock, do matter. As well, Near has an initiative of 6/10.http://deathnote.wikia.com...

As to Skuldugerry as infiltrator, do you really believe this many skilled detectives couldn't see through that? As well, who would he imitate? Watari, a man who L knows so well to the point where he would be found out in minutes? Alfred, likewise for Batman. My team is a secretive lot, and I have no doubt that infiltration efforts would be doomed.
mattabeto

Pro

Good points, but the only stable member on your team is Batman, even then he has massive childhood traumas.
He is an Expert in his field and I am going to say that each of my members would Individually have no chance against him, but seeing as the Skulduggery/Valkyrie team is still stable I reckon they could easily take the one batman detective team down. I have enjoyed this debate as much as the last and do wish, as we will, to debate again in the future.

Matt Murray
tregitsdown

Con

All of them have problems, but none of them have ever hindered their investigation abilities. All of my characters are world renowned detectives, and I believe my arguments speak for themselves. Once again, good match, and I wait to see who the voters have chosen. Another fun debate.