baltadakis
poppinoffgrounds

why do we have to debate at debate.com to have a better grade. better then C?

baltadakis

Con

Our Professor, which I respect a lot, great person e great personality, wants o participate on debates at this website to earn a better grade. I am a calm person that does not like to debate with nobody, I like better to hear then to talk.... why can he open an exception?
poppinoffgrounds

Pro

I thank my opponent for boldly proposing the issue; I appreciate my opponent a great deal, especially her enthusiasm and respect.

There are several issues that need to be addressed in order to have a proper debate. Answering these will help to develop my opponent's arguments so that I can be more clear on her position.

First, I'm not exactly clear on why my opponent believes that being a calm person is relevant to whether or not she should be granted an exception (soon, I will address the question of why my opponent believes there ought to be an "exception"); the reason why this is murky stems from the fact that my opponent, falsely, assumes that debaters are not calm, or perhaps that if you are a calm person you would be, somehow, averse to debate; the purpose of debate is not to break the accords of peaceful dealing with other human beings--although that can happen--and it is, as would be assumed given what I just said, an activity that doesn't necessarily require combat, even though debate requires contoversy and conflict; when debaters decide to take up an issue, it is often to be better informed about an issue, sometimes we cannot spot our own flaws when we simply reason by ourselves, thus, it can be a great opportunity to learn one's own shortcomings, or another's strengths (by realizing that other side has the better argument); further, to go back to my previous point concerning being calm and conflict, there are many areas of life where someone purposively breaks from their stoic-calm, their easy going nature, their placid demeanor, and becomes combatively animalistic with another in a constructive way (here, to be clear, I'm thinking of sparring, or playing sports in a passionate way, perhaps even simply rooting for one's favoriate team against a friend who likes the opposing side, again, just to be clear). So, why can't a calm person like to debate?

Second, I'm not exactly clear about why my opponent assumes that her preferences ought to be abided by--that is, I'm not sure why my opponent thinks that her preferred, and presumably, habituated manner of learning is best, just because she likes to listen. In fact, I've seen my opponent make some very good objections that have caused me to question whether or not I ought to continue reasoning in the same fashion; one such objection, which I shall not belabor, came about from when she told me that, as a principle, she tells her daughter to "never assume she knows what another's life is like," which, as someone moved by Sartre's existentialism, hit home, since one ought never assume they can make perfect sense of the other. Furthering my objection here, I am curious as to why my opponent hasn't considered the possibility that a preferred learning style, while it may benefit her in many instances, might, perhaps, be benefited by learning to take up a new learning style through an activity she is foreign to, an activity she seems averse to. So, why can't a listener experiment with putting forth her reasoning in a debate format?

Third, I'm not exactly clear on why my opponent would want me to make an exception to a policy. As I understand it, my opponent plans on entering a profession that demands serious abidance and fidelity to policy; while I understand that my position is such that there may be justifiable exceptions to certain policies (i.e. a student who had jaw surgery may be granted exception to a required oral presentation), I am not quite sure that my opponent has provided a proper justification for being an exception to this policy: it is not as if my opponent, physically or psychologically, is incapable of participating in debate (and, yes, I understand her inclination is to avoid debate, and avoid conflict, this is presumably because of her wonderful character as an empathetic and caring person--but, her grade is not a reflection of her as a person: should that have been the case, I would have to grant an A to so many who cross my path, some, even, who never do their work or achieve comprehension of the material,--and such a policy would, indeed, make schooling difficult, if not absurd). So, why would someone be granted exception to a debate assignment?
baltadakis

Con

I believe that my opponent does not understand yet that there are other types of evaluations that do not necessarily need to be a debate. Some people like it and have much more energy to discuss and argue with others, and that fact does not call my attention too much. Calm, yes, and in the sense of not being discussing and trying to convince someone that my point of view,is/are better or correct. People to their extreme, fighting, and can end up hurting others because they try to make their words and thoughts to be heard and given as the right. Another factor that should mention is the fact when you listen you learn, not only what the person is talking or teaching, but you learn to know the people/person well. Listen also a way of learning, and speak is a great way developing deliver what you learned, but argue it is Something That still does not call my attention. Just because I like to observe more then talk or argue does not mean that I don't have my own opinions. As Paulo Freire had teach us, we are not a empty box, and we have value experiences.
A debate like this can also lead us to anything, why have I changed my mind about the importance of taking this forward.
Yes, I teach my children, especially my daughter not to judge people, because we do not know why they act a certain way, or choose to live that life, once I also had serious problems at home, and was hard to maintain friendships or bring friends to my house, even a boyfriend.
I do believe that my teacher is a very intelligent, very well educated person and has a great personality and very generous, but I do not wanna be judged by my personality, but from what I learned. The class for me is hard, but at the same time is very interesting because the Professor makes it lake that, but still do not see why we need to debate. When you come from another country, in my case, is hard to understand some of the textbooks, but I try, sometimes not really successful, but I do.
poppinoffgrounds

Pro

poppinoffgrounds forfeited this round.
baltadakis

Con

I was more carefully reading what my opponent wrote, and I have to say, in my defense, that I am not avoiding a debate, I am a good listener, other wise I would not have choose to become a Forensic Psychologist is just I really don't like conflicts. I can see in class that after an argument people get upset,but with that I did learn is the importance of listening and understand what the other is saying, necessarily agree with him or her. I am calm person, but doesn't mean that I don't speak my mind, but I avoid to do as a debate. I say what I have to say, I listen if the other part have something to say, as is his/her right, I turn back and leave. I may had learn something new with this person, but I dont need to keep insisting in a argument that may do us to "nowhere". I do thank my opponent in help me out, I learn with his passion on what he does, and even that we are here debating, I do admire him as a person, a Professor and, if he give me his permission as a interesting friend.
poppinoffgrounds

Pro

poppinoffgrounds forfeited this round.