Curtispov11
tjzimmer

why is gay marriage such a big issue

Curtispov11

Pro

this isn't technically a debate...
its more of a complaint for all those people against it.

i just kind of want to know why you think it should be illegal

It isn't going to affect you either way, so why don't you just not have such a small dick about it and ignore it?
tjzimmer

Con

I just want to start off by saying I am for gay marriage because it doesn't bother me. However, as for looking at the other side and being from a very right family, I can tell you why its an. Many Americans would say that our nation was founded by men of great religious beliefs. This being said, you have to admit that our government has actually come a long way and giving the benefits to gay couples as far health and insurance benefits. Now they want to be recognized by the church as being "married". This is where many people draw the line. They feel that the moral collapse of America starts with the idea that marriage is no longer between just a man and a woman. People think this is sick and claim that not even animals constantly mate with the same sex so why should we permit such an act. Also, why is it fair for say, the Catholic church to change centuries of sacred marriage ceremonies if they don't want too. Especially if they and the bible are total against the idea of gay marriage. By making them change and have to take on these ceremonies through a government law would be illegal in the sense that the government is getting involved in religious institutions. As much as atheist hate religion, it has to be recognized that over 66% of American citizens believe in some sort of higher being. So with all this said, it is a big deal for many people to have their children subject to such confusion as to what marriage really is.
Curtispov11

Pro

actually i am an atheist and i don't hate religion...actually i find it fascinating...

my whole family is christian, most of my friends ore too, and so is my girlfriend, so no i don't hate religion...

i just don't embrace it as 66% of americans do

But thanks for the info, this wasn't a debate really i just wanted to know their perspectives
tjzimmer

Con

I totally understand that and I didn't know you were atheist, so do not think I tried to take a shot at you. I wanted to also note that you said people shouldn't have a small dick and ignore it lol but it is hard to ignore it when you see gay couples being married on TV or when your young child comes home asking how two men married can make a baby. I think you can kinda understand where I am going with this, it is just such a difficult, touchy situation. I am fascinated with religion as well although many people have tried to disprove the existence of a god...I would rather believe in something like 3/4 of the world does as well than be wrong and spend a life in hell you kind of see what I am saying?
Curtispov11

Pro

oh yeah i know you weren't trying to take a shot at me or anything...apology accepted

yeah but i see what you mean about kids being adopted by gay couples and how much that would suck for the kid

lol yeah, not going to hell is a pretty good reason to believe in god

but one reason why that doesn't affect me much is that if i worry too much about what will happen when i die, then i won't be focusing on how to live a good life now, when i am alive lol
tjzimmer

Con

You know man it is common to worry about the next life but I am with you. I live it to the fullest but try to hold good virtues that if there is an afterlife, will be recognized and rewarded. Being a good person doesn't have to be because you trying not to go to hell, its just how people should. There is a lot of evil people out there and it is up to us good folks to enjoy life, worry about death or not, and help others as much as we can. Don't take this the wrong way but I have met many atheist people and they seem kind of jerky to me. Kind of like whats the point of life? I want to do what I want giving no care for others, like really selfish and mean. I dont know why they are like this cause we all just trying to live the way we want. Your thoughts?
Posted by senorsavas 9 years ago
senorsavas
All men were created equal, right? If you don't agree then this post will fall on deaf ears.

What gives anyone the right to deny marriage to someone because they aren't heterosexual?

There are many married gay couples in the USA. Has that had an impact on your life in any demonstrable way? Do you feel any less alive? Any less married?

I believe we'll all look back on this in 50 years with great shame and disbelief. Remember when women couldn't vote? Remember when most of the country was segregated by race? These things seem atrocious in today's society but not too long ago they weren't.

btw - this has nothing to do with the church or religion. It's about the government recognizing them at equals and giving the right to be married. And the Catholic church doesn't have to marry anyone they don't want to....now and forever. It's a private institution. Gays just want to be married....they don't care by whom as long as the government recognizes the union.
Posted by Curtispov11 9 years ago
Curtispov11
yeah, unfortunately, lots of atheists i know are jerks too, and i don't really know if that has anything to do with their beliefs or not, but whatever the case, it sucks.

but there are a lot of atheists out there who don't really know why they don't believe in god...they just don't want to be a part of the whole 'religion' thing for whatever reason. My guess is that those are the @$$holes...its a common steriotype for atheists that they are always depressed and mad at the world...religion is one thing they are mad at, so whenever they meet someone who is religious to any extent they act like jerks

It is too bad that people are like that...it gives a bad name to other atheists who care for others and try to live a good life, even if that means without God.

personally, i was raised as a christian, but as i got older i started to question the logic behind the faith, and for whatever reason, it didn't make sense to me...but that doesn't mean i am going to hate the world just because i believe differently...i just think it is a shame that some people can be so closed-minded and mean like that
Posted by Pricetag 9 years ago
Pricetag
I just wanted to throw this out there. The problem with it is morals, it has nothing to do with the churches recognizing the marriages it has to do with the state recognizing the marriages and allowing homosexuals the same rights to insurance, hospital visits, adoption, etc. that heterosexuals enjoy. The state can not force its will on the church and is not trying to. Homosexuals want the state to recognize them as equals. I just wanted to clear that up for y'all.
Vote Placed by Mharman 1 week ago
Mharman
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by zsavi524 9 years ago
zsavi524
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by Mallory89 9 years ago
Mallory89
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by gonovice 9 years ago
gonovice
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by Phil 9 years ago
Phil
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by Pricetag 9 years ago
Pricetag
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by Curtispov11 9 years ago
Curtispov11
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by jlholtzapple 9 years ago
jlholtzapple
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by Lacan 9 years ago
Lacan
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied
Vote Placed by tjzimmer 9 years ago
tjzimmer
Curtispov11tjzimmerTied