jazzyfizzle
Paradigm_Lost

why is public school not getting enough opertunitys

jazzyfizzle

Pro

i believe that public schools are not getting enough books and enough opportunity to excel like in my school which is a public school if we do something that worth rewarding then we will never get recognized for it...but if a school that the majority is white....they will get front paper in the new before they even realize what we did....like recant, my school had a a big fight that went way out of control and people got hurt and bruised go 20 seconds on the new..so u may realize that know will ever realize that our school is in major help in the school master men, A little altercation happen in the new..they got top story..and that only because mayor nutter daughter goes there and i rally don't think that is fair.
Paradigm_Lost

Con

While I agree that the public school system is basically a joke in the United States, I don't see the central issue being a lack of funding. The problem is American society itself.

Case in point: If you look at statistics around the globe, you will see other nations who generate far less revenue are scholastically superior to Americans. That means they get less funding than us, yet do better. Why do you suppose that is?

Its because countries that haven't the luxury to be spoiled make do with what they have. Secondly, their work ethic is second to none. If American schools are doing poorly, dumping money in to it will not fix the problem since a lot of the problem is socially derived. Sure, it will help in some ways, I don't deny that. But it is not the central issue of why Americans are failing, especially since America produces the highest grossing income per capita in the world.

The central issue is that Americans have learned to be lazy over the past few decades, unappreciative, and apathetic. Fixing the problem starts at home, where parents, who are also lazy, unappreciative, and apathetic, are teaching their kids these same non-virtuous virtues. Americans need to break this cycle soon and come back to the roots upon which it was founded.
jazzyfizzle

Pro

you can not say that based on what some computer might say..come and observe one for ur self. If i would come to America, say from Africa and come to some of the public SCHOOLS..yes i would say that this is the best school ever..but for someone who is currently in a public school in Philadelphia would not say that..and the issue is cause of the lack of money and the fact that the city will not give us but so much money. And putting more money will not hurt it..it would make it better...so clearly you are not the right person to debate this topic..you are clearly one educated in this topic
Paradigm_Lost

Con

My opponent says, "you can not say that based on what some computer might say..come and observe one for ur self."

I have. I was in the public school system in Miami. My daughter is now in the Los Angeles public school system right now. And of course I have serious concerns, however, more money isn't the answer to all of the problems. More money won't make a kid want to participate. If society wants its youth to care, then it is going to have to instill principles in them that will want to make them excel.

My opponent says, "putting more money will not hurt it..it would make it better."

What evidence is there that it would? Though it is the person making the claims' burden to support their assertion, there is evidence to the contrary.

http://www.hoover.org...

"so clearly you are not the right person to debate this topic..you are clearly one educated in this topic"

That doesn't make any sense? Because I have some insight on the topic, that doesn't make me the right person for the debate?
jazzyfizzle

Pro

clearly i was right..a public school in Philadelphia and in Los Angeles and in Miami is totally different...maybe there might be some of the same problem..u say install some principles in the students....that's will make it better...and some some levels i agree. but that has to come from the parents...not the school and i think that money is the major problem..in my sociology class we are still working of a book that was once new...but in 1998...and it is now 2008...and u can ask any teacher if the text books was different then the teachings would be different...students know when some on care and giving them text book from 1998 wont help they can feel when a teacher is there just for a pay check and they can feel when they really care....ask any student and you'll get the same answers as u can see, your experience met nothing .because if u did you would have never debated me on this topic....
Paradigm_Lost

Con

My opponent says, "a public school in Philadelphia and in Los Angeles and in Miami is totally different."

How is it different? All three are urban schools filled with the same types of problems.

"students know when some on care and giving them text book from 1998 wont help they can feel when a teacher is there just for a pay check and they can feel when they really care."

I totally agree with you here. I firmly believe that there are a lot of good teachers out there, but others are there for a pay check. When the bell rings, they are out the gates and in their car. I would also agree that teachers get payed crap, and this needs to change.

"ask any student and you'll get the same answers as u can see, your experience met nothing .because if u did you would have never debated me on this topic."

I don't want you to misunderstand me. I think any school can benefit with an increase of money, however, I don't believe it is going to change the behavior of kids.

You mention that you are taking a sociology class. The central issue, in my opinion, not with lack of funding. I maintain this opinion because I have seen numerous third-world countries with higher test scores than American students on far less money.

Its certainly not because American students are dumb. Its because of the culture. This culture is breeding laziness. What American high school students know versus what their counterparts all around the world know is shocking. It proves a shocking ignorance on the part of American students.

Sociology would quickly determine the reason why that is, and it has nothing to do with money, and everything to do with culture.

In any case, it was a good topic and it was a pleasure debating you. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts in the future. And lastly, best of luck to you and your school! Regardless, I hope the Philly school district will increase funds. Take care.
jazzyfizzle

Pro

well ok...u say its the culture....ok in a way i can agree..cause i seen a good teacher get taking advantage of just about every day...but i guess i debated my topic..public schools is not getting enough attention....u u proved it to weather u wanted to or not....u are a grate debater, take care.
Paradigm_Lost

Con

Paradigm_Lost forfeited this round.
Posted by draxxt 9 years ago
draxxt
I do believe you might've needed some tutoring, pro, for you obviously have some grammar issues. Review the title.
Posted by rshortman 9 years ago
rshortman
Paradigm's right, more funding isn't necessarily the answer. It might help if school could start teaching math, science and english (as observed by jazzyfizzle's despicable grammar) as opposed to pushing self-esteem rheoteric that produces mass quantities of ill-educated, spoiled brats with an inflated sense of entitlement.
Posted by Darth_Grievous_42 9 years ago
Darth_Grievous_42
Jazzyfizzle, you do realize there is a spell check button?
Posted by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
Eliminate the dept of education in the federal govt. That will be the first step in improving public schools. The dept of education is filled with a bunch of policy waunks with bad social engineering ideas for education.
Vote Placed by revleader5 9 years ago
revleader5
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied
Vote Placed by jiffy 9 years ago
jiffy
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied
Vote Placed by b3rk 9 years ago
b3rk
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied
Vote Placed by jazzyfizzle 9 years ago
jazzyfizzle
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied
Vote Placed by draxxt 9 years ago
draxxt
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied
Vote Placed by Oolon_Colluphid 9 years ago
Oolon_Colluphid
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied
Vote Placed by Bitz 9 years ago
Bitz
jazzyfizzleParadigm_LostTied