ashia45
birdtrainer88

why should teens not be able to vote

ashia45 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

ashia45

Con

why should teens note be able to vote 16 and plus should be able to vote that's might help the world better some people that vote are just slobs who sit on their couch in a junkie house watching movies and and eating take out then they take one day out of their year to go vote on who ever they guess has a better name kids are not like that my cousin whose a boy and my cousin whose a girl they are twins and they have been telling me this since 5 th grade they are both 16 now but anyways they say that barock was a good president and trump is not that we need to do something then they said I should of went up their and voted with fake id or something cause trump is the worst thing to happen to us since mile Cyrus and their right help us to
birdtrainer88

Pro

Hello. I'll use this round to make some opening statements concerning why youth should not be permitted to vote. I presume you are talking about the United States due to the mention of President Trump's name, and I also presume that by "teens" you refer to 16 and 17 year-olds, not those who are 18 or 19 (as they are already eligible to vote).

First of all, these individuals do not pay taxes, with the exception of sales taxes on products they buy. As such, giving such individuals the vote would be in a way a violation of "taxation without representation"; you're giving them representation without taxation, while taxpayers have to vote and pay taxes.

Moreover, such individuals are overall inexperienced, unschooled and bad decision makers.

Posted by matthewbman 1 week ago
matthewbman
I believe that teens should not be able to vote. To start off, teenagers are not the most informed group of people when it comes to politics. Most of them do not know what is going on in the real world. They do not have much, if any experience in the real world. I believe they would not be able to make very good decisions because they will not analyze all aspects of their vote. From ages 16 to 18, there is so much maturity that happens, and you really learn a lot. The political intelligence of a 16 year old compared to an 18 year old is very different. I also believe that you should be able to vote when you turn 18 because of the legal rights you are given. When you are 18, you are given many more responsibilities such as being tried as an adult and serving on a jury. I believe you should only be able to vote when you have all the rights and responsibilities of an adult. If you are voting as a teen, you are probably voting for something that won't even affect you because you don't have the legal right to any of it. Therefore, you are voting for something you cant even use.
Posted by megan201821 1 week ago
megan201821
I am a teenager, and I do not support teenagers voting, however there are a lot of weak and unnecessary arguments for reasons as to why they should not be able to vote. I agree with the fact that teenagers aren't mature enough, however, some are very mature, and some are more mature than most adults. Maturity should not be a deciding factor because maturity is different from person to person. Most teenagers do not know much about politics, but this is mainly because they are not taught much (if not anything) about politics (which is something that can easily be changed). 18 years of age is the age that citizens are able to vote, however the argument about taxation (no taxation without representation) does not apply to many 18 year olds, so this argument has its downfalls also. I mainly agree with the 'adult age' being 18 because it is an age which most people begin to find their independence and begin to see what life is like to live on their own. I understand that this does not apply to many 18 year olds, however it is a general idea, and it is what the law is now. 18 years of age is a perfect age to be able to vote.
Posted by Nd2400 1 week ago
Nd2400
Because most 16 and 17 years old are immature. And most teenages not interested in politics. And older people won't vote stupid, they educated themselves before they vote.