would you rather have a (pro for) car or a (con for) motorcycle

Started: 11/22/2014 Category: Cars

Cars are neat, I like them a lot and I've been fortunate to have had a few nice ones, but motorcycles have a long list of advantages over their 4 wheel cousins.

In my experience, if you like bikes, there's a good chance you appreciate cars, trucks, boats and airplanes, too, not all to the same degree but a particularly nice example of any motor driven vehicle can bring on a smile. Eventually, though, most of us have to choose among the categories if we're going to invest our resources on one or two vehicles (or more) and when the choice has to be made, motorcycles have a lot to offer.

Here's my personal list. It might vary from one person to another, your list might have items I haven't thought of, but I think these give you some food for thought.

1. You can fit 3 or 4 bikes into the space occupied by one car. Make maximum use of a small garage, buy motorcycles.

2. Motorcycles use less gas. 30 miles per gallon is on the low end and smaller engines can get triple digit mileage.

3. Motorcycles outperform cars. Sure, some exotic cars can keep up with a Hayabusa, but not many and the cost is usually 10 or 20 times the cost of the bike, or more.

4. You can rebuild a motorcycle if you're mechanically inclined, you don't have to do very much body work. Not being particularly skilled in body and paint, I appreciate this one.

5. Motorcycles cost less. Even classics and collector bikes can often be purchased for the price of a very plain used car.

6. Motorcycle riders are safer, they don't text on their phones while riding.

7. Motorcycle riding can be really cozy. If you want to be a little closer to your passenger, brake a little quicker for the next stop. ;-)

8. Motorcycle riding gets you out in the fresh air. Smell real pine trees, not the scent of a pine shaped deodorizer hanging from the mirror.

9. Motorcycle riding develops your coordination and balance. Brake and clutch levers for your hands, brake and shift gears with your feet, learn to balance at slow speeds, many drivers could never do it.

10. Best of all, there has never been a recall for unintended motorcycle acceleration.

That's a start, how many more reasons can you add

1. Motorcycles are dangerous. There are around 4000 deaths per year by people riding motorcycles.

2. Cars can fit more people in them then motorcycles.

3. You can store stuff in your car.

4. Some cars can be cheaper or as cheap as a motorcycle. (Of course I must be honest, it won't be the best car ever.)

5. You can lock your car. This means that your car won`t be stolen as easy then a motorcycle. Also, again, you can put stuff in your car to keep it safe.

6. You don`t have the wind blowing in your face when while your in a car. I don`t know about you, but when I ride on my motorcycle at high speeds the wind can be annoying.

7. After a while of riding a motorcycle, your back can hurt, whereas in a car, you are pretty much sitting up the whole time.

8. You can talk to people in the car, either in person or Bluetooth.

9. You can hear your radio/Bluetooth in your car better.

10. Cars go faster. Many cars go faster than most motorcycles. This is important if you need to get somewhere faster.

11. Fewer people are able to work on motorcycles, whereas many people know how to work on cars.

Good topic dude, also most of my sources are on experience. Thanks.

Everyone knows that in a crash motorcycle riders usually come off worse than car drivers. Riders avoid some problems, like being trapped in a burning or sinking car, but in general an accident that dents a car can put a motorcyclist in hospital. However motorcycle fear is often based on rumor or reports, not actual experience. It is guilt by association.

Guilt by Association

A friend once told me she didn"t like motorcycles as her brother was killed on one. When I asked how, she said he stopped at an accident, got off his bike, and was struck by a car as he walked over to help! I wondered, "Well, couldn"t the same have happened if he had been in a car?" This guilt by association ignores the fact that lots of people who drive cars also die. It is a "fixed attitude", that just associates motorcycles with danger. Like many other fixed attitudes, it is often reinforced by the media. It is hard to see the reality amidst the smoke of false fears, worries and imaginations.

A motorcycle is safer than a car if it is less likely to have an accident in the first place
But safety also depends on how likely you are to have an accident in the first place. I find motorcycles safer because one can better avoid accidents on them. In a car, I feel safe because I have protection, but on a motorcycle I feel safer because I have more options. A motorcycle is safer than a car if it is less likely to have an accident in the first place. That the careless can kill themselves more easily on a motorcycle is not denied. However what about competent riders? Competent riders are less likely to have accidents because they:

See more
Evade better
Attend more
Assume less
Do motorcycles cause deaths?
The death rate for riders is higher than for drivers, but perhaps that is because so many motorcycle riders are young men, who are still developing risk awareness. It seems a hard thing to say, but were they not on motor-cycles, perhaps they just would kill themselves in some other activity, as young men and risk go together. But here is a puzzle. If the risk of riding is so high, how can some people ride motorcycles every day for decades? Even with a tiny risk, sooner or later, their number should come up. Yet such people exist, and I know, because I am one. If the risk of riding is so high, how can some people ride for thirty years and live? Safe riders prove that safety is no accident, and that motorcycle riding is not inevitably dangerous.

See more

A rider"s field of vision is further and wider than a car"s
A rider is usually higher than a car driver, and so has a better view. A better view means you see danger earlier, and can avoid it better. Riders have no car body around them to create vision blind sports. Just turning their head gives a clear all round view. A bike can also move left or right in the lane for a better view, if a truck blocks your vision. A car driver in contrast must remain on the steering wheel side. A motorcycle rider"s field of vision is further and wider than that of a car. When I drive a car, I feel I have a much more constricted field of view.

The ability to see more lets you avoid more. If a person in a car three cars ahead stops suddenly, as a rider, I see it earlier, and have more time to make adjustments, to avoid a crash. If seeing danger first means avoiding it better, a motorcycle is safer.

Evade better

A motor-cycle has evasion options not available to a car
A motorcycle is smaller than a car, and so less of a target to be hit. Being smaller, it also has more places to go safely. If the car ahead stops suddenly, the car behind must hit it. Highway pile-ups occur because cars in a lane have nowhere to go in sudden stop. However a bike can swerve to the side, or fit between two cars on a many lane highway. It can pull onto the safety shoulder if necessary. A motor-cycle has evasion options not available to a car. It can accelerate better out of a trouble situation. In nearly every situation, a motorcycle has more evasive choices, because it is smaller and more mobile. In terms of accident evasion, bikes are safer.

Attend more

When the body is right there, the brain tends to be right there with it
There is something about traveling at high speed a few feet above hard ground that gets your attention. When the body is right there, the brain tends to be right there with it. By comparison, a driver is separated from the world by the car body, air-conditioning and comfort. Drivers are distracted from the road by:

Coffee and food
Talking on cell-phones
Listening to the radio
Talking to passengers
Adjusting seats or windows
Disciplining children
Adjusting make-up
Inattention is the main cause of road accidents
Perhaps shaving is uncommon, but the others happen all the time. Studies show that inattention is the main cause of road accidents. You only have so much attention. Attending to one thing degrades your attention to another. Distractions reduce your attention to the road, which leads to accidents. Cars have many distractions, but on a motorcycle, it is just you and the road. Motorcycles are safer because they increase attention and reduce distractions.

Driven to distraction
One has visions of some driver talking on a cell-phone, while listening to and adjusting the radio, turning to look back at a child, with a cup of coffee in the other hand. My personal dislike is soccer Mums in big SUVs trying ineffectively to discipline rowdy children in the back seat while driving. Kids are the most effective distraction machines every invented. Its much better to stop the car and deal with them.

Assume less

Life insurance should be called what it really is - death insurance
People driving large vehicles with life insurance think they are "safe". Life insurance should be called what it really is - death insurance. Then people would understand it better. Money cant replace life. You don't really have insurance (in the sense of replacing what you had).

Car safety features cannot avoid the "nut behind the wheel" problem. Safer cars are no use if people are more careless. If drivers with anti-skid brakes just drive faster in the rain, what is the safety benefit? The accident rate depends as much on attitude as on mechanical safety features. Motorcycles create a better attitude, because on a motorcycle, you know you are vulnerable. No matter how big the motorcycle, what happens is likely to happen to you, personally. Motorcycle riders assume less, which makes a motorcycle safer than a car.

The Anti-SUV mentality

There are two approaches to avoiding accidents:

The SUV mentality: Have accidents, but avoid the results.
The Anti-SUV mentality: Avoid accidents entirely
For every big vehicle, there is a bigger one
America"s current approach is the first - buy cars so big you are unhurt in a crash. But for every big vehicle, there is a bigger one. If your Mercedes meets a truck/trailer combine, you will be crushed whatever your safety rating. Metal is not a cure for carelessness. While SUVs seem safe, studies show they tip easily, maneuver poorly, waste petrol, hog the road, make bigger targets, and overfill parking spaces.

If we all drove in tanks, would the roads be safer?
Whatever the metal around you, a bigger vehicle can always penetrate it. The SUV mentality tries to put a metal barrier between you and the world, so others (not you) pay the price of accidents. The result is a vehicle arms race, where everyone drives bigger cars. That big vehicles also cause more damage is ignored. If we all drove around in main battle tanks, would the roads be safer? SUV drivers would insulate themselves from the world, but that is not a good way to go.

The goal is to avoid accidents, not to "safely" have them
Motorcycle riders follow the Anti-SUV mentality, which is to avoid accidents entirely. The "strength" of a motorcycle is its flexibility, not its invulnerability. The goal is to avoid accidents, not to "safely" have them. I prefer the attentive but unprotected motorcycle rider any day over a careless SUV driver. The anti-SUV mentality is not only about saving petrol, it is also an attitude to life, a willingness to be responsible for your own acts.

Bigger is better?

Americans have a fixed idea that to ride a motorcycle you have to be big, strong and tough. Yet in countries like Italy, Malaysia or New Zealand, everyone rides: young and old, men and women. Young women ride motorcycles and scooters all around Rome. In Kuala Lumpur, everyone rides motorcycles everywhere. These countries dont have the same fear mentality regarding motorcycles as America does, and they don't see size as the solution. On a motorcycle, size doesn't matter. What matters is your ability to see risk.

Riding a motorcycle is safer than driving a car because riders see more, evade better, are more attentive, and assume less. The rider has higher stakes, but if they ride safely, are less likely to have an accident in the first place.

Hello, I would like to start off with saying that a motorcycles do not have a greater vision field, due to that if you are wearing a safe helmet, you can't see past too far of your left or right. Also, if you aren't wearing a helmet, if you fall off your motorcycle, you are sure to get a head injury.

Now, to the issue of evading. If you swerve too much, you can possibly lose control of the wheel. Also, you could possibly roll over.

People that are good drivers in the car do not get distracted by the things you listed. Of course people in motorcycles don't have those things to worry about. People in motorcycles, however, might get distracted by an itch, too tight of a helmet, an untied shoe, or even something falling out of their pocket. Even though motorcycles don't have all the distractions of a car, they do have their own distractions.

Now, also, I've seen motorcycle drivers drive crazy before, but I do have to say I've seen just about as many people in cars drive as crazy as some of those motorcycle drivers. Their are good drivers, and their are bad.

Thank you, and your turn.

coolkid1231 forfeited this round.

Con has forfeit this round, therefor I will just tell you again, cars are better than motorcycles.

coolkid1231 forfeited this round.

Dear people, vote pro!

coolkid1231 forfeited this round.

Please vote pro.
Posted by coolkid1231 1 year ago
they are safer than cars. And welcome.
Posted by Max.Wallace 1 year ago
The Con is a con, on the street, motorcycles are faster then cars, and his dangerous argument is fear mongering, they are probably espousing global warming. Mighty cold here, every other day, and the 4 wheelers wish to make the bikers cry.
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 1 year ago
Vote Placed by WillRiley 1 year ago