FalseReality
left_wing_mormon

yes is better than no

Con Tied Pro

FalseReality

Con

No is better. This is 5 rounds so I'll let mPro make all his/her/it's statements first. Please don't accept this debate unless you plan to see it the whole way through.
left_wing_mormon

Pro

The concept of Yes is really a positive word. Through out it's (the word "yes" being it, ofcourse) use, we find that it is used when one is in agreement with others, one agrees for something more, and/or avoids conflict.

"Isn't John Mayer a great guitar player" one friend asked the other.

"Yes, he is." Replies his friend. So you can see in this small example the mood of these friends is still positive and happy.

When his friend says "No." the conversation switches to an agrumentitive atmosphere.

"No" in it's nature is used to disagree and argue. So in all, "Yes" is better when used in conversation.

(Note: I'm not saying "No" is not important. As we know on this site the word "No" is important when in debate. My point here is to say that "Yes" is "better" for communication.)
FalseReality

Con

No. No is better. Why? Because it establishes what you want. Yes is submissing yourself to another's viewpoint, but no makes you an individual. Take food for example. Do you like asparagus? what about fried pigs feet? or just dog, do you like eating dog? If you answered no to any of these I've proved my point, this means either vocally or mentally. You can write 'yeah, I said I liked them all' but the only thing that you probably could honestly say you maybe agree with is asparagus. But if it happens you do like them theres a plethora of others I could name. But supposing you did say 'no' you actually thought about yourself. You looked semi-deep and defined who you are, a man who doesn't like these types of food. If you said yes you did not define yourself according to your will but mine by agreeing with me statement. Agreement makes you a servant while rebellion makes you a you.

Now I could list political, entertainment, personal, etc things too but I don't need that much detail.

Now to your example about the concert conversation. Perhaps the friend does not like John Mayer, but is more extreme and prefers Maralin Manson. In truth, he detests John Mayer so much he has a personal voodoo shrine devoted just to him. So in saying yes' he not only lied to himself but you as well. Yes then bred distrust, whether you realized it or not. You don't go more into it but suppose you went to a concert, and again your comadre dishonestly says 'yes, I want to go'. He didn't want to hurt your feelings but now his are hurt. You didn't really care about him or what he might actually like but yourself. During the concert to him it is like scratching nails on a chalkboard, and as it progresses more and more contempt grows for you in his heart. Until finally after the concert where you keep saying how great it was he finally explodes on you! This ruins your friendship. Truth or politness? It might make better conversation for one party, but not necessarily both. So while it seems positive on the outside, yes has more potential to do harm than no.
left_wing_mormon

Pro

No may express some sort of individuality, but yes leads to unity. Sure, many people say yes just to give in to some one else, but there are many people who say no only to start an argument. Ofcourse I don't like pigs feet or straight up dog, I said no. But using no to identify to yourself is different than using no in a conversation.

When discussing the weather of the past day one says "it was very cloudy." But his friend says "No, it wasn't cloudy at all." This little exchange is my premises. No, by it's nature leads to disagreement and makes for an uncomfortable conversation. Yes is a symbol of agreement. To say yes, only to "fit in" or to conform is wrong. But saying "no", by the words nature, means to create confrontation.

So we must agree on the contest in which "No" and "Yes" are being used to decide, in fact which is "better".
FalseReality

Con

Unity on a lie in many more cases than not. It would be better to lie than open up the possibility of hurting yourself, and even worse, the lie-ee to any of the reprecussions.

But in conversation No has good purposes too. It confirms things better than yes does. For instance: "do you remember the last homework assignment?"
If yes: "what is it?" suppose you don't really know, then both yours and their time is wasted waiting for you to either remember or admit your folly. If you do, then they'll ask questions in regard to it, many, even if you had the homework, you may not know. If you do know then they'll want more help with other things and so on.
If No: "Okay then" and someone else can go through all that.

Disagreement is also not a bad thing, as disagreement brings out problems, and thus solutions for that problem. Even if you did get into an argumet, surely many problems would be address, thus giving both of you insight into ways to possibly better yourself and them. But if you just agree, nothing will go unchanged and ultimatly deteriorate yourself rather than help.

No is also the cause of revolution. Suppose the French had not started the revolution, or better yet America. Rather they both continued to abide by their corrupt and harmful governments. Both countries would be worse of. America being the closest for both of us, would be no where near the superpower it is today, but would probably end up like India, who DID continue to obey the conquering British. But that didn't happen. Someone finally said NO and conflict broke out, which in the end brought more properity than EVER!

I do agree with that proposition, but still affirm that NO is better, because unlike submissive Yes, No leads to honesty and improvement.
left_wing_mormon

Pro

left_wing_mormon forfeited this round.
FalseReality

Con

Because I'm not scum, I won't add to my argument until left_wing_mormon has made his rebuttal, but still say that no is better than yes.
left_wing_mormon

Pro

left_wing_mormon forfeited this round.
FalseReality

Con

Well this debate is over. No is still better than yes. I'll let Pros comment reply count. Duck ducks duckies.
left_wing_mormon

Pro

I'm sorry I was a dead opponet at the end here. The debate is over, but when someone asks you if you enjoyed this debate, I hope you say...Yes.
Posted by British_Guy 9 years ago
British_Guy
I must respectfully say that I disagree with some of FalseReality's basic premises.

First of all, the idea that agreement makes one a slave, and disagreement makes one free. In fact, Contrarianism (always disagreeing), instead of making one free, forces one to perpetually take the other side. Someone who always says no is not free to make their own opinion, but becomes a slave to bitter (and often pointless) debates.

You also assume (and use examaples stating) that every time you say yes, you are telling a lie. But whether or not the statement is a lie and whether or not the statement is in agreement or contention are too entirely different ideas.

In fact, saying no could just as easily be a lie as saying yes, so the damage done by telling a lie (about a concert or anything else) has nothing to do with what the resonse actually was, but whether or not it was entirely factual.

False reality also said that no affirms things better than yes does. But no doesn't affirm anything at all. Whereas by saying "yes" (if it is not a lie) you have a definite answer, saying "no" means nothing at all. It could mean an almost infinite number of things.

"Do you like asparagus?"
"No." (I hate asparagus)
"No." (I LOVE asparagus)
"No." (I am allergic to asparagus, but like the taste.)

I could go on and on and on and on.

I would just like to end by saying that agreeing with someone does NOT make one weak or pathetic, but instead establishes common ground and respect.
Posted by The_Philosopher 9 years ago
The_Philosopher
Catholic Church: the sun goes around the earth!
Galileo: NO!!! the earth goes around the sun!!!

Nazis: are you hiding any Jews? (Anne Frank) ?
Miep Gies: No!

King Nebuchadnezzar: worship my idol!
Daniel: No!
Posted by jazzyfizzle 9 years ago
jazzyfizzle
hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahha...u're a loser
Posted by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
I'm sorry, I believe I just screwed my opponet over. See, I'm still in high school, and my mom took my computer away so I can "improve my grades". So yeah, it's lame I know, but I'm grounded from the computer for the next several weeks. I am using my moms computer to write this, she is not home. I never get this sort of oppurtunity, so...

Thanks for the debate, and as I still believe "yes" is in fact better than "no", I must forfeit the debate at hand to my opponet.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 9 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
Holy crap, I think this is the first time I read a debate on this site that actually convinced me of something I wasn't already convinced of... and it's not even done yet. Great job falsereality. :D.

Of course it helped that left_wing decided to use the word "unity" for his argument... After all, what's unity but giving humanity a single neck so you can cut it?
Posted by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
Just to let you know I will be gone saturday and sunday this weekend...so try not to post until the very last minute you can so I can have a chance to respond
Posted by left_wing_mormon 9 years ago
left_wing_mormon
Sorry, my friend.

I didn't post in time..But I'm still in this to the end!
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by gahbage 9 years ago
gahbage
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by oboeman 9 years ago
oboeman
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by Phoebe 9 years ago
Phoebe
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by RainhaDoViolino 9 years ago
RainhaDoViolino
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by xmetalheadx2009 9 years ago
xmetalheadx2009
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by CharmingAnecdote 9 years ago
CharmingAnecdote
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by CHS 9 years ago
CHS
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied
Vote Placed by CP 9 years ago
CP
FalseRealityleft_wing_mormonTied