Np
ResponsiblyIrresponsible

yes macs or no pcs

ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Started: 2/12/2015 Category: Technology

Np

Pro

Are macs better than PCs?
ResponsiblyIrresponsible

Con

I accept. The burden of proof is on PRO to prove that macs are objectively better than PC's.
Np

Pro

Np forfeited this round.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible

Con

Extend. Vote CON.
Np

Pro

Np forfeited this round.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible

Con

Extend.

Vote CON.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
The comments are turning a dull debate into one to watch. Kick it off!
Posted by ResponsiblyIrresponsible 2 years ago
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
@Yassine: Are you seriously suggesting that you were able to "hurt my feelings" by questioning my assessment of the BOP on an internet debate without material reward? No, you didn't hurt my feelings, nor could you - but that doesn't mean that opining as you did was appropriate at this time. There's a time and place for everything and now isn't that time.

Most of what I said is "no argument".....there's no meaning in the English language for that at all. No, the BOP is *not* impossible to uphold, and this again reflects your misunderstanding. You're actually suggesting that there isn't a way to make quantitative - or objective - distinctions, which is patently absurd. That's the underpinning of persuasions, and is heavily predicated on framework analysis and how best to weigh arguments. It's completely and entirely removed from "the sun sets at sunrise" because there's a verifiable, scientific answer for that. No framework analysis at all can explain that away, nor would you need a criteria in order to account for that.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
Silly.
Posted by YassineB 2 years ago
YassineB
- Sorry I hurt your feelings, it wasn't my intention. It's just that your shifting of the BOP sounded unreasonable so I commented, am I not allowed to comment?!

- Plus, most of what you said is no argument, & the BOP is indeed impossible to uphold, because your condition is an incoherent one, it's like saying: "the BOP is on X to prove that the Sun sets at sunrise", you can't possibly be defending something, based on merits, & shift the goal posts to objectiveness.

- Either way, it'll be interesting to see what will Pro do, if you succeed in holding on to the BOP shift, then you probably deserve to win after all. I am gonna shut up now. :)

Best of luck.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
@UndeniableReality: It is inappropriate, because the debate is ongoing - and a core focus of discussion in said debate will be burden of proof, so the two of you opining on this obfuscates the purposes of holding a debate on it. It's the equivalent of me finding a debate I like and typing out a slew of arguments in favor of my preferred side of the resolution.

Your analysis of what constitutes the BOP is completely and utterly flawed, and exposes your own misconception of the resolution - never has the title of a debate *ever* defaulted to the resolution, especially when PRO himself poses a question in his first argument that would yield a completely different burden analysis.

You're only causing yourself to appear foolish, in much the same way as Yassine, so I suggest you hold your comments until this debate is over.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
@ResponsiblyIrresponsible
Discussing BoP is not at all inappropriate, in my opinion.
And I agree with Yassine. You do have a BoP here. You accepted the position of "PCs are better than Macs". That is a positive claim that entails a BoP. If the debate was "Macs are better than PCs", then I would agree that you do not have the BoP.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible
@YassineB: I have a few comments.

First, you are not engaged in this debate, so opining on an issue *related* to the contents of debate, and effectively arguing with me - to what end, I don't know - is grossly inappropriate.

Second, as anyone will tell you, the discussion over who possesses the BOP is determined in the contents of the debate - meaning that PRO himself will need to challenge my contention that he retains the burden,

Third, you are flat wrong in claiming that it is "implied" that the burden is shared. Moreover, your misconception is in defaulting to the title for the resolution, when in PRO's opening round, he simply laid out a statement -- "Are macs better than PCs?" -- with an affirmative and negative answer, in which case he must prove that X > Y, and I must prove either that this isn't the case, or that X = Y or Y > X are still on the table.

Fourth, it does make sense. There are objective gradations of quality - for instance, if my business earns $5 instead of $4, with a profit margin of 10% instead of 1%, it is objectively better at earning profits. That it does not make sense *to you* does not mean that it doesn't make sense.

It's not an impossible BOP, by any means, though an admittedly difficult one, but you are in no place to step in - as a bystander - and make that claim for PRO while the debate is still ongoing and when he, not I, have set the parameters of this resolution. I highly suggest you cease posting, and we can have a discussion on this later on, after the debate is over.
Posted by YassineB 2 years ago
YassineB
@ ResponsiblyIrresponsible

- I disagree, Yes Macs, No PCS, are both claims, & they both should carry the BOP. Pro needn't specify whose is is the BOP, for that's clear from the Resolution itself: the BOP is shared.

- Plus, "macs are objectively better than PCs" doesn't make any sense, & that's an impossible BOP, by design.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
NpResponsiblyIrresponsibleTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
NpResponsiblyIrresponsibleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Beginner 2 years ago
Beginner
NpResponsiblyIrresponsibleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Lol. Such noob snipe.
Vote Placed by 1harderthanyouthink 2 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
NpResponsiblyIrresponsibleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited every round and thus failed to meet the BoP