you cannot find three bible verses that contradict each other

people like to say the bible is full of contradiction. i'd like to test that challenge

I will give you 5 contradictions, two links to websites full of even more contradictions, and finally an interactive webpage that lets you click on an impressive graphic that links thousands of biblical contradictions together.

Note that the 5 I list are ones I actually vetted. The websites have some dubious contradictions, so I rejected some and just picked the first 5 I found that seemed pretty solid. The interactive site gives the exact verses so it is clear when they are showing a contradiction.

God can be seen and heard(and is basically a dude walking around)
God has never been seen or heard by anyone but Jesus

God can never be tired and needs no rest
God got tired and needed rest

God knows what is in everyone's "heart"
God does not know what is in everyone's heart(he had to test Abraham to find out)

God can do anything
God is thwarted by an iron chariot

God is merciless and basically a warlord
God is merciful to everyone and basically a hippie

Here is a really fun site for Biblical contradictions:

Just hover over any line in the chart and click for the contradictions. This is an extensive database of detailed biblical contradictions that provides you with thousands of contradictory verses.

1. god can sometimes take human form. that doesn't mean anyone has seen him in his real essence.

2. sunday as a rest day cause you want to, not cause you need it. same reason we take the sabbath day off.... we dont need to but it's good form.

3. god knew what he was going to do before he did it. he didn't have to test him, he tested him so the person can see what they are made of.

4. just because god is 'with you' doesn't mean everything you do is perfect and invincible.

5. a person can be vengeful and merciful, that's just different aspects of their personality, it doesn't mean they are a contradiction.

I am sorry, but these rebuttals are basically just rewriting the Bible to remove contradictions.

1) This is a no true scotsman fallacy. The quote from John clearly states that no one except for Jesus has seen or heard God. It does not specify "in his real essence". The other quote has God covering a guy's eyes and talking to him from behind.

"When faced with a counterexample to a universal claim ("no Scotsman would do such a thing"), rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule"

2) You cannot be refreshed if you were never tired. Refreshed literally means that you have regained your strength/stamina.

3) No. You are presenting something that is not in the bible.
"Do not lay a hand on the boy," he said. "Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son." God specified that it is himself who now knows that Abraham is loyal. He does not say that he has taught Abraham a lesson, he is clearly referring to himself learning something about Abraham.

4) What do you think it means to have God "with you"? If it just means he is observing, then he is with both you and your enemies. It only makes sense to claim he is with you specifically if he is on your side. If he is on your side and you fail, then it stands to reason that he was unable to thwart your enemy.

5) No. The Bible clearly states that he has mercy for EVERYONE and also claims that he has NO mercy for some people. This is equivalent to saying "All people have God's mercy" and then saying "some people do not have God's mercy". It cannot be the case that all of X are Y and simultaneously some X are not Y.

"And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them." IE he will have no mercy over these people.

"The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works." IE he has mercy over every person.

nothing more to say but to reiterate

I kind of feel like I was in a debate about whether or not bananas exist, presented my opponent with a banana, and was told that what I had handed her was actually an orange.

In any event, I thank my opponent for the debate since I always welcome debates about religion.