3.14
kbub

zero point nine repeating equals one

kbub

3.14

Pro

The topic of 0.9... = 1 has been debated for a long time. Even though there are many proofs showing the it is equal, people continue to say that they are not equal. I am interested in seeing some reasons why the equation is thought to be unequal.
kbub

Con

Technically speaking, "the limit" of 0.999 (9's repeated to infinity) approaches 1. In mathematics, we not use infinity directly to come out with an integer, except in special cases. Just as certain curves approach an asymptote but never reaches it, so 0.999 continues to move very close to 1 but never makes it. If this were not the case, 1/0 would equal infinity, but as it turns out the limit of 1/0 approaches infinity.
Additionally, if 0.9999 (9's repeated to infinity) equals 1, what about 0.7
3.14

Pro

A # does not approach anything. It is an amount. 0.999.... does not approach 1, it is 1. If you were to sit down and try to write out 0.9999999..., as you wrote each 9 you would get closer to 1. When you show that the # has infinite 9s the # doesn't approach 1, it is 1. 0.9 0.99 0.999 0.999 ... = 9/10 divided by the quantity of 1-(1/10). This is an infinite series. Also, there are infinite #s between two unequal #s but there are no #s between 0.9... and 1. Proves no smallest # greater than 1.
kbub

Con

I think I see what your getting at, but it doesn't quite equal 1. Although 0.99 infinity seems like a stagnant number, in mathematics we can't simply talk about infinity as measurable. I say that 0.999.... approaches one because, in another form, what you are saying can be made into a series: 0.9 + .009 +.0009 and onward. This approaches 1, but at any given point it is still less than one, which is why the LIMIT APPROACHES infinity. On graph, its a clear dot instead of a filled dot. Good debate!
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Thank you too! The character count simply added to the challenge and excitement of the debate. Thanks for debating, and fought!
Posted by 3.14 3 years ago
3.14
Sorry about the number or rounds and amount of characters. This is my first debate and I was not really sure how it all works. I am just glad for a good debate. Thank You
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
(Not to mention that the instigator chose for there to be a limited number of rounds with a very limited number of characters. Someone has to speak last, and it probably more fair for the contender to do so.)
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Its an understandable sentiment, but then the contender is obligated to respond, etc. It would be unfair for the contender to have won the debate but lost the voters due to the fact that there were comments. Additionally, there is a ton extra that I would have liked to say in the debate, but I could only use 500 characters. If one side uses the comments, they are able to bring up the equivalent of 4 rounds in this debate. I understand where you're coming from though!
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
I don't think it is unethical to say stuff in comments after a debate. After all, the instigator might still want to give a rebuttal to an argument given by the contender in the final round, and it is not fair if the voters never see that rebuttal. Especially if the final round argument was particularly convincing.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Thank you 3.14 for the great debate. I am concerned about your off round statements. It is unethical to attempt to add evidence and/or analysis for the voters in the comments section. Please refrain from doing so again.
Posted by 3.14 3 years ago
3.14
the Pro side definitely introduced more valid mathematical arguments. This debate was very intense. Even though Con had the final say, Pros argument was not defeated by Con's final statement. .9... is not approaching anything as Pro stated, it is a number. Con definitely tried to introduce some valid arguments but they were not mathematically valid as proving 0.9... not equal to 1. Pro introduced more valid arguments and proofs.
Vote Placed by PotBelliedGeek 3 years ago
PotBelliedGeek
3.14kbubTied
Reasons for voting decision: Cons math is more sound. Pro is identifying infinity as an integer, while by definition it is always changing.
Vote Placed by dtaylor971 3 years ago
dtaylor971
3.14kbubTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con wins due to the fact that she was right, and had better spelling and grammar.
Vote Placed by TheGhostOfFreedom 3 years ago
TheGhostOfFreedom
3.14kbubTied
Reasons for voting decision: Very good debate, I believe that pro had a better flow to his argument and the 0.7 question seemed irrelevant on Con's part.