Jump to topic:

Captain Beefheart

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 2:10:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Captain Beefheart was fvcking awesome. His music had balls, and a sense of humor to boot.

I listen to Trout Mask Replica everyday. It probably doesn't help my case to those who question my sanity.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:13:04 AM
When he passed away in December, I dedicated my whole musical output of January to him. 19 compositions.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:13:34 AM
Totally worthy of being the Discordian patron saint of music.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:23:58 AM
It reminds of this band:
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:30:11 AM
At 2/18/2011 3:23:58 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It reminds of this band:

Skip to 3:00 to hear the song.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 3:36:59 AM
At 2/18/2011 3:23:55 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Just being in the same room as Beefheart makes Letterman ridiculously uncomfortable.

At 2/18/2011 3:23:58 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It reminds of this band:

Yeah, except The magic band is not the worst band ever, doooood.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 8:26:05 AM
Beefheart was a don. Visionary musical genius and organiser who knew how to get the most from musicians even if it meant scarring them emotionally for life.

Playing three woodwind instruments at once, when you can't really play any of them properly takes real balls, pulling it off takes genius. Roland Kirk did do the multi woodwind thing better though.

One question though Alfonso, why is it that your topics on Bach and Beefheart are in the Arts section, while your topics on Hendrix and hip hop are in entertainment? Unconscious bias, intended distinction, or mere coincidence?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 8:35:55 AM
At 2/18/2011 8:26:05 AM, feverish wrote:
One question though Alfonso, why is it that your topics on Bach and Beefheart are in the Arts section, while your topics on Hendrix and hip hop are in entertainment? Unconscious bias, intended distinction, or mere coincidence?

LOL
President of DDO
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 2:48:10 PM
Nah, I honestly was just not sure where to post the topics.

Fine line between entertainment and art. A fine line that is pretty much non-existent.

I'll probably just post them all here from now on.

All the topics I posted in Entertainment could easily be here.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2011 2:50:49 PM
And I accidently posted the same video twice, so here is a new one
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 9:05:35 PM
More Beefheart, because why the hell not?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 8:39:36 PM
From the album "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"

The Discordian Patron Saint of Music strikes again.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2011 12:33:44 PM
The Discordian Patron Saint of Music strikes again.
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 9:39:29 AM
At 2/18/2011 2:48:10 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Fine line between entertainment and art. A fine line that is pretty much non-existent.

Tom Waits was extremely influenced by this guy
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Yarely
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 9:41:16 AM
At 8/3/2011 9:39:29 AM, Yarely wrote:
At 2/18/2011 2:48:10 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Tom Waits was extremely influenced by this guy

Woops I meant to reply to the forum
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 12:31:04 PM
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 12:37:34 PM
First and last tracks off of "Doc At The Radar Station".

fuggin great album.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 11:14:29 PM
Since no one here seems to be a fan of the amazing Captain Beefheart, here are a few covers that were done by other artists.

The White Stripes doing a cover off of "Doc At the Radar Station". The album that this comes off of is actually filled entirely with Beefheart songs done by the Stripes.

XTC doing a cover off of the "Trout Mask Replica" album.

Sonic Youth covering a track off of "Safe As Milk".

Red Hot Chili Peppers(Flea and John Frusciante) doing a cover off of "Lick My Decals off Baby".
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2011 12:34:21 AM
BEEFY
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:32:11 PM
A relatively recent(2003) concert featuring the music of Captain Beefheart done by ex members of the Magic Band(Beefheart's backing band).