Jump to topic:

Most annoying book turned film...

NervousGirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:23:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm doing some research into literature that has been made into a bad movie...maybe a bad book to start with turning into a film etc...

Some recent examples are: Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) by Phillip Pullman being made into a film called The Golden Compass

and

The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer being turned into a Film Series.

Which books that you like/dislike have been made into films?
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 12:25:13 PM
At 4/7/2011 4:23:00 AM, NervousGirl wrote:
I'm doing some research into literature that has been made into a bad movie...maybe a bad book to start with turning into a film etc...

Some recent examples are: Northern Lights (The Golden Compass) by Phillip Pullman being made into a film called The Golden Compass

and

Without going into likes/dislikes, here are some examples.

Choke by Chuck Palahnuik. The movie did not get the spirit of the book at all. Lifeless isn't the best word, but it's the first word that comes to mind.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Didn't even see the movie. The trailer was bad enough. The book has a certain "working out a philosophy" kind of vibe to it (given that it's written by a 20 year old) that is somewhat endearing. No idea if the movie has it, though I doubt that it has.

Many by Michael Crichton, notably Congo, Sphere and Timeline. One can lump in The Lost World too.

Dune by Frank Herbert. I feel sad with what has been squandered.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
NervousGirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:35:45 PM
At 4/7/2011 12:25:13 PM, Indophile wrote:

Choke by Chuck Palahnuik. The movie did not get the spirit of the book at all. Lifeless isn't the best word, but it's the first word that comes to mind.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Didn't even see the movie. The trailer was bad enough. The book has a certain "working out a philosophy" kind of vibe to it (given that it's written by a 20 year old) that is somewhat endearing. No idea if the movie has it, though I doubt that it has.

Many by Michael Crichton, notably Congo, Sphere and Timeline. One can lump in The Lost World too.

Thank you for your response, my favourite example which I neglected to put on this was the play/novel 'Pygmalion'...this was turned into a few adaptations called 'My Fair Lady'.
Thank you again
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 4:52:07 PM
I have never read the Eragon books, but going by what I've heard from people who have, the movie was terrible although on it's own it was decent.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 5:49:43 PM
I'm not having twilight as a bad film. The films in the series are, if anything, better than the books (which are pretty awesome themselves), and it's usually people who don't like either who criticise it as a bad film, or folks who think there's intellectual merit in putting your nose up to a "teen" movie. Trust me, I've watched a lot of films, and twilight is one of the better ones, especially given the initial budget. If success is anything to go by here, you're wrong outright.

As far as bad films from books, 1984 is the worst. The film is mediocre, while the book is probably the most important piece of fiction in the 20th century.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2011 8:33:02 PM
At 4/7/2011 5:49:43 PM, unitedandy wrote:
I'm not having twilight as a bad film. The films in the series are, if anything, better than the books (which are pretty awesome themselves), and it's usually people who don't like either who criticise it as a bad film, or folks who think there's intellectual merit in putting your nose up to a "teen" movie. Trust me, I've watched a lot of films, and twilight is one of the better ones, especially given the initial budget. If success is anything to go by here, you're wrong outright.

I'm yet to find anybody criticizing something they like........

The Twilight films are considered bad for many reasons, the main one being the acting, which, if you think reasonably, is a good starting point. Though you can say bad acting does not make a bad movie (Star Wars), it's more of an exception. So maybe it's you who is disgusted by people who are disgusted by "teen movies" not living up to intellectual expectations, which makes you think that the Twilight movies are good :)

As far as bad films from books, 1984 is the worst. The film is mediocre, while the book is probably the most important piece of fiction in the 20th century.
And it will be true.
ruelariat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2011 9:29:23 PM
I've read Eragon and watched the movie. The movie did not do it an ounce of justice in any shape or form, and that is probably the most butchered movie I've ever had the displeasure of watching.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 11:19:36 AM
At 4/9/2011 9:29:23 PM, ruelariat wrote:
I've read Eragon and watched the movie. The movie did not do it an ounce of justice in any shape or form, and that is probably the most butchered movie I've ever had the displeasure of watching.

Truth. The movie left out half of the characters and the entire growth period of Saphira. I'm not entirely convinced that the director actually read the book.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 3:55:12 PM
At 4/7/2011 8:33:02 PM, Indophile wrote:

I'm yet to find anybody criticizing something they like........

The Twilight films are considered bad for many reasons, the main one being the acting, which, if you think reasonably, is a good starting point. Though you can say bad acting does not make a bad movie (Star Wars), it's more of an exception. So maybe it's you who is disgusted by people who are disgusted by "teen movies" not living up to intellectual expectations, which makes you think that the Twilight movies are good :)

Again, this is something I've heard, but having watched the films numerous times, I don't see it. The acting in the lead roles is pretty darn good, and compared with similar films such as Harry potter or percy jackson, it's not even in the same league. Maybe it's because the things that I am interested in get touched on quite a bit in twilight, but then again, the film release is probably going to be bigger than any other film this year, so it's hardly of little interest. It's probably most annoying to people who haven't bothered to watch or read twilight, yet think they can give an opinion on it.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 7:42:38 PM
At 4/10/2011 3:55:12 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Again, this is something I've heard, but having watched the films numerous times, I don't see it. The acting in the lead roles is pretty darn good, and compared with similar films such as Harry potter or percy jackson, it's not even in the same league. Maybe it's because the things that I am interested in get touched on quite a bit in twilight, but then again, the film release is probably going to be bigger than any other film this year, so it's hardly of little interest. It's probably most annoying to people who haven't bothered to watch or read twilight, yet think they can give an opinion on it.

1. The acting was terrible in Twilight. I was forced to see the first one with my little sister... Remember the scene when Bella first enters the science room and stops in front of the fan to look at Edward? Her hair is blowing and she looks like she was just electrocuted. I didn't know whether to laugh or puke. Through the entire movie, Bella looks terrified and Edward looks constipated. He's an angsty little twat -- and the amount of CGI used on his face was incredible. Overall, the acting was crap... Just like the book.

2. Twilight ruined vampires. Well, I guess Stephanie Meyers ruined vampires. Now, vampires are being sold as "dark but caring". WTF. Sure, sexing them up and making them wear leather was tolerable but now they've gone too far... The amount of TV and book series aimed at young audiences with the same plot is staggering -- girl meets boy, boy tries to tell girl he's a vampire but falls in love, girl finds out boy is vampire, girl is scared, boy reassures her, boy and girl live together and are happily married.

What a pile of sh!t.

3. I have read Twilight out of pure hope that it was at least better in writing. It wasn't -- Stephanie Meyer's capabilities as an author are limited. Her writing style is weak and predictable. Her word choice is 5th grade level -- I've been more engrossed by touring pamphlets. Her flow was choppy. Her tone was bland. I could go on... I'm quite comfortable in saying that Twilight is one of the worst book series I have had the displeasure of reading.

I have only seen the first Twilight movie but that was enough to make me forgo the rest of the series. I've already discussed the low level of talent portrayed by the actors. But when I thought it couldn't get worse -- Muse actually allowed their music to be played throughout the movie?! Sure, it was the only part I liked about the film. But why Twilight? One again, I didn't know whether to laugh or throw my popcorn at the screen.

So, in summary.... Twilight is a horrible book AND movie. Either way, you're going to be tormented with crap.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 8:09:01 PM
At 4/10/2011 7:26:55 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
The Da Vinci Code can also feature in it. An awesome book converted into a crappy movie.

Yah, I couldn't even get through the Da Vinci Code movie the first time. One of my favourite things about the series is the historical background Dan Brown gives throughout the novels. Completely lost in the movies...
NervousGirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 9:44:11 AM
anyone have any classics?? Love all your ideas for modern books/films but if anyone can think of any classics they thought were good or bad then that would be fab!
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:22:27 AM
At 4/11/2011 9:44:11 AM, NervousGirl wrote:
anyone have any classics?? Love all your ideas for modern books/films but if anyone can think of any classics they thought were good or bad then that would be fab!

Sure.

The Great Gatsby.

The Count of Monte Cristo - The one with James Caviezel and Guy Pearce.

The Fountainhead

2001: A space Odyssey (I know the film's considered a classic, and the movie and the book were worked upon simultaneously, but it's my personal opinion that the book's far superior. So much so, that I'm confused whether the movie was from the book!)

Dracula - the one with Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder

I'm sure I can remember many more, but this is all I'm able to recollect right now.
And it will be true.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:25:49 AM
At 4/10/2011 8:09:01 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 4/10/2011 7:26:55 AM, gerrandesquire wrote:
The Da Vinci Code can also feature in it. An awesome book converted into a crappy movie.

Yah, I couldn't even get through the Da Vinci Code movie the first time. One of my favourite things about the series is the historical background Dan Brown gives throughout the novels. Completely lost in the movies...

But that's a problem that all movies have to face. It's not easy to dramatize all those historical narrations. Considering that the book was not that good in the first place (compared to Dan Brown's own works, Digital Fortress was his best, in my opinion), the movie did pretty well.

There should be quite a large gap between the quality of the book and the movie, which there is not, in this case.
And it will be true.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 1:25:36 PM
At 4/10/2011 7:42:38 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 4/10/2011 3:55:12 PM, unitedandy wrote:

1. The acting was terrible in Twilight. I was forced to see the first one with my little sister... Remember the scene when Bella first enters the science room and stops in front of the fan to look at Edward? Her hair is blowing and she looks like she was just electrocuted. I didn't know whether to laugh or puke. Through the entire movie, Bella looks terrified and Edward looks constipated. He's an angsty little twat -- and the amount of CGI used on his face was incredible. Overall, the acting was crap... Just like the book.

2. Twilight ruined vampires. Well, I guess Stephanie Meyers ruined vampires. Now, vampires are being sold as "dark but caring". WTF. Sure, sexing them up and making them wear leather was tolerable but now they've gone too far... The amount of TV and book series aimed at young audiences with the same plot is staggering -- girl meets boy, boy tries to tell girl he's a vampire but falls in love, girl finds out boy is vampire, girl is scared, boy reassures her, boy and girl live together and are happily married.

What a pile of sh!t.

3. I have read Twilight out of pure hope that it was at least better in writing. It wasn't -- Stephanie Meyer's capabilities as an author are limited. Her writing style is weak and predictable. Her word choice is 5th grade level -- I've been more engrossed by touring pamphlets. Her flow was choppy. Her tone was bland. I could go on... I'm quite comfortable in saying that Twilight is one of the worst book series I have had the displeasure of reading.

I have only seen the first Twilight movie but that was enough to make me forgo the rest of the series. I've already discussed the low level of talent portrayed by the actors. But when I thought it couldn't get worse -- Muse actually allowed their music to be played throughout the movie?! Sure, it was the only part I liked about the film. But why Twilight? One again, I didn't know whether to laugh or throw my popcorn at the screen.

So, in summary.... Twilight is a horrible book AND movie. Either way, you're going to be tormented with crap.

That's okay, I don't mind. I've been called worse. Anyway, on the acting, I just don't agree. The acting's pretty solid on it's own, but again comparing it to things in the same genre (teen fantasy, maybe?) like Harry potter, it's way better than everything else. It's defo the movie I'm looking forward to seeing this year. The book again compares well with Harry Potter, and it touches on various things that are interesting. On vampires, I usually hate vampire films, and didn't want to watch twilight coz I heard all the stuff people are saying about it just now, but when you watch it, it's great. Trust me, I've sat through several films which are said to be classics (blade runner, conan, the alien films) and wanted to boot the tv. Minority report? C'mon. Tom Cruise isn't exactly the best actor in the world, and I'd stack twilight up against it any day of the week.

Anyway, annhasle the nihilist, what standard of good and bad is being applied here? If all else fails, go for the nihilism.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 1:30:36 PM
Yeah, Twilight doesn't even come CLOSE to comparing to Harry Potter. In terms of character development, plot development, themes, details, and literary style (I could go on) Harry Potter pwns Twilight on every level.

http://i.imgur.com...

You thought Minority Report was a bad movie?
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 4:21:45 PM
At 4/11/2011 1:30:36 PM, nonentity wrote:
Yeah, Twilight doesn't even come CLOSE to comparing to Harry Potter. In terms of character development, plot development, themes, details, and literary style (I could go on) Harry Potter pwns Twilight on every level.

http://i.imgur.com...

You thought Minority Report was a bad movie?

The books I think is a close run thing. I love both to be honest, so if people want to quibble and say harry pottter is better, then fine. But I still think twilight is pretty fuckn awesome. On the films, it ain't even close. Comparing harry potter to twillight is like comparing sarah palin to isaac newton.

Minority report ain't bad, but . . . tom cruise is kinda sh!t, and the film itself is o.k.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:42:59 PM
The worst I can think of is 1984. It's probably the greatest book of the last 100 years and the movie was almost impossible to sit through.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 10:46:16 PM
At 4/11/2011 10:22:27 AM, Indophile wrote:

awesome movie :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 2:37:20 PM
At 4/11/2011 10:46:16 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 4/11/2011 10:22:27 AM, Indophile wrote:

awesome movie :)

why exactly?
And it will be true.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2011 11:53:35 PM
At 4/12/2011 11:48:56 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 4/12/2011 11:39:09 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
I found Kristen Stewart's inability to show emotion appalling.

FIXED THAT FOR YOU

Okay, so it was the wrong actress for bella but I found Kristen amazing to look at.

The werewolves in New Moon and Eclipse made everything suck. [Homo-erotic Mormo-fascism!!!]
'sup DDO -- july 2013
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:10:37 AM
At 4/12/2011 11:53:35 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

FIXED THAT FOR YOU

Okay, so it was the wrong actress for bella but I found Kristen amazing to look at.

The werewolves in New Moon and Eclipse made everything suck. [Homo-erotic Mormo-fascism!!!]

lol hot girls ok, hot guys= eww?

anyways i didn't watch the movie but every time i see a pic of that actress she looks incredibly stiff and awkward. doesn't bode well.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:35:03 AM
At 4/13/2011 12:10:37 AM, belle wrote:

FIXED THAT FOR YOU

lol hot girls ok, hot guys= eww?

anyways i didn't watch the movie but every time i see a pic of that actress she looks incredibly stiff and awkward. doesn't bode well.

It's not a gender thing the Volturi were awesome.

stiff and akward... when did you start hatin' on the skinny womynz?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:44:55 AM
At 4/13/2011 12:35:03 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
stiff and akward... when did you start hatin' on the skinny womynz?

pffft i am a skinny womynz. she just looks awkwardly posed in most of her pics
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 10:35:50 AM

FIXED THAT FOR YOU

To me, she just looks unhealthily pale, as if she just got up from the sick bed, and still not got rid of the chemicals inside :)

And it will be true.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2011 12:27:33 PM
At 4/7/2011 12:25:13 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 4/7/2011 4:23:00 AM, NervousGirl wrote:

and

Without going into likes/dislikes, here are some examples.

Eragon was terrible! I walked out of the theater when I saw that they put freaking feathers on a dragon...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.