Total Posts:30|Showing Posts:1-30
Jump to topic:

Fantasy Fiction Novels.

I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2009 1:00:44 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Who else here reads Fantasy Fiction Novels? (No John, no anime, that's different). I've read The Magician[1], by Raymond E. Feist [2]. It's part of the Riftwar saga[3] and is quite the beefy read (600 pages, but it's the extended version).

Who else reads books of this genre? Any recommended authors?

[1] = http://en.wikipedia.org...(novel)
[2] = http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] = http://en.wikipedia.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2009 9:59:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I never understood fantasy. Why should I care for someone's overactive imagination? Why should I care for banal, trite, repetitive, pretentious, crap fiction?

I demand genuinely well formed prose. I bathe in original thought. Even someone like Grisham can provide an entertaining story . . . but fantasy? I don't see the positives.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2009 10:20:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan are good bets if you want the serious stuff (bias-- Goodkind is on the same political mission I am and you can see it, Jordan probably isn't). If you want laffs with magic, go for Piers Anthony or Terry Pratchett. Stay away from Terry Brooks (why's every other fantasy writer named Terry anyway? Who knows?) unless you want to know exactly what's going to happen when, because you do, because he's the formula Poejoe thinks all fantasy is :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2009 10:23:07 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Oh, and by the way, 600 pages isn't that beefy, it's about average for decent quality non-comedy fantasy, you need that much room to build a high fantasy world and still have a good story.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2009 10:04:12 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I will check out Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan. 600 pages is big for me because it's my first.

Did you say Goodkind is on a pro-libertarian mission?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2009 10:16:47 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I recommend the Vlad Taltos saga by Steven Brust. The world he creates is really deep, and a bit more creative than the standard fantasy setting. And he just *plops* you right in the middle of it to fend for yourself, but you get it right away.

No introductions necessary.

It's like The Godfather mixed with 007 in a world of swords and sorcery.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2009 5:05:14 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/25/2009 10:04:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I will check out Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan. 600 pages is big for me because it's my first.

Did you say Goodkind is on a pro-libertarian mission?

Not just that... a specifically Objectivist mission. Since the villains, especially in the later books, are basically Communists, you'll probably read it as a tragedy :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2009 12:37:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/25/2009 5:05:14 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/25/2009 10:04:12 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I will check out Terry Goodkind and Robert Jordan. 600 pages is big for me because it's my first.

Did you say Goodkind is on a pro-libertarian mission?

Not just that... a specifically Objectivist mission. Since the villains, especially in the later books, are basically Communists, you'll probably read it as a tragedy :)

You read a fantasy novel to read the Communists were evil? You just have to look at any history text book to see that. Now, a story which pits a capitalist/libertarian dictator as a villain, now that is unique.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2009 1:43:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I don't read it for that sake, I read it for the story. The propaganda is just a bonus.

And the reason why there aren't stories with libertarian villains is because the people who think of libertarians as villains usually have no idea how to write one, so it ends up looking like a Republican instead.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2009 1:49:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/26/2009 1:43:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I don't read it for that sake, I read it for the story. The propaganda is just a bonus.

And the reason why there aren't stories with libertarian villains is because the people who think of libertarians as villains usually have no idea how to write one, so it ends up looking like a Republican instead.

The book I'm reading could be considered anti-libertarian. The empire is thoroughly opposed to slavery , and is at war with a nation that keeps slave, and is an empire, but has very libertarian aspects (it even contains magicians above the law).
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2009 8:38:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/26/2009 1:49:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/26/2009 1:43:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I don't read it for that sake, I read it for the story. The propaganda is just a bonus.

And the reason why there aren't stories with libertarian villains is because the people who think of libertarians as villains usually have no idea how to write one, so it ends up looking like a Republican instead.

The book I'm reading could be considered anti-libertarian. The empire is thoroughly opposed to slavery , and is at war with a nation that keeps slave, and is an empire, but has very libertarian aspects (it even contains magicians above the law).
What on earth does having a certain class of people above the law and a certain class beneath the law have to do with libertarianism? Anarchist libertarians want no laws, minarchist libertarians want everyone within the law, there is no third libertarian position :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2009 1:02:59 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/26/2009 8:38:55 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/26/2009 1:49:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/26/2009 1:43:33 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I don't read it for that sake, I read it for the story. The propaganda is just a bonus.

And the reason why there aren't stories with libertarian villains is because the people who think of libertarians as villains usually have no idea how to write one, so it ends up looking like a Republican instead.

The book I'm reading could be considered anti-libertarian. The empire is thoroughly opposed to slavery , and is at war with a nation that keeps slave, and is an empire, but has very libertarian aspects (it even contains magicians above the law).
What on earth does having a certain class of people above the law and a certain class beneath the law have to do with libertarianism? Anarchist libertarians want no laws, minarchist libertarians want everyone within the law, there is no third libertarian position :)

The Tsurani Empire contains extensive private property laws, including slavery, self-rule on one's land( even that above the Emporer and warlord's). It would be considered Libertarian to an extent. For more read The Magician by Ranymond E. Feist (God I feel like an ad-whore)
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2009 1:44:46 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Although more closely resembling steampunk than high fantasy - Perdido Street Station and Iron Council I would highly recommend.

http://www.sfsite.com...
http://www.sfsite.com...

For the more fantasy minded..

http://www.sfsite.com...

If you prefer a 'real world' setting..

http://www.sfsite.com...
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2009 10:39:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
That sounds like an extreme form of federalism, libertarianism dervies from the nonaggression principle. :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2009 3:22:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/27/2009 10:39:29 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
That sounds like an extreme form of federalism, libertarianism dervies from the nonaggression principle. :)

Whatever you say Ragnar. If the Libertarians are the baddies you say, "Oh no, they be Confederates!".

Actually, the emperors in your books aren't socialists, they're just Fascists. That's different.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2009 3:32:03 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Lol.

If you want a book with a libertarian villain... I dunno, anything with Ebenezer Scrooge or Cornelius Vanderbilt in it? Not likely to be fantasy though.

Seem to remember something in the history books about socialist novels where the farmer asks "What's your basis for these freight rates anyway?" and the libertarian (actually libertarian as far as I can tell, as in, doesn't keep slaves lol) villain says "Whatever the market will bear."
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2009 3:54:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/27/2009 3:32:03 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Lol.

If you want a book with a libertarian villain... I dunno, anything with Ebenezer Scrooge or Cornelius Vanderbilt in it? Not likely to be fantasy though.

Seem to remember something in the history books about socialist novels where the farmer asks "What's your basis for these freight rates anyway?" and the libertarian (actually libertarian as far as I can tell, as in, doesn't keep slaves lol) villain says "Whatever the market will bear."

Communism and Libertarianism both have slaves. It just depends if it's big or small government.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2009 10:59:59 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Since when does libertarianism permit slavery?

I think you're a bit confused-- it means you cannot initiate force against another person or their property-- including to make that person "property," since a person inherently cannot be rightful property of anyone but themselves unless they happen to transfer themselves.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2009 12:14:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/28/2009 10:59:59 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Since when does libertarianism permit slavery?

I think you're a bit confused-- it means you cannot initiate force against another person or their property-- including to make that person "property," since a person inherently cannot be rightful property of anyone but themselves unless they happen to transfer themselves.

Bonded labour is it's fancy term. Someone owes you a debt, so they work to pay it off. In the meantime, you charge them board and rent. It's what happens in a unregulated market.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2009 1:00:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
That's not slavery if it was outlined in the contract of the debt.

And if it wasn't, no libertarian court would permit such an impressive presumption.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PervRat
Posts: 963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2009 11:40:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm a fan of the fantasy genre, specifically "animal" or "anthropomorphic" fantasy. Classic examples would be Jack London's Call of the Wild and White Fang.

My favorites would be Ruthford George Montgomery's Yellow Eyes and William Horwood's Wolves of Time series.
Lifeisgood
Posts: 295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 3:47:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Unfortunately, most fantasy books I have access to are trash not even worth the paper they're written on. The only things worse are romance novels.

However, I happen to hate what our world is shaping to be. I love swords and ancient warfare. Always have. I am looking for a good fantasy book. I want realism; lots of magic drives me crazy. I want a world similar in structure to our own. I want deep characters, plot, and world. I want a feeling of awe as I read the epic sagas of the main character.

In other words, I want something similar to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Any suggestions?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2009 7:20:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
http://www.amazon.com...

Keeps magic to a small amount and otherwise is a good epic fantasy.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lifeisgood
Posts: 295
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2009 2:48:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 7/6/2009 7:20:38 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Keeps magic to a small amount and otherwise is a good epic fantasy.

Thanks, Ragnar. I'll see if I can get it from the library.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Yarely
Posts: 329
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 9:49:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does Sci-Fi count? Beause I love "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
"Anarchism stands for the liberation of the human mind from the dominion of religion and liberation of the human body from the coercion of property; liberation from the shackles and restraint of government. It stands for a social order based on the free grouping of individuals""
-Emma Goldman
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2011 1:14:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/3/2011 9:49:45 AM, Yarely wrote:
That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die.

Cool story sis.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
rarugged
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2011 2:19:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
George R. R. Martin.

His first three books are brilliant.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.