Jump to topic:

Electric acoustic with bass amp?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2011 2:23:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Can an electric acoustic guitar be used with a bass amplifier?

I as thinking about getting an electric acoustic and I thought I remembered hearing that you could use an acoustic with a bass amp, which I have.

I thought it would be a good idea as it would save allot of money. But I'm afraid to try it as I don't know how it will sound and how well it will work. My amp is 60 rumble if it matters.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 4:44:39 AM
It should definitely make a sound. Whether it makes a sound you want is a different matter. I'm no expert but I'd imagine it might give quite a dirty sound which could maybe work well for some stuff. Plug it in and see.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2011 5:10:44 PM
At 4/23/2011 4:44:39 AM, feverish wrote:
It should definitely make a sound. Whether it makes a sound you want is a different matter. I'm no expert but I'd imagine it might give quite a dirty sound which could maybe work well for some stuff. Plug it in and see.

Okay. But I can't plug it in cause I don't have an acoustic.

But yeah that's mainly what I'm worried abut. I'll probably go to a music store and ask somebody about it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
bigpoppajustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 4:34:36 PM
You can use a bass amp for an acoustic electric. Unless you'll be playing in a situation where an amp is necessary, you should be a-okay without it.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 4:46:04 PM
Yes, and I know this for a fact. The sound you get will depend on the amp, but it will play.

Do not plug a bass into a guitar amp though. You will get a sound, but you are more likely to blow something up. It isn't likely that you will damage anything with an acoustic plugged into a bass.

I played my acoustic through a rather large fender bass amp for the longest while, and it worked fine. I was playing out, and this guy gave me this Big old Randal amp.. It sounded like a fridge with knobs on it when my electric was plugged in, but I found that it worked great with an acoustic. I don't use a bass amp for an acoustic anymore, but I do know that they work.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 9:45:11 PM
At 5/13/2011 4:46:04 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Yes, and I know this for a fact. The sound you get will depend on the amp, but it will play.

Do not plug a bass into a guitar amp though. You will get a sound, but you are more likely to blow something up. It isn't likely that you will damage anything with an acoustic plugged into a bass.

I played my acoustic through a rather large fender bass amp for the longest while, and it worked fine. I was playing out, and this guy gave me this Big old Randal amp.. It sounded like a fridge with knobs on it when my electric was plugged in, but I found that it worked great with an acoustic. I don't use a bass amp for an acoustic anymore, but I do know that they work.

Cool I have a fender as well :)

Bass guitars sound pretty good with an acoustic amp as well.