Jump to topic:

Cowboy Bebop is a Piece of Shi­­t

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:00:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd be interested in debating this topic. CB is just an intrinsically bad piece of garbage. I'd be arguing that it has major obvious and intentional flaws sustained only by cheap gimmicks.

I'm re-watching it now because I need something to do in the morning with cardio. It'll probably take me 2-3 weeks to watch it because I want to watch Akira and 5cm/second which I have heard good things about.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 9:08:46 AM
Blasphemous Heretic!!!
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:38:19 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:17:13 AM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/30/2011 9:08:46 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Blasphemous Heretic!!!

It is a stupid piece of sh­i­t. It's like all cheap teenage animes. They do some fancy stuff in the first episode and then 95% of the series is totally uneventful and stupid. Planet of the black people? Oh no a food monster? A random floating vampire appeared? k.

The best metaphor I can think of is it must be like fu­cking a drunken frat boy who blows his load in 10 seconds, but keeps going because he said he could last 30 minutes even though he's completely limp and just kind of smushing it around. He might get it up again at the end, but it'll only be another 10 seconds of entertainment and then he's done for good."

No, its not, an example of an cheap teenage anime would be Naruto. Cowboy Bebop was way better than that therefore it cannot be considered a piece of shite. Now it may not be the best series but it was better than many so please don't call it an piece of shite.
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Minuteman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:39:39 AM
At 6/30/2011 9:17:13 AM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/30/2011 9:08:46 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Blasphemous Heretic!!!

It is a stupid piece of sh­i­t. It's like all cheap teenage animes. They do some fancy stuff in the first episode and then 95% of the series is totally uneventful and stupid. Planet of the black people? Oh no a food monster? A random floating vampire appeared? k.

The best metaphor I can think of is it must be like fu­cking a drunken frat boy who blows his load in 10 seconds, but keeps going because he said he could last 30 minutes even though he's completely limp and just kind of smushing it around. He might get it up again at the end, but it'll only be another 10 seconds of entertainment and then he's done for good."

Are you using cyrillic to beat the sh!t censor?
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:48:02 AM
At 6/30/2011 10:38:19 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

No, its not, an example of an cheap teenage anime would be Naruto. Cowboy Bebop was way better than that therefore it cannot be considered a piece of shite. Now it may not be the best series but it was better than many so please don't call it an piece of shite.

They're both garbage. Its just with Bebop you're likely to prick yourself with a used heroin needle a couple times.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 10:56:49 AM
At 6/30/2011 10:48:02 AM, Sieben wrote:

They're both garbage. Its just with Bebop you're likely to prick yourself with a used heroin needle a couple times.

On my rating scale anything that is above Naruto is not shite, I say it was better than Naruto and Morbito [I HATE Morbito] so it cannot be classified in the same range as them. Maybe you should post your rating scale system so as to make an true understanding of your position easier?
Minister Of Trolling
:
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:02:55 AM
At 6/30/2011 10:56:49 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

On my rating scale anything that is above Naruto is not shite, I say it was better than Naruto and Morbito [I HATE Morbito] so it cannot be classified in the same range as them. Maybe you should post your rating scale system so as to make an true understanding of your position easier?

Rating system:

Garbage
Not garbage

Why such a simple rating system? I only need to know if something is worth watching. I don't see any point if figuring out if FLCL was better than Paranoia Agent.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:04:51 AM
At 6/30/2011 11:02:55 AM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/30/2011 10:56:49 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Rating system:

Garbage
Not garbage

Why such a simple rating system? I only need to know if something is worth watching. I don't see any point if figuring out if FLCL was better than Paranoia Agent.

WHAT IS YOUR CRITERIA!
Minister Of Trolling
:
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:16:40 AM
At 6/30/2011 11:04:51 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

WHAT IS YOUR CRITERIA!

Spaceships.

No. Its more complicated and always on a case by case basis. My criticisms of CB are an example.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:18:11 AM
At 6/30/2011 11:16:40 AM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/30/2011 11:04:51 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

WHAT IS YOUR CRITERIA!

Spaceships.

No. Its more complicated and always on a case by case basis. My criticisms of CB are an example.

Just type out an list.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 11:26:55 AM
At 6/30/2011 11:18:11 AM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Just type out an list.

No. I'm not going to waste time probing my brain and reconstructing my thought processes into a general theory of taste. Be satisfied that CB is garbage.

Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:12:05 PM
If you're looking for a quality anime, watch Monster. It's deep, dark, engaging, the art style is extremely competent and the story is brilliant.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:13:14 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:12:05 PM, Kinesis wrote:
If you're looking for a quality anime, watch Monster. It's deep, dark, engaging, the art style is extremely competent and the story is brilliant.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:15:20 PM

Great! I had already downloaded it. I've downloaded a ton of anime and I'm plowing through it.

Eden of the East and Birdy the Mighty were both so bad.

OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:22:05 PM

I've heard Monster is good but it's pretty long. I've seen Baccano which I thought was decent and Death Note which was very good but could have used a little editing.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:22:11 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:15:20 PM, Sieben wrote:

Great! I had already downloaded it. I've downloaded a ton of anime and I'm plowing through it.

Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Now Then Here And There, FMA, FMA:B, Tenchi Muyo, Mahoromatic, Rosario + Vampire, Shadow Star, Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate, Star Driver, & Infinite Ryvius.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:25:17 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:22:11 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Now Then Here And There, FMA, FMA:B, Tenchi Muyo, Mahoromatic, Rosario + Vampire, Shadow Star, Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate, Star Driver, & Infinite Ryvius.

NTHT is excellent. Everything else you listed looks really bad. I don't know how you lumped NTHT in there with supermecha vampire highschool adventures.

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:26:48 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:22:05 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

I've heard Monster is good but it's pretty long. I've seen Baccano which I thought was decent
I hated the characters in Baccano. NANDA MIRRIAM?!!??!?!?!?!? Character design so crappy. Plot so crappy. Very uneventful anime ala my frat boy analogy.

and Death Note which was very good but could have used a little editing.

I need a pretty strong reason to watch anything that takes place in high school.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:29:20 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:25:17 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/30/2011 12:22:11 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

NTHT is excellent. Everything else you listed looks really bad. I don't know how you lumped NTHT in there with supermecha vampire highschool adventures.

Blasphemous Heretic!!! Mecha are amazing [especially TTGL], you probably hate Five Star Stories as well.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:32:44 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:29:20 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

Blasphemous Heretic!!! Mecha are amazing [especially TTGL], you probably hate Five Star Stories as well.

I'm not really familiar with anime. I just looked into it because, like all mediums, it has some very impressive pieces. But most of it is complete garbage. Just like all mediums.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:37:41 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:32:44 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/30/2011 12:29:20 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

I'm not really familiar with anime. I just looked into it because, like all mediums, it has some very impressive pieces. But most of it is complete garbage. Just like all mediums.

That's a given.
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:40:01 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:26:48 PM, Sieben wrote:
I need a pretty strong reason to watch anything that takes place in high school.

Death Note has very few scenes in educational institutions, the most common location in the series is a police department.

Though I suppose this means you'd dislike Full Metal Panic, my favorite anime.

As for Cowboy Bebop, I was too bored to watch more than an episode or two.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:42:10 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:40:01 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

"The series follows Sousuke Sagara, a member of a covert anti-terrorist private military organization known as Mithril, tasked with protecting Kaname Chidori, a spirited Japanese high school girl. He moves to Japan to study at Chidori's school, Jindai High School, with assistance from his comrades Kurz Weber and Melissa Mao. Having never experienced social interactions, Sousuke is found as a military maniac by his schoolmates as he interprets everyday situations from a combat perspective. He comes to relate with Chidori who realizes that Sousuke is protecting her, but he does not reveal the reasons due to orders as well as the fact he does not know why Chidori is being targeted by different organizations. As the series continues, it is revealed that Chidori is one of the few "Whispered", a special breed of people who possesses information on advanced technology called "Black Technology.""

Is this accurate? It sounds pretty bad.

SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:43:13 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:26:48 PM, Sieben wrote:

Death Note has very few scenes in educational institutions, the most common location in the series is a police department.

As for Cowboy Bebop, I was too bored to watch more than an episode or two.

I forgot all about FMP, thanks for reminding me [for an Super Robot War to forget an Mecha series is down right disgraceful]!
Minister Of Trolling
:
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:49:17 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:42:10 PM, Sieben wrote:

"The series follows Sousuke Sagara, a member of a covert anti-terrorist private military organization known as Mithril, tasked with protecting Kaname Chidori, a spirited Japanese high school girl. He moves to Japan to study at Chidori's school, Jindai High School, with assistance from his comrades Kurz Weber and Melissa Mao. Having never experienced social interactions, Sousuke is found as a military maniac by his schoolmates as he interprets everyday situations from a combat perspective. He comes to relate with Chidori who realizes that Sousuke is protecting her, but he does not reveal the reasons due to orders as well as the fact he does not know why Chidori is being targeted by different organizations. As the series continues, it is revealed that Chidori is one of the few "Whispered", a special breed of people who possesses information on advanced technology called "Black Technology.""

Is this accurate? It sounds pretty bad.

I don't like most mecha series either, this and Code Geass are the only real exceptions for me. It depends on whether you like a series that's all comedy one episode and serious action the next. If i had to analyze the appeal, it's that the comedy parts make me identify enough with the characters to not get bored during all the serious bits (The key to interesting anime to me seems to be making you care what happens to the characters).

The only real way to figure out if you'll like an anime is to watch an episode or two, unless your tastes are really as simple as you make them sound (Absolutely never high school, mechas, or vampires!)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:50:33 PM
The best anime, IMHO, are, in no particular order: Witch Hunter Robin, Solty Rei, The Third, Rurouni Kenshin (and the Samurai X movie versions), Mushi-Shi, Kino's Journey, Habane Renmei, Castle in the Sky (and other Miyazaki), Kamichu!, Chobits, and Great Teacher Onizuka

I think anyone with time to catch up on anime this summer should try to get those.

There's no accounting for taste. I like the very silly Love Hina, Please Teacher, and Mahoromatic. They all say something interesting about Japanese society.

There is a really odd anime called Initial D for those pursuing advanced studies. It's ostensibly about drift racing on mountain roads. The animation is truly wretched and the music even worse. It lives on plot: it's all about pursuing passions: too little and you fail from weakness, too much and you crash and burn.

The deal with Cowboy Bebop is characterization and tone -- the wild west in the space age theme. The animation carries the tone. Lots of cowboys riding into the sunset type of stuff. The plots aren't much. I think it's second rank, but not wretched.

There will be a quiz in the fall.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:52:33 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:49:17 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I don't like most mecha series either, this and Code Geass are the only real exceptions for me. It depends on whether you like a series that's all comedy one episode and serious action the next. If i had to analyze the appeal, it's that the comedy parts make me identify enough with the characters to not get bored during all the serious bits (The key to interesting anime to me seems to be making you care what happens to the characters).

Maybe. I've downloaded worse. I can always delete it...

The only real way to figure out if you'll like an anime is to watch an episode or two, unless your tastes are really as simple as you make them sound (Absolutely never high school, mechas, or vampires!)

Those are just cheap gimmicks. They can be done well but I see a lot of anime where those devices add absolutely NOTHING. They're just there to tap into teen audiences.

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2011 12:57:03 PM
At 6/30/2011 12:50:33 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
The best anime, IMHO, are, in no particular order: Witch Hunter Robin, Solty Rei, The Third, Rurouni Kenshin (and the Samurai X movie versions), Mushi-Shi, Kino's Journey, Habane Renmei, Castle in the Sky (and other Miyazaki), Kamichu!, Chobits, and Great Teacher Onizuka

Downloading Witch Hunter Robin, Solty Rei, and Castle in the Sky.

Will return to this thread and pick up the others if I like any of them. Will be a long while.